The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

34 posts Page 1 of 3
Bullet proof coffee
04 Apr 2014, 03:18
Thought I'd resurrect this topic for anyone out there who hasn't come across this before.
Just tried one for the first time, mixed coconut oil, butter (well Dairysoft was all I coudl get hold of, and vanilla extract), added a double coffee shot and used the coffee machine frother in it. Result? Weird!!!
First of all the coffee was too strong so that didn't help. Second, the oily texture on my lips was a bit disconcerting. Thirdly, I couldn't blend it properly.

The concept is nice, but the execution was lacking somewhat!! I am going to see if I can get a mini hand frother as I've seen them in two dollar shops.
Any tips from you afficionados out there?
Re: Bullet proof coffee
04 Apr 2014, 03:44
I gave it a go a while back. I just used my regular cafetiere coffee though. I gather that the main health benefits are from an alternatively roasted coffee that has less chemicals and therefore less negative side affacts associated with normal coffee. My brother has 3 coffee shops and is a triathlete. He had never heard of it.

I agree about the oily lips, @Debs but it tasted great! I really like coconut and use the solid oil for cooking. I did find that it was much higher in cals than my regular skinny coffee, so I haven't made it since.
Here is a link on how to make it and some benefits http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/
04 Apr 2014, 03:57
Must be unsalted butter (preferably organic grass fed - I know hard for you where you are). Blending is vital! It needs to look like this
04 Apr 2014, 05:09
I wish I liked coffee just so I could try this.
04 Apr 2014, 10:00
KataMac wrote: I wish I liked coffee just so I could try this.

I wish I liked coconut oil :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
04 Apr 2014, 10:12
I like both, but cannot countenance them together!! Bleugh.....
04 Apr 2014, 10:19
Ballerina wrote:
KataMac wrote: I wish I liked coffee just so I could try this.

I wish I liked coconut oil :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:

I love both the ingredients but together sorry but sounding awful to me :shock: Tried the "pulling" that alone in my mouth
Yyuuukkkkkk
I'm with you Penny on this one.
04 Apr 2014, 10:46
PennyForthem wrote: I like both, but cannot countenance them together!! Bleugh.....

Me too @PennyForthem.Coffee with cream for me and a teaspoon of coconut oil separately! :victory:
04 Apr 2014, 10:50
Oh my, I cannot imagine doing this.

I will stick with my tablespoon of whole milk in my lungo shot of espresso.
04 Apr 2014, 11:00
Well you lot are helpful aren't you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
04 Apr 2014, 11:12
I love bpc, organic coconut oil and Kerrygold but I let myself down with cheap decaffeinated. I don't have it very often as I feel I should be consuming something with more vitamins and minerals instead. I mix it up with a mini whisk thing I originally bought for stirring Spirulina into fruit juice, it wasn't very good at that.
04 Apr 2014, 11:13
I love bulletproof coffee but one cup is enough because of the richness. @rawkaren is the expert on making it. I melt 1 tablespoon each coconut oil and unsalted butter in the microwave in the container that came with my hand blender, make coffee directly in it with my Keurig coffee maker and then blend it until frothy and pour in a cup (see photo in @rawkaren 's post. Very yummy and filling
04 Apr 2014, 11:27
Yes that is what I thought I would do Judithn and get a little cheap hand whisk. The butter I used was horrible which didn't help. Will have to see if I can get some nice butter to bring back with me. I have a large jar of coconut oil which I have to use up!!!
04 Apr 2014, 11:53
It's an interesting concept. But I too, would not like the greasiness, don't do much coffee, so it's not really something I would go out and buy all the bits for just in case I hate it.

But it can't be all that bad as many people obviously love it including our very own @rawkaren :heart:

I have however switched to butter and full fat yoghurts. And as such we are getting through loads of bread!! Had to resurrect the bread maker last weekend.

Yipeeee.
04 Apr 2014, 12:30
I only use coconut oil in black coffee and whizz in blender. Comes out milky white and sweet. In these times of multitasking I like that I can drink my coffee and moisturize my lips at the same time!
34 posts Page 1 of 3