The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

491 posts Page 9 of 33
Previous 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 33 Next
A 3 mile lunchtime walk for me today and it was a beautiful sunny day.
I am afraid there's nothing that can be done today as it's snowing pretty hard (so won't go out, even for my dog :razz: ) and I can't do anything but walks for another week.... Just hope the snow will stop soon...
It was the worst day of the winter as regards icy roads so alas no session with my jogging partner this week. I set off on the Village Round at around 10 and it was so treacherous I had to go slowly and think about every step that it took me nearly an hour to do a pathetic 1.25 miles. I decided I was not doing that again, even in the afternoon when the sun was strong and it was thawing up a bit, I paced up and down the street like a mad lady for a while, then we went into town and I got the remaining steps doing some shopping. I would hesitate to call any of this Exercise, mote like a lot of NEAT.
Nil today, but yesterday OH and I walked about half a mile to our Strength class then rushed pell-mell another half-mile to make it on time for the 2 o'clock matinee at a very :cool: community theater. Then home again, then out to a restaurant for my diet-busting favorite-- baked brie platter.

Interestingly, a reporter/photographer for our local paper stayed throughout the class, interviewing some participants and taking a lot of pictures. He's doing a story on what local elders are doing to prevent falls. He must have chosen our class for at least part of his story because our instructor is certified to teach falls-prevention classes. I'll post a link to the story when it happens (caveat--if there's a photo of me in it and it's horribly unflattering, I may think twice.)

Vanity rears its ugly head :oops:
Yesterday I attended my very first yoga class! It was aimed at real beginners who are stiff as a board, so suited me down to the ground! There were only four of us in the class so we had lots of individual attention. She started us off very gently so that she could gauge our level of ability - I hope it doesn't get too strenuous too soon! Anyway, the hour and a half went very quickly so I have signed up to go to the next class in a fortnight. It would be helpful if I could remember what we did so that I could practice but there's always Google, I suppose!
Today's challenge - leaving at 9 to attend a day course, and not,being home until nearly 6. Solution - do an augmented Village Round in the early morning light, a brisk walk in the second half of the lunch hour, prowl around the classroom when class not in session, and walk up and down the Village street at nightfall. January now ticked off.
Tired and uninspired. 2 circuits of the Village Round and a short walk to Matterdale Church. It felt blood-suckingly cold.
5.6 mile road walk through Eamont Bridge, Brougham and Carleton village from Penrith. Cold but not icy so I could stride out with confidence.y
I don't know what's wrong with me these days. All I can muster lately is walking around my office on short breaks or, on days when the snow's so bad I'm working from home (like today) short breaks to walk around the halls of my apartment building.

A few times lately I've gone mall-walking, but I just can't get back to the 60-90 minutes I was doing a month ago.

Motivation - where did you go?
Hi @Lizardline Maybe next time you're working from home you could put on a DVD similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone-Wa ... one+5+mile
Just before lunch today I used it to do 2 miles in 26 minutes while listening to an audiobook. Goes by fast--It was so cool in the house today that I didn't feel warm until well into the second mile. :smile:
Marybeth wrote: Hi @Lizardline Maybe next time you're working from home you could put on a DVD similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone-Wa ... one+5+mile
Just before lunch today I used it to do 2 miles in 26 minutes while listening to an audiobook. Goes by fast--It was so cool in the house today that I didn't feel warm until well into the second mile. :smile:

@Marybeth Yes! I used to occasionally do those Leslie Sansone videos, but I just get so bored walking in my house staring at the TV. I usually just watch Netflix while I walk, but I can't even stand to do that anymore. I want to go out, but it's freezing and we're on the verge of 2.5 feet of snow!
Didn't think I would be posting here today as my exercise class was fully booked which to be honest was a bit of a relief as I really didn't have the inclination to go, although my head was telling me the more exercise I get, the sooner the weight will be gone! Anyway - I checked the booking system again at 5.30 and spaces had materialised so I went so I have done a session of Body Pump and classes booked for tomorrow and Weds too!
OMG @Lizardline! Hope your forecast is off--that's too much snow. You are right about boredom being the scourge of exercise at home. :curse: I know some people just love to sweat, with or without entertainment; but I'm not one of them, either.
@Marybeth I should have been more specific - 24 inches of it were from last week, the rest of it is falling today!

I will attempt to get myself off the couch after my dinner tonight...
One hour of Pilates this morning but no walk as I seem to have acquired a UTI, which is making me feel a bit rough. :frown: I walked three miles yesterday so maybe a walk tomorrow if I'm feeling more myself! :smile:
Previous 1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 33 Next
491 posts Page 9 of 33