The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

4 posts Page 1 of 1
First Fast Issues
23 Apr 2014, 08:35
So pleased with myself, I promised myself I wouldn´t but couldn´t help it, stepped on the scales this morning and, for the first time in 12 months, I am under 13 stone, and well under 13 stone, close to 12.5 stone. So really pleased and motivated. I went to bed last night feeling rather sick and headachey, which I know are symptoms of the first couple of fasts. This morning, I still feel a little sick and headachy, and like I could sleep! Hope this passes soon. My second fast is tomorrow. I noticed this morning I wasn´t overly hungry and had to force myself to eat breakfast which I kept very healthy, oats with water and a couple of strawberries. I am looking forward to curry tonight. Now planning my calorie intake for tomorrow, I think I will stick to much the same as yesterday, a few carrots for breakfast and a nice meat and veg dinner. So I wanted to ask, (if anyone is still reading this protracted post) do people take aspirin or any other form of pain relief for the headaches or just sweat it out? I am drinking plenty of water. Thanks guys XX
Re: First Fast Issues
23 Apr 2014, 08:40
I'm one of the lucky ones who never got a 'fast' headache but if I did then I would have taken painkillers. No point in making this harder and the other thing is if you don't feel hungry in the morning then perhaps you might wish to try delaying your breakfast til nearer lunchtime. I don't believe in forcing food into a body that is already telling me that it is not ready to eat, but the breakfast issue IS such an individual thing, good luck

Ballerina x :heart:
23 Apr 2014, 09:07
Congrats on your first fast!

I take tylenol or something every time I have a headache. If I don't, bad things happen. I didn't really get headaches specifically from fasting, though. You say you're drinking enough water, which is great. Also make sure you're getting your usual level of caffeine. Tea and coffee are calorie free until you add milk and sugar.
23 Apr 2014, 10:28
Hi and congratulations on completing your first fast!

It is fine to take painkillers to combat the headaches that so many people experience in their first fasts. I would advice you stick to paracetamol (acetominophen/tylenol) rather than aspirin or ibuprofen type painkillers as paracetamol is kinder to your stomach.

Once your body has got used to fasting you won't get headaches. However, as well as taking pain killers you can also try to alleviate the headaches by: drinking plenty of water, not giving up caffeine if you usually drink it and having a salty drink such as soup, bovril/marmite, or bouillon/stock.

Good luck
4 posts Page 1 of 1