The FastDay Forum

Weight Maintenance

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hunger no longer controls me!
24 May 2014, 19:25
I was reading on the web about the 8 habits of naturally thin people. One of the biggies is that naturally slim people aren't afraid of feeling hungry. It is no big deal because they know that they will eat later. 5:2 has done this for me. Hunger is now one of those things that I am aware of in an almost intellectual, disinterested way. I'm not caught up in it any more. I certainly never feel frantic. :wink:

Slim people eat mindfully rather than mechanically. They pause and think about how they feel. If they are satisfied rather than full (say 60-70% full), they stop. :shock: Mind-blowing, I know! This is one of the things I'm working on. For awhile, I'm really good at this. Then I relapse and let my desire to finish something or continue for the taste, not because I'm hungry cause me to eat more than I need or really want. :frown:

Another habit is that they are pretty predictable in their diet. On most days they routinely follow the same eating pattern for their meals. They eat the same meal for breakfast every day--cereal or whatever. They might eat a salad everyday for lunch, one day with turkey in it, another day with tuna, etc. Their dinner also follows a pattern. In this way, there are fewer decisions to make, fewer opportunities to go crazy, less time obsessing about food. :dazed: I think this is why we do so well on minimalist days (fast days) and have more trouble on feeding days. The longer I go between fasts (others have also said this), the more I seem to slip back into a more difficult, uncontrolled place. So, without obsessing or calorie counting, I need to find a nice framework for my non-minimalist days. :?: Work in progress.

I really want to be in that "naturally slim" place all the time. Maybe one of these days. :cool:
Thanks for posting this. It's a great reminder and has helped me today as I'm fasting (and hungry) :like:
I am in the same place. It is empowering once you lose the fear of hunger. I am now controlling my feast days too and eating far less. I have found I like feeling a bit empty once I have eaten. I do not like feeling stuffed anymore. This evening I turned down a Magnum ice cream because I did not feel hungry enough to eat it. I have had years of bingeing and am amazed I can be so relaxed about food now. I know I could slip back into bad habits but for now am pleased with my progress.
Yes thanks for posting this I think it will help me on 16:8 this week. I totally agree about the fast day, I always eat the same more or less, less choice than nonfastdays and easy to stick to.
I agree with everyone so far - one of the best posts in a long time @bordergirl. Thank you.
Losing the fear of hunger is so empowering isn't it? Even my OH who is a skinny fellow has found the benefit from doing a 24 hour fast...he no longer worries if he has to leave early for work with no time for breakfast or if a meeting over runs and he has to skip lunch.

I was at a wedding yesterday and the food was not scheduled to start until 3:30. Honestly the fuss people were making (and they'd had breakfast which I hadn't)! My nieces kept going on about how hungry they were...I said "you'll get no sympathy from me: I've not eaten since 7pm last night!" And in the end, guess what, no-one fainted from lack of food!
Yes, thanks for the post. I agree, its great to feel hunger. Trouble is, when I'm going through a bad patch (as I am now) I just eat for eating's sake. I know I'm not hungry, I just like eating whilst watching tv...and I watch a LOT of tv!

Bean :confused:
Well said bordergirl!
Was only thinking of this today..i was on the bus,it was 3 pm and i hadnt eaten since dinner last night..i smiled to myself as pre 5:2 i would have been feeling quite anxious in case i fainted! And would have felt very sure i couldnt go any longer without food!as it was, i felt i could continue for hours without eating.
Just shows how things can turn round and become very different!
But Beano@nursebean i agree with you completely,i love to eat while watching tv..and it has nothing to do with being hungry..more like it just adds to my viewing pleasure! :lol: :lol:
I really get the "grazing while viewing" thing! My idea of heaven is watching NCIS or PBS Mystery while munching on popcorn (Lots of popcorn!) I love it so much that I would happily trade it out for a meal and sometimes do that. (The other times, I just add it on top of a meal. :oops: ) I guess the difference, now, is that I at least seriously consider just swapping it out instead of going straight to scarfing it. :lol:

I never could do that thing that they tell you to do: If you're going out to dinner or to a party, eat something first so you're not hungry and won't overeat. HAH! I just ate before and then ate way too much at the party. It actually led me to eat more, I think. :razz:

And, when we are through our grazing patch, there will be another fasting day to straighten us out. :wink:
Absolutely a brilliant post - thank you @bordergirl for this wonderful information.

I agree @carorees - I don't understand all the fuss people - although I must admit to eating some breakfast these last couple of weeks, but I am back on track now doing the 16/8 successfully thank goodness.

cheers Maggie :smile:
10 posts Page 1 of 1