The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi Everybody

I am not the one who is new to Fasting but a friend of mine did her first full Fast Day yesterday and she told me she had a very restless night last night and found it hard to get to sleep.

She said she then had a 'rich' breakfast this morning - eggs benedict and has been sick all day.

Has anybody found this at all, I don't think I did, but then I don't sleep well either way!

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Maggie :smile: :smile:
I sometimes sleep really badly after a fast day, and it is a common compliant, there is a thread somewhere on it. Perhaps just te rich food straight afterwards aggravated her digestive system after fasting for the first time. Perhaps she would be better off breaking her fast with something a little plainer, poached eggs and spinach or mushrooms maybe? If I find the therad on sleeping, I'll bump it for you.
Hi Maggiee. Yes it is very common. Many here use magnesium supplements to help (I'm one of them). Another tip is to save 100 calories to eat before going to sleep and have something tryptophan rich such as cottage cheese or pumpkin seeds. Ho Shu Wo tea is another one that helps some people. I agree with Debs about starting out gently in the morning so as not to overload the system.
I used to be restless and endure lack of sleep on a fast day, but it was a phase and it passed. I sleep like a log now!

Definitely echo the advice about not having a rich breakfast the morning after a fast. I have learned the hard way not to have freshly brewed coffee, oats in any form, or rich food first thing. If I want something like eggs benedict (my favourite) I wait until later.
Cos we know what happens to you @Winsome don't we? :wink:
LMAO @Debs People pay good money to clinics to achieve what happens to me if I indulge in those things post-fast :lol:
I have similar here. I do find that having a little bit of carbohydrates on my dinner plate helps, maybe 100kcals of carrots or similar (no grains), or saving a mug of skimmed milk with a teaspoon of cocoa powder and sweetener just before bed or if I'm being lazy an options hot chocolate.
I don't get many sleepless nights post fast anymore and to be truthful I didn't find that the lack of sleep did any harm, I was as able the day after as if I had had a full nights sleep. It was the the tossing and turning that was bothersome. Getting up and doing something helped.
Hello everybody

Many thanks for your help, the information has been relayed and duly noted.

Much appreciated.

cheers Maggie :smile: :smile:
I experienced this when I first started fasting. I then read here somewhere that a piece of fruit in the evening might help. I have done that and slept well. Yesterday I forgot and last night was terrible. Felt like I hardly slept. I really have to remember to get some carbs.
9 posts Page 1 of 1