The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Calorie Amnesia?
05 Jun 2014, 06:29
I was out with the girls last night and we spoke of Magda Zsubanski's recent weight gain after her first stint with Jennie Craign

One reason she gave was "Calorie Amnesia..."

per

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... Craig.html
She said 'calorie amnesia' was when you 'forget how much you’ve actually eaten', and explained what living with it was like.

Say what?
Re: Calorie Amnesia?
05 Jun 2014, 11:09
I don't think i have cal amnesia.. I either cal count quite carefully or abandon the count in full awareness i' m doing so!
Havent heard of this woman or the show she's on...such a difference in how she looks,thinner and fatter..sad really tho how we all focus on someone's size isnt it..i do it too...really what matters of course are the health ramifications of putting on/ losing/ regaining,and i guess also the ethics/ morality of being paid to encourage vulnerable folk to part with their cash.
Still I guess she cdnt resist,like many well known faces,endorsing a product,and enjoyed the money she received from Jenny Craig!
05 Jun 2014, 11:36
CandiceMarie wrote: I don't think i have cal amnesia.. I either cal count quite carefully or abandon the count in full awareness i' m doing so!
Havent heard of this woman or the show she's on...such a difference in how she looks,thinner and fatter..sad really tho how we all focus on someone's size isnt it..i do it too...really what matters of course are the health ramifications of putting on/ losing/ regaining,and i guess also the ethics/ morality of being paid to encourage vulnerable folk to part with their cash.
Still I guess she cdnt resist,like many well known faces,endorsing a product,and enjoyed the money she received from Jenny Craig!

Magda has had much fame in Australia.. on tv Shows and films.. she such a funny lady and for a while a great front face for Jenny Craig
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magda_Szubanski
she was in Babe. such a funny film
05 Jun 2014, 16:48
I would say I did it for a long time, with milk of all things. I was still using full fat milk in my teas and expecting them to come in at 100kcals a day. Really though it was more like 300, maybe 400+kcals.
06 Jun 2014, 06:37
I feel very sorry for Magda. I've gone down and back up like her. Bad enough when you see a friend you haven't met for a while and you know they are looking at you. Imagine doing it when you are in the public eye!
06 Jun 2014, 06:39
Sorry to be harsh, but it sounds like kidding yourself on and not taking responsibility to me...
06 Jun 2014, 13:48
Ultimately, it probably is a form of not taking responsibility, janeg, and there are many of us who fall into that category. I never knew there was actually anyone else who called it food amnesia. When looking back on my life, I have 2 Master's degrees & a bachelor's in Dietetics, I hold a very responsible job, run events @ my kids schools, volunteer at church & own a part time business. Sounds like a terribly irresponsible person, doesn't it? Something had to give, & it was my control around food. Trying to maintain that breakneck pace to prove to people that I am smart, competent & successful, even though physically unfit/unhealthy took a lot of energy. I totally understand the portion distortion & food amnesia. When I was at my most stressed, I ate constantly with no recognition that I was not hungry, or had just eaten, or didn't need the calories, I ate out of a stress response & just didn't Give a flying f%@&.
This is why I have to track every bite, lick, taste & morsel in mfp, because if I try not to track, amounts creep up & choices become unhealthy for me. I don't obsess, don't get me wrong, & I don't judge, I just have to track, because time isn't important to me & I lose track of it easily, which means I don't keep track of what I eat either & could end up in a mindless haze of habituated eating. All the things about mindful eating are so true. If I'm not mindful, its easy to forget, so 5:2 works for me because I don't have to think about food or remember if I ate on a fast day, I just don't. Then, I am starting to 16:8 the other 3 weekdays & relax a bit on the weekends. But I still have to track, or I literally forget that I've already eaten. Being more in touch with real hunger & being mindful has helped a great deal. It's a tough journey for everyone & our lessons come in many forms. Maybe this is Magdas lesson & she'll be able to be more of a participant in her own process.
Finally, I often wonder if ADHD & ADD play into food amnesia, someday, ill explore that more.
07 Jun 2014, 07:31
Wondering if anyone here can do a shout out to Magda and tell her to just do intermittent fasting from now on(guess she wont get the proceeds from Jenny Craig then ) but if it wasnt the month, dont we all just consider IF in whatever form you fancy is the answer to Amnesia as long as you watched the clock (if doing eating windows) or the calendar (if doing fasting days)
8 posts Page 1 of 1