The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
THE H2O DIET
04 Mar 2014, 12:52
I have just downloaded, FOR FREE!, on my kindle from the Amazon web site via the link above.....'THE H2O Diet'...."how to eat, exercise, drink and dream".....by Gene Coates M.A. And Jeanette Murueta DDS. It's all about the water in our diets, I think! only just started to read it. I would love to know what others think of this especially our resident brain box and oracle of all thing diet related, yes, I'm looking at you @carorees hope it is interesting otherwise I'll get drummed out of the brownies for wasting folks time :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
Re: THE H2O DIET
04 Mar 2014, 13:20
:heart: Lol @ballerina Thanks just got it and will read later on sounds interesting just H20 will report back and obviously await Caroline's opinion. :heart: Sue
04 Mar 2014, 13:37
Goodness. I hope it is not ONLY H2O. :bugeyes: I try to drink a lot of water as most other "diets" recommend and I think there is a calculation as to what is the optimal amount depending on your weight. There is a guy in the office who drinks 3 litres a day and he has this huge canister on his desk. Somehow that seems far too much to me. I heard too much can be and too for washing away the bodies natural minerals.
04 Mar 2014, 14:30
Had a quick look using the 'see inside' function on Amazon. My immediate thought is that the authors are a) not scientifically qualified, b) using the general approach so common with diet books of making claims without providing any scientific references to support their theories.

The adage that you need to drink x glasses of water every day is bunkum. Your body is well able to control how much water it contains, but does not do it particularly precisely.

The idea that you need water to burn fat is, well, I have no idea where they get that from.

They make some statements that are possibly kind of true but are muddled in their thinking. For example "It takes up to 6 hours to digest foods made out of ground complex carbohydrates like wheat and corn. Unfortunately, having this kind of carbohydrate in your body changes your metabolism. It takes you in a completely different direction than the one you desire. It makes you consume carbohydrates that are necessary, because the slow release of sugars prevents you from using the fat stored in your fat cells."
You can't put a value like 6 hours onto digestion of any particular foods as the rate of digestion depends on so many factors, also the time taken to digest food is irrelevant as it is the time taken to absorb and store the nutrients that is important not the digestion phase. I think that when they say "it makes you consume carbohydrates that are necessary..." they are trying in a muddled way to say that because insulin levels are raised by eating carbs, you can't access fat stores so you are driven to eat more carbohydrates to supply energy due to metabolic inflexibility.

They suggest replacing wheat and corn with other high carb/high sugar foods. That is a no, no in my book. Swapping one source of carbs for another is not what we need. Eating high sugar food will result in glucose spikes followed by insulin spikes followed by low blood sugar and hence an increase in appetite plus poor glucose tolerance. A very bad idea.

They seem to think that water is involved in storing fat. I really have no idea where they get this from.

My overall view, then is that this book is full of misinformation and muddled thinking. I would not bother reading it.
04 Mar 2014, 15:00
Thanks @carorees That's saved me from the read.
at first I thought it was another little gem from our resident forum jester @ballerina :heart:
04 Mar 2014, 16:44
I started to read it but like Caroline I decided that eating sugar and other carbs and drinking LOADS of water was not my idea of a diet, unlikely to finish the book, come on,it was FREE! I had hopes for better, but thanks anyway Caroline for the précis! just sorry it was a bit of a damp squid, as my stupid boss used to say :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
04 Mar 2014, 18:04
@carorees what would we do without you? Thank you so much for your comments, how do you manage it? You're just brilliant and so logical about commenting on things! Can you lend me your brain for a day or two? :cool:

P.S. You're nearly there with your target aren't you!!!!!! Amazing. :victory:
04 Mar 2014, 18:13
Yes @carorees ypu are our very own wise Brown Owl! X
04 Mar 2014, 19:31
You can't ingest that stuff! Haven't you read the studies???

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Sheesh.
9 posts Page 1 of 1