The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Feeling Nervous
20 Jun 2014, 07:00
Weekly weigh in has just shown another lb off yipee.
My concern is I'm about to embark on a 2 week holiday abroad and there is no way I can manage any fast days whilst on holiday .
I've worked to hard to get away in the first place so just want to relax and enjoy myself . Really worried that i'm going to undo all the good work that i've achieved :frown:
Has anyone any tips or suggestions how I can enjoy my well deserved and much needed holiday without coming back half a stone or worse heavier :?:
Re: Feeling Nervous
20 Jun 2014, 07:36
Hi
Well if I were you I'd just enjoy your holiday - try not to go mad with food but don't stress about it either. Holidays make people put weight on but then you just get back into it when you get home and it will come off - on my Progress Tracker the peaks on my line are Dresden, Athens and China holidays but you just write it off and start back on it when you get home. And that's the first time I've ever been able to do that without thinking 'oh it's ruined' and go back to bad old ways. Hope you have a fab holiday!
20 Jun 2014, 07:37
Hi @LUVLEEJU
Having done 3 separate one weeks away while on this WOL and gained more than half stone each time my advice would be if possible do an eating window 16:8
This wasn't possible for me and I paid the price.
Obviously eating mindfully as I did with most meals but the desserts were just to gorgeous, reducing your carb intake at all mealtimes will help because they make us retain water which is my biggest problem.
More importantly have fun enjoy your holiday coz that's what they're there for try to walk daily to compensate.
Then get back onto true 500cals as soon as you return if necessary doing an extra day to kickstart the weightloss.
Have a great time. :clover: :clover: :clover:
20 Jun 2014, 07:41
Fret not @luvleeju!

You've done really well and have the tools to keep this going for a lifetime. Like loversghost says you can relax and enjoy. It seems that a wee break can be helpful in kidding the body on hat there is no famine and actually help spur weight loss on.
Or you could consider an eating window approach, maybe missing breakfast and not eating until later.
Could you maybe fast on travel days? That's another option depending where you're off to.
where are you going?
ANyway, have a great holiday.
20 Jun 2014, 07:45
This is what happened to me,
Away for only four nights but had breakfast and a Very late three course dinner. Lost a pound.
It's easier to not eat when it's hot.
So skip a meal a day and see what happens, or low carb it, or just eat mindfully but above all we work hard all year for our holidays so enjoy it and sort out the excess baggage when you get home.
20 Jun 2014, 12:48
Lifeis for living so enjoy yr holiday to the full!
If you put on weight,so be it,you can deal with it when you come back.
Go for damage limitation on yr hol..cut back if and where you can,but dont deny yrself some treats ...get exercise in as much as you can- swimming,walking,dancing..if itshot and youre not hungry,skip a few meals
More than anything,have a good time! X :like:
20 Jun 2014, 13:39
Only have one glass of wine. Alcohol has a lot of empty cals. I put 3lb on over the bank hol weekend but the next week I did a bit of 16:8 and some half fasts and it went straight away.
Have a lovely hols enjoy yourself and relax.
20 Jun 2014, 13:48
Some excellent suggestions.

I would say - either decide (1) you're having a two week holiday from fasting and blow the consequences, you'll sort it out and when you get back

OR

(2) decide on some damage limitation, such as skipping a meal. If you are paying for half-board, the obvious one would be lunch. I know people who have never fasted who fill up on breakfast and save money by lasting till dinner and say they think it's too hot for lunch anyway. If breakfast is not included you could skip this instead and do 16:8. As Sue.Q says, go lightly on the carbs when possible.

But don't do 1 while thinking you should be doing 2. Guilt does not go on holiday.
20 Jun 2014, 14:08
I am going to Las Vegas this coming week and I plan to do 16:8 the whole time. I will skip breakfast each day and eat normally from noon to 8:00 pm. From previous experience doing 16:8 I expect to maintain. I'll let you know how it goes.
20 Jun 2014, 15:12
Have a lovely time! Sounds as if you have a sensible plan.

I'm going on holiday on Sunday for two weeks. A cruise with wall to wall food! Last time I put on eight pounds but it went quite quickly. I will not eat if I don't want to but I'm afraid that most of the time I will want to! Whatever I decide - I will not feel guilty!
20 Jun 2014, 15:22
Fasting allows you to have really nice holidays without having to face the consequences (in the long run). So enjoy, don't overdo things (both feasting and fasting) and get back to 'normal' life afterwards.
20 Jun 2014, 17:48
I didn't go on holiday but had to drop the fasting for 8 weeks as I was post operation. I put on 8lb, but lost most of it in the first 2 weeks back into fasting. Most of it will be water weight because of the carbs and the salt in restaurant foods. Eat mindfully, don't eat unless your hungry and most importantly don't feel guilty. Life is too short to allow a few extra calories to ruin a well earned break.
12 posts Page 1 of 1