The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

17 posts Page 1 of 2
fast days
16 May 2014, 20:16
Is it okay to just have water and black coffee on my fast days?
fast days
16 May 2014, 20:35
Do you have to eat on fast days and should you have set fast days? Also should I not exceed 2000 cals on days off?

Thanks

alexsid
Re: fast days
16 May 2014, 21:34
Welcome alexsid! Yes those liquids are fine as is 2000 cals on feed days,or if you wish you can eat to,or under,your TDEE ( Total Daily Energy Expenditure) You can find a TDEE calculator online.Also,on occasional days you can eat a little over yr TDEE! :like:
Plenty of info on here,browse round and enjoy! Good luck
ps ...choose whichever days suit you personally for yr two fast days x and you can swap them from week to week depending on yr schedule! X
16 May 2014, 22:00
Did you mean can you only drink liquids on fast days in other words a total fast ? I am reading the Every Other Day Diet by Dr Krista Vardy and it seems from her research that a modified fast of 25 per cent eg 500 calories is preferable as it prevents the loss of muscle mass which causes people to regain weight. I have been a victim of regaining weight after diets for over 20 years so I want to prevent that.
16 May 2014, 22:27
Quite a few of us liquid fast. I actually find it easier. If I eat, I feel hungrier afterwards. There used to be a regular weekly thread for the liquid fasters, but that seems to have stopped this year.

That's interesting Pansy about Dr Vardy's research. I do a lot of walking, plus weights/other muscle building exercise. Wonder if that will offset the loss of muscle mass from the total fast?
16 May 2014, 22:43
Hi @alexsid you can fast on any day that suits you, many of us do Monday (to repair any weekend indulgence :grin: ) plus another. you can can have food or just liquids, again whatever suits you. If you put your details into the Tracker (which you can keep private to yourself) you will be given your calorie allowance - the blanket 2000 cals might be too high for weight loss. Make sure you measure yourself everywhere as sometimes the scales don't seem to move but inches/cms do still disappear; and from interesting paces, like your neck! Have a good look around the site, the coloured balloons at the top of the page are a good place to start and there is usually someone on line to answer any queries. Good Luck on your journey :clover: .
17 May 2014, 18:47
Thank you all for your replies. Really helpful. I'm in the middle of 2x 12 hr weekend shifts but will follow up all the info next week. Also I've never been on a forum before so will take time to learn! Thanks again
17 May 2014, 22:21
Just to add, I don't calorie count, so no idea how much I eat in terms of calories on my non fast days. Think it's meant slower weight loss, but I'm not in a rush.
18 May 2014, 23:24
alexsid wrote: Is it okay to just have water and black coffee on my fast days?

On the original question, yes, definitely some kind of liquid otherwise there is a risk of dehydration.

I also eat on fast days. For me, and this is just my opinion, liquids only would be difficult to endure though many seem fine with it. Whatever works but definitely drink something in the 24 hour period.
20 May 2014, 23:44
If I stick to my TDEE of @ 1700 cals and have 2 fast days will I lose weight or just maintain the weight
20 May 2014, 23:49
Also what is 4:3 and 16:8?
21 May 2014, 02:28
In theory you lose weight doing that. You don't want to eat less than your TDEE on non-fast days, that can slow down weight loss.

4:3 is four days normal eating (or your TDEE) and 3 days fasting
16:8 is a daily eating window. Instead of 2 days a week fasting, every day you only eat during an 8 hour window. Think most people eat 2 meals during that time.
21 May 2014, 06:32
I have black coffee and water three days a week. The other four days I eat what I want but find generally I do not over eat as really do not want it. On fast days I have an evening meal of around 500 kcals.
23 May 2014, 23:58
Hi. Is anyone doing alternate day fasting?
24 May 2014, 00:10
Have a look for ADF in the Fastonbury tents section, there are loads of people doing it. I think the obnly thing vehemantly frowned upon on this forum is 'being unhelpful or non-supportive, and fasting for too long or too much. So continuous fasting for more than 36 hours is a no-no, but liquid fasting for one day is fine (i try and do it). Or fasting at very low , under 500 calories a day for more than 3 days is also frowned upon.

To find the various sections click on the forum page, then click on the Home button. Scroll down past the most recent topics and you will come to the various main sections, there you will find 'Non Diet Chat' with its sub heading of 'Fastonbury Glamping Grounds'. Inside the there you will find a 'tent' called 'The ADF Tent' where all the Alternate day fasters hang out. Heres a link to it.
fastonbury-glamping-grounds-f34/the-adf-tent-t11004.html
17 posts Page 1 of 2