The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

491 posts Page 24 of 33
Previous 1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33 Next
And continuing on my roll, I did weights today.
Bravo @MaryAnn you are doing really well.
I've got MadMax assembled after a long time but, at the moment, he is a paint prop.
That won't last forever though.
And I dug today, something I love and haven't done for years, being garden-less.
So, still not doing anything specific, but just much more active.
Oh and the bike has turned up too. Beloved has bought one, so we will be bikeling.
Where we stay has the accolade of having the most cycle/walking leisure routes in Scotland, and possible the UK.
we will make the most of them.
:)
I'll be off to a Zumba Gold class at 5:30 this afternoon--OH joins me, but today he going to a seminar or something special at the local university.

So I'll get all sweaty by myself :smile:
I may need to nip down to the gym early today. There is a typhoon coming (it's already quite gusty) and they always close the gym during typhoons because the door leaks :-(
No exercise so far today, but I did join the gym yesterday :victory:

I know joining is very different to actually going, but I've got my induction booked in for this afternoon, so hopefully it will be the start of good progress, and not just good intentions.

I had been going to zumba most Wednesdays with a friend, but her work meant that she often had to cancel, and I didn't like going on my own (you'd never know when you were going to have to work in pairs!), but with the gym we can go whenever is convenient, so I'm hoping we'll be more consistent!
Hello, I'm a teacher on summer vacation, which means my eating/fasting are not so good, but I can exercise more! I'm trying to exercise every day. Yesterday I swam laps for 40 minutes. Today I plan to walk/jog 3-4 miles.
MaryAnn wrote: And continuing on my roll, I did weights today.

I wish I'd thought of that - to roll them rather than lift 'em!

:like:
I crashed and burned doing HIT on a fast day yesterday. What a mess. I got 10 minutes in, just. I felt awful afterward.

Anyway, weights today. I'll try HIT on a non-fast day next time!
I did HIIT today for 45 minutes. I'm doing a 2-week program at one of the gyms I frequent which basically consists of me working out there 3-5 times a week and following an eating plan that my trainer came up with. No processed foods whatsoever. What's funny is that he is making me eat 5 meals a day (3 regular and 2 smaller ones) and said that not eating every 3-4 hours will slow your metabolism. I didn't want to volunteer that I had been losing 1 pound a week by doing 5:2 and eating only 2 meals a day. lol. But I'm a bit confused now as he IS a very popular trainer and he has gotten lots of people to lose lots of weight. It will be interesting to see what 2 weeks of his nutrition plan does vs. fasting.
SammyIAm wrote: ...What's funny is that he is making me eat 5 meals a day (3 regular and 2 smaller ones) and said that not eating every 3-4 hours will slow your metabolism. ...

A lot of people in the training world still believe this, but it's nonsense (as I'm sure you know). I think there might be some evidence about timing protein intake around workouts to maximize benefit, but I've never bothered much with it (not particularly wanting to bulk up or anything)
Much of nutrition science has been challenged in the last few years. Unfortunately the recommendations of old continue to reign for a lot longer than they should. I've been reading "The Lore or Running" by Tim Noakes - an encyclopedia in length and coverage. In it he relates the necessity for carbohydrate loading...surprisingly, something he has since refuted (in one of the links carorees recently posted about LC site in Australia).

Today: One mile walk, 2 miles elliptical, 15 miles stationary bike. (Right Achilles still not happy.)
MaryAnn wrote:
SammyIAm wrote: ...What's funny is that he is making me eat 5 meals a day (3 regular and 2 smaller ones) and said that not eating every 3-4 hours will slow your metabolism. ...

A lot of people in the training world still believe this, but it's nonsense (as I'm sure you know). I think there might be some evidence about timing protein intake around workouts to maximize benefit, but I've never bothered much with it (not particularly wanting to bulk up or anything)

Yes, I was giggling on the inside when he said that to me. But he is making me load up on protein every day. The point of this program is to build muscle, which, in turn, will burn fat and more calories. What's strange is that I am eating all of this protein, yet I am hungrier than ever. I was not this hungry when I only ate 2 meals a day. But then again, I have been doing HIIT daily this week. And I am managing to stay within my recommended calorie intake (1500 cals). I'll let you guys know how much weight (if any) I lose with this program. It feels really strange not to fast, but it's kind of nice to take a break.
I did 30 minutes on the treadmill last night. My back is sore today. I hope it's not related. I've had enough with sports injuries!
MaryAnn wrote: I crashed and burned doing HIT on a fast day yesterday. What a mess. I got 10 minutes in, just. I felt awful afterward.

I managed 13 minutes on a fast day. phew. I'll keep adding a couple of minutes til I'm back at 20…

And I remembered that I gave blood on the day I crashed and burned. That was a really stupid thing to do.
Going back to dance lessons, modern jazz type, with some friends later. Will be for 3 hours, just before the heatwave and, if it goes well, it will become a daily thing. As I didn't practise for 23 years, wish me luck !
Previous 1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33 Next
491 posts Page 24 of 33