The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Feeling disappointing today. Been pretty good this week. Had my two fast days done more walking and even wheezed my way around the part for 45 mins yesterday playing football with my kids. Weighed this morning and exactly the same as last friday.
I know its the way it goes with 5:2'ing but still disappointing.
Good morning Phil,

I think most of us know how that one feels, and yes, it is VERY demoralising but as you say, this is how it goes with 5:2. It's not a quick fix and when you least expect it, voila, you will drop a few pounds which will put a big grin on your face. Stick with it lad, you know it makes sense :victory:

Ballerina x :heart:
I'm in a similar position @philxjr I'm up just 300gr on last Thurs and although I've done 4:3 I was naughty over the weekend and Weds. :shock: :shock: Water weight probably ( especially for you with extra excercise)
Let's not despair otherwise we'll crash even further over the weekend yes let's do a cautious weekend. :like: :clover: :like:
The exercise is doing you good! Well done. 'Tis a bummer though, but it's so much better for you and it will shift to reveal that fine figure if a man. ;)
Keep at it.
You're a WINNER Phil, coz you 5:2'd and walked and played footie! ***high five*** and
*** knocking fists*** :like:
You could get on the scales tomozz and find you've lost weight..the scales are fickle and a cruel master..i know how disappointing it is :confused:
BUT i am coming round to give your horse a big smack on the rump and off you go galloping onwards ...nnnnnnneighhhhhhhh...
( If all horses say nay,where do little horses come from? :lol: )
Gee Up Neddy! X
image.jpg
Let' s get this show on the road!
Phil, just make sure you have a look at my tracker mate.
My slow loss is defiantly down to the fact that I'm an exerciserholic. But look at my pics, I'm heavier than I look but I'm firm and toned. Ooh it's not easy for me to gloat like that so grab while you can I don't do it very often.
And oooohhhh candy, very excitable to day my luv.
Right off to class I go.
Laters
@Philxjr please remember that the scales, for the most part are not our friends. They are evil little b@ggers that control our emotions. Yet we keep going back to them in the hope that they will like us and play the happy games we all want. We can be cheerful and smile at them, yet they can cast a black shadow over us in the blink of an eye. Pah! Who needs friends like that? I mean if your best mate started treating you like that you'd soon tell them the way it is, yet everyday/week/month we go back to them with that pleading look in our eye, please be my friend, please be nice to me...........

You walked you fasted you footballed... That sounds like a good week to me... Keep it up and just flick the bird to the scales and walk on by :)

P.s. when the scales are being nice and want to be your best friend then thank them and quickly walk away, because never forget they really do have an evil streak!
Thanks all, as usual you all speak a lot of sense. I love this forum for that reason. @minsmum you obviously have the same scales as me lol,
@carieoates hopefully I will start to tone up soon, I guess that is more important than weight loss!
@janeg fine figure of a man lol I'm 41 by the time I become a fine figure of a man ill be 81 lol.
@Sue.Q Im with you on not despairing
@ballerina im sure you are right lets see what next week brings.
@Candicemarie you are very naughty...causing me to burst into laughter whist pretending to work and looking like I'm mad lol. I expect to see you at the next grand national :grin:
I loved that you played footy with your kids Phil! How big were their smiles. Scales can be disheartening when you've done all the right things. Any change in measurements??. Please measure!!! Last month I lost only 0.7 KGS but I lost 6.5cms off here and there! ( weird places. Not off my waist but 1 cm off neck and 1&1/2 cm off mid thigh and other bits) so I bet things are shifting on you too. Chin up!
julianna wrote: I loved that you played footy with your kids Phil! How big were their smiles. Scales can be disheartening when you've done all the right things. Any change in measurements??. Please measure!!! Last month I lost only 0.7 KGS but I lost 6.5cms off here and there! ( weird places. Not off my waist but 1 cm off neck and 1&1/2 cm off mid thigh and other bits) so I bet things are shifting on you too. Chin up!

Thanks @[tag]julianna[/tag] yes they loved it. I only see them twice a week so was nice to do something different with them. Knees are feeling it today though lol
I will definately have a measure later on and see if there are any changed.
I will put my chin(s) up :smile:
Yeah, never mind the pesky scales not-a-girl Phil......how about the trousers???

I'm with Julianna on that one....plus, ask yourself:

Am I eating less junk than before?
Am I moving more than before?

Bet you the answer to both those questions will be "yes".......so you are making great healthy changes....even if the-things-that-lurk-in-the-corner-of-the-bathroom don't reflect it. They really are sooooo one-dimensional anyway.

Also, what about all the good you are doing yourself from the inside by fasting? Maybe it'll take the outside a little time to catch up...but you really are going great guns! Please remember that.

Having said all that ra-ra stuff, I do honestly sympathise with your frustration. But, like the rest of us, you are in it for the long haul Phil & every week that goes by will embed the 5:2 habit deeper into your psyche.......

If they have too much of a negative effect on you, why not banish the scales for a few weeks & just concentrate on keeping to your TDEE on non-fasting days....whilst continuing to up the exercise whenever you can. The kids will love you for it...as there's nothing kids like more than Dad (or Mum) joining in........

Finally, just a thought.....are you much into the World Cup & beer? If you are, these past few weeks won't have been too helpful maybe....

Best of luck - you can do it!

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
P.S. Just had a quick squizz at your tracker @philxjr - there's some very positive stuff on there.....av weekly weight loss, drop in BMI, total lost to name but 3!

Do you look at it much/ever? If you don't, you should.....whenever you are a bit fed up! That tells the real story....and reminds you how far you have come in a short time....

Go on, have a look!

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
Exercise causes your muscles to store more glycogen which because it contains a lot of water will cause scale weight gain.

Looking at your tracker, though, you have lost about 6% of your starting weight. If you were a subject in a weight loss clinical study, that would be enough for you to be declared a success. The drugs they sell for weight loss only have to produce a 5% loss over a year. So give yourself a pat on the back. You are losing, and you are doing it eating foods you enjoy most of the time.

However, since you have a very ambitious goal, you may want to spend some time looking at what you are eating during the non-fast days, and asking yourself if perhaps you are eating things on non-fast days, out of habit that are calorie dense but don't really provide all that much satisfaction in return for those extra calories.
To add to peebles wisdom, I've kept a food log from day one. It takes only minutes but provides considerable feedback when those unexplicable up (or down) days occur. From these instances you can then adjust and experiment to understand exactly what your body does with what you consume. Inevitably, for me, a carb increase is noticeable for the next day or two. Since it's all water it goes away easily enough, but can be frustrating until you recognize that connection.
That effort will pay off in a few weeks I'm sure, so keep up the good work. My theory is that if I've had a disappointing weigh in, it's not what I did or ate the day before or even the week before, it's a picture of what I've been up to for the last few weeks. Like a super-tanker you turn the wheel at the helm, but it's miles before you can see the ship change course. I had a gain this week which I attribute to having a lighter exercise period a few weeks back, and nearly a month of strawberries and cream. That's over, so expect things will right themselves in 2 or 3 weeks. Chin up!
15 posts Page 1 of 1