The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
These rules are true for some people, but obviously not all. The breakfast issue is a good example. I recently reviewed the research on this after seeing the study purporting to show that eating breakfast doesn't help with weight loss. And what you find is different studies finding different "truths."

For people with prediabetes or diabetes, who often wake up with very high blood sugars, eating breakfast can lower blood sugar dramatically , which is good.

The question is WHAT do people eat for breakfast. If it's Chocolate Coated Sugar Pops with milk, or a stack of pancakes with syrup, eating breakfast sets you up for a day of blood sugar swings that ensure you will over eat.

If it's a high protein egg with meat breakfast, it may dampen hunger and be very helpful.

As always, these nutritionists and self-appointed experts draw conclusions from looking only at one number that sums up the experience of hundreds or thousands of people, without paying any attention to individual differences.

As far as skipping meals goes. For most of us here, who are disciplined and fairly intelligent, it can work. For a huge number of would-be dieters, skipping meals leads to the pattern of eating no breakfast, no or little lunch, and then eating well over the TDEE from dinner through many hours of night time snacking.

This is such a well known pattern, that it would be foolish to ignore that it does cause people problems.

Again, it comes down to individual differences. No one way of eating is right for every person.
True. You give a very nuanced and reasoned response, Peebles.

It just gets me when they say "These are the rules and you MUST follow them," when, as you so rightly point out, no rules are going to work for every person.

Personally, I'm glad I learned about IF, because it has helped me realize that 1) I can skip breakfast, 2) A little hunger is not a bad thing, and 3) If I am out and about and skip a meal, it won't kill me.
peebles wrote: ...

For people with prediabetes or diabetes, who often wake up with very high blood sugars, eating breakfast can lower blood sugar dramatically , which is good.

? ? ?
What's the biology behind "wake up with very high blood sugars"?

TIA
"Personally, I'm glad I learned about IF, because it has helped me realize that 1) I can skip breakfast, 2) A little hunger is not a bad thing, and 3) If I am out and about and skip a meal, it won't kill me."

I really do agree with your statement, Melinda. Fasting has taught me some lessons too:
1. Hunger comes in waves and therefore fasting can be tolerated easier. We won't die!
2. Fasting, for some unknown reason to me, helps me have more control over Feed days.
3. Eating breakfast makes me want to eat all day!

I see you are maintaining now. That is great. I hope to be in your shoes next year!
@ADFnFuel,

It's called "Dawn phenomenon" and you can Google it for lots of different explanations as to why it happens.
As a general rule I don't disagree with listening to hunger, eating when hungry and stopping when you're full. Obviously on Fast days, it's different, but on other days, that is one of the big weight loss lessons I have learned over the past years. IF has helped me learn what hunger feels like and now I am much better at leaving food on my plate. Chronic dieters are hungry all the time and that sets them up for binging.
Good observations ladies. These pieces of pop journalism are really not worth taking seriously. Me, I LOVE breakfast and it keeps me full till lunch and stops me picking all day, but others say the opposite, so it's whatever works for you.
8 posts Page 1 of 1