The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi All!

I'm Errin, 33 year old in New York City. I just finished my second day fasting yesterday, and I am so happy! I actually didn't weigh myself before starting, which is silly, but I had eaten very heavily the weekend before starting and I sometimes get scale-shame and avoid it. I did weigh myself after the first fast day, and so far I'm down .8lbs, which is great!

I'm looking forward to my body getting used to the fasting, because most people/researchers say it only takes about a week or two to acclimate to it. However, even though I was hungry, it wasn't unbearable! And I found that I got full on my non fast day right around my TDEE (about 2100 cal/day). I loooove knowing that today I can eat falafel, Ethiopian food, whatever I like! I pre-planned today with delicious foods I enjoy (and that are pretty healthy - very legume and veg based) in the quantities I enjoy!

I had been on Weight Watchers for YEARS - Summer 2008-January 2014, and maintained a loss of about 30lbs. Nice, but that still left me at 220lbs (15st 10). At 5'8" and large-framed, I carry it well but still look like a "big girl." Not worth the hundreds of dollars I spent there! After I quit WW, I tried hypnosis (also very $$!), vegetarian Atkins, and trying to holistically pay attention to my body's hunger cues...and gained 10 more lbs!

I hate hate hate daily restriction (whether of calories or food groups), and couldn't muster myself to do it again for my upcoming wedding (June 2015). So happy I found this, because I really think it's sustainable - I like not having to worry on fast days, and I LOVE getting to really eat and enjoy myself without guilt on my non-fast days! Looking forward to getting to know people here on the forum!
well done @slimforevernyc - you've made a great start!

Will you be joining us on the Christmas Challenge?

:like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:
Welcome! I wish you the best of luck. Fasting will put $ in your pocket to spend on other fun things.
Hi Errin. Great post .......... the wonderful thing about 5:2 or a variation of, is that YOU/WE are in control and responsible for the outcome, might involve some tweaking and big lessons learnt on the journey. It's all about 'capacity building' us to sustain - and this forum provides us that. Look forward to hearing about your journey. Go you!
Fantastic. Well done. I had my second fast day yesterday too! And I am also feeling fabulous. I recently started counting calories and it was a great exercise in teaching me about how much I can eat, and what has calories...all the good stuff . But the drag of counting calories every day was , for me, a little daunting. I was a little nervousness about starting 5:2, thinking it would be really hard to do. But I found it easier than I thought. Even cooked for my boys at night and it didn't worry me. I had read about one woman planning food for the next day on a fast day, and had been amazed. But. I get it now, that is kind of fun, knowing that it's only one day and then eating 'normally tomorrow' and I can still have a few beers on a Friday night!
I feel really good about it too. It seems achieve able. I'm 80 kil and 5'7. Been this way for about 6 years since stopping smoking. I'm so sick of it. Just want to loose weight and feel better. I live in deans marsh. Little country town in victoria australia. Looking out over rolling hills this morning. Sun just coming up, the birds are chirping and I'm feeling good. And you all the way over ther in New York feeling good about your second fast day too. I'm fasting Tuesdays and Thursdays. Good luck New York"
Hello, welcome and well done for complementing two fast days.
Isn't that empty tum on the morning after lovely.
Weigh ASAP, and measure everywhere because sometimes the scales don't show everything that's happening, even measure your knees seriously, wish I'd done mine.
Yes join the xmas challenge and then we can all help you through to xmas eve.

:heart: :clover:
Hi Errin :smile:

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you're enjoying the fasting. It's such a sense of freedom isn't it when you just don't have to think about food? I'm new to it and have been doing it for 4 weeks now but it's reset my appetite and what I do eat tastes SO much better. I rarely feel hungry and it's actually amazing me how little I now get by on.

Keep posting and letting us know how you're getting on :like:

:chicken2:
Welcome both Errin @slimforevernyc and @Karen cherry :)
You both sound so positive and have managed your first fasts very well - that's a great start! :)
There is a lot of information, ideas and support in this forum, so do have a good read around.
You will find a lot of variation in what works for different people using Intermittent Fasting, but I think it is a good idea at the start to stick to the basic and simple 5:2 plan - ie 2 fast days of no more than 500 cals, and the rest of the week eat what foods you want without exceeding your TDEE.
I would suggest giving this a go for at least 6 weeks before deciding on any tweaks.
Over time you may find that you naturally start to eat less of the high sugar and processed foods, but an important thing is not to feel (too!) deprived.
Anyhow, do use the forum to let us know how you are going and if you need any help.
Best wishes. :D
Hello @Karen cherry Welcome! Sassy has provided great advice. Do visit the forum daily and chat, I could not have got to goal (1lb off GOAL) without visiting our forum daily and being inspired by all the fabulous people day by day. Lizx
@Madcatlady and @carieoats Thanks for the invite to the Christmas Challenge! I just posted on the thread, and am really looking forward to being in a group with other people doing this. Although there have been a few features in the news and TV about modified fasting in the USA, I don't think most people have really heard of it, so I'm especially happy to talk with people who know the deal!

@Karen cherry Nice to have a starting partner! High five :)

@cheekychicken & @Lizbean Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'm happy to be here!
Hi Errin and welcome,
As you are probably realising this forum is a really inspiring place. It does you so much good to know that there are people all over the world who share your trials and tribulations and are so happy to support and advise.
Great that you've signed up for the Christmas challenge. I like that it kind of cuts the journey up into bitesize chunks. I have a lot to lose - around 100lbs and don't want to think too much about how long it's going to take - a 12 week challenge I can handle!
slimforevernyc wrote: @Madcatlady and @carieoats Thanks for the invite to the Christmas Challenge! I just posted on the thread, and am really looking forward to being in a group with other people doing this. Although there have been a few features in the news and TV about modified fasting in the USA, I don't think most people have really heard of it, so I'm especially happy to talk with people who know the deal!

@Karen cherry Nice to have a starting partner! High five :)

@cheekychicken & @Lizbean Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'm happy to be here!

Hello @slimforevernyc sorry wasn't ignoring you. I didn't see this as it didn't tag.

To tag someone you press tag, the blue button above, insert the persons name (or copy and past) it in between the brackets and then we get a message that we have a tag to check out.
Great I'm glad youve joined. Hope all goes well.
12 posts Page 1 of 1