The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Scales , I hate them
07 Aug 2014, 01:10
So this morning after two really good fasts I weighed myself and found I had gained more weight bringing me to my highest weight since starting this 5-2
I then took sour my old manuals cakes,just to check and found I am at my lowest ie FOUR kilos less than the fancy new digital scale
The old one used to weigh me about 2less than the new one
Bottom line ,one says I have gained two kilos and the other says I have lost two
How do I look amd feel.well,I thought rather good
I measured my waist down a few centimetres
So I think the message I am getting loud and clear: stop weighing ,scales lie
I need to give up this obsession to be a certain weight
Re: Scales , I hate them
07 Aug 2014, 04:09
Hi @Sarahg

I think "sour old manual cakes" is probably a great way to describe and disparage those awful scales - tho I think it is the new ones that really deserve the condemnation!

Why is it that we put so much emphasis on what the scales say, rather than how we look and feel? I am just as bad - scales are up today, and even tho it is water, not fat - if I believe the %body fat and %water measures - I still feel disappointed.

I am certain you have not put on fat after 2 good fasts - any extra weight will just be water or body waste... I do think digital scales are more accurate than the analogue ones tho - I know I am 3kg heavier on our digital scales.

Hope you sort out a measuring strategy that you are happy with. :)

PS love the cartoon @ADFnFuel
07 Aug 2014, 05:19
Thanks for the cartoon
Very funny :)
07 Aug 2014, 05:45
Well that's that then, keep the sour old manual cakes and dump the sweet new ones :grin: :razz:
07 Aug 2014, 06:54
the tape measure is your friend ;)
07 Aug 2014, 06:58
My manual cakes put me at one pound heavier than the digital, though it depends how I set the pointer on zero, lean forward or back and squint down to read it :lol:
07 Aug 2014, 07:41
Mine are the opposite. Old ones weigh lighter.

But..... When I first got them my new ones they added 5lb to my weight and I went into meltdown, I came here, and everyone reassured me that it's not always the weight but how you feel and whether those tape measure numbers are reducing too.
Maybe an aspirational pair of shorts or trousers could help, just keep trying them on and see them getting looser and looser.
That's why daily weighing is helpful as you see those minor fluctuations and they don't smack you in the face, it's just a wiggly line rather than a big spike.
There's a whole thread here about daily weighing.

Anyhow have a read of this if you haven't already, I visit these little nuggets of gold often and I've been here over a year now.

https://www.fastday.com/fasting/why-the ... the-truth/
07 Aug 2014, 07:46
This is why I NEVER weigh myself on anything other than one of the two sets of scales we own and I do so every morning except whilst on holiday. I need a daily weigh to keep me on the straight and narrow, as well as measuring my waist every morning, I just don't trust myself without these daily sticks with which to beat myself. :shock: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
07 Aug 2014, 08:02
Step away from the scales........they are evil
07 Aug 2014, 08:27
@carieoates[quote="carieoates"]

That's why daily weighing is helpful as you see those minor fluctuations and they don't smack you in the face, it's just a wiggly line rather than a big spike.

I definitely agree - when I used to do the weekly weigh thing there was so much riding on that ONE DAY and oh, the disappointment if the scales weren't kind. Now I do the daily weight thing and it does 2 things - a. keeps me on the straight and narrow and b. has made far more chilled about fluctuations - as long as the general trend is down I'm happy. And weird stuff does go on with body weight - a few weeks ago I (a menopausal woman) suddenly got really puffy ankles and sausagey fingers and BALLOONED. Something like 4kg (and I went out for a carby afternoon tea with a friend but even so....). Incredibly disheartening - but then it went so I firmly blame the hormonal mess of the menopause but I really believe that we/you/I just have to stick with it, whatever the scales say - if you feel good and you're feeling thinner, clothes are looser etc - then you're probably losing. Wahey!
07 Aug 2014, 08:32
@barbarita personally I like to step gingerly onto the scales with one finger on the wall, bum sticking slightly out, I carefully take finger off wall and hold fingers crossed in the air. It doesn't always work :-)
07 Aug 2014, 08:39
Water weight deffo @Sarahg :like:
But the good old fashioned tape measure is our true best friend, we are so fragile with those scales because one "bad" reading after a couple of good days can send us off in the opposite direction and sometimes a binge session.:clover: :clover:

Love that cartoon @ADFnFuel. :lol: :lol:
07 Aug 2014, 09:11
Much better to go by how you feel,how loose yr clothes feel ( if tight,blame the tumble dryer!) and yes the good ole tape measure! :like:
07 Aug 2014, 11:30
GMH wrote: ] personally I like to step gingerly onto the scales with one finger on the wall, bum sticking slightly out, I carefully take finger off wall and hold fingers crossed in the air. It doesn't always work :-)

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes to try and sneak up on the scales tyrant before standing on its face, no wonder it sometimes dislikes me, :shock: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
21 posts Page 1 of 2