The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Not a very good fast day...
13 Jan 2015, 00:43
Wet, cold, and dreary today. Stayed home all day but just couldn't stay motivated. I went over by about 350-400 calories. I usually stick with 500.
I just did not have the stuff today. That's still less than half of what I eat on non fast days, but I don't want to slip into bad habit of excusing going over. I ate at lunch and after that I was munchy. I must really try to wait til late afternoon or evening but it's so hard to do sometimes.

Kicks in the pants are welcome.
Good night all!
Re: Not a very good fast day...
13 Jan 2015, 01:18
Don't be so hard on yourself Sandra, its a big learning curve at the beginning isn't it? Maybe try a salty drink at lunchtime and that may help you hold of eating a bit longer. Some members try a bouillon cube in hot water or miso soup. I make my own chicken bone broth and freeze it in 1 cup portions. Last week I froze 18 small containers. It has a lot of health benefits and taste like roast chicken in a cup! It gets easier so hang in there. Some successful members start with more calories like 7-800 then over time reduce it to 500 calories. Maybe something to consider.
Good luck Sandra!
Xxx julianna
13 Jan 2015, 01:20
That's still a really low calorie day! Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move on. Do better on the next one! If not, be prepared for a kick in the pants ;-)
13 Jan 2015, 01:55
You still reduced your calories by a lot.

I use this stuff when I'm having trouble with hunger: http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Bouil ... B00016LAFM It's usually about $5 a jar at my local grocery store. 1 teaspoon in a cup of hot water and I'm a happy camper. It's only 10 calories too, and a jar makes 36 cups.

I can't eat at lunchtime, because I get way too hungry and I way overeat. I have to either suck it up until dinner time or just go over.

Reducing your calories not-as-drastically three days a week still yields a big calorie deficit
13 Jan 2015, 02:02
I can relate to this problem especially when I first began 5:2. I was at home at the time and was obsessed with the thoughts of food even though I was not physically hungry. I obsessed about it. I then preplanned my fastday meal and prepared something before the fastday so that it was available for evening meal. This helped me greatly because I did not have to think about what to cook that night. Walks and long drinks of water helped too. There were also days that I split a can of tuna and green salad for a lunch and dinner falling well below 500 cals yet very satisfying. Sometimes my stomach would hurt and I found mint tea or ginger tea very comforting. Also there were times when the least little snack set me off on a feeding frenzy. So what I am saying is be flexible and learn to listen to your body. I hope some of these ideas help you and at the end of the day don't worry because you just try again when your ready. Best of luck with this slow but sustainable way of eating.
13 Jan 2015, 02:09
Cut yourself some slack @SandraD. I agree that you don't want to be making excuses for going over the 500, but it takes a while to learn the ropes and part of learning is making mistakes. In the first year, I usually had a miso soup sachet in hot water about 2pm which got me through to dinner time. Recently tuna or cottage cheese, high protein but low calories, has been an emergency afternoon stand by. Mostly I don't eat it, but because I know I can, it helps me be strong.
13 Jan 2015, 02:32
Thanks Sallyo. I need to plan better. I appreciate the encouragement!!
13 Jan 2015, 05:42
Tracieknits wrote: You still reduced your calories by a lot.

I use this stuff when I'm having trouble with hunger: http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Bouil ... B00016LAFM It's usually about $5 a jar at my local grocery store. 1 teaspoon in a cup of hot water and I'm a happy camper. It's only 10 calories too, and a jar makes 36 cups.

I can't eat at lunchtime, because I get way too hungry and I way overeat. I have to either suck it up until dinner time or just go over.
Reducing your calories not-as-drastically three days a week still yields a big calorie deficit

@TracieknitsI was reading the reviews of this product and this review was in there

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Bouil ... Descending
4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, but misleading nutrition information, March 5, 2006
By
Betty Crocker "Victoria" (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base 8 oz (Misc.)
I enjoy this product immensely. Good clean flavor, not at all chemical or artificial tasting, and feel-good organic, to boot. BUT, But I must say that I am quite puzzled by the nutrition information on the jar label. According to my label a 1 teaspoon serving has 11 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g carb, and 42 gr protein. This is impossible. 1g fat=9 calories, 1 g carb=4 calories, 1 g protein = 4 calories. So, this product, if it does indeed have the quantities of nutrients that the label says it has, should have 36 fat calories, 4 carb calories and 168 protein calories, with a total of 208 calories per teaspoon. As you see, the label must be incorrect, either with the calorie count or the nutrients count.
I took a look at the organic vegetable base and it has a similar disparity in its nutrient/calorie count.
So which is it? 11 or 208 calories? It makes a big difference to me, as I am watching my fat and overall calorie intake.
To make matters more confusing the Amazon add says "naturally fat free. Now I'm even more flummuxed.

Are calories cumulative like that? 11 versus 208 is a lot of diff.
13 Jan 2015, 07:28
Juliana.Rivers wrote:
Tracieknits wrote: You still reduced your calories by a lot.

@TracieknitsI was reading the reviews of this product and this review was in there

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Bouil ... Descending
4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, but misleading nutrition information, March 5, 2006
By
Betty Crocker "Victoria" (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base 8 oz (Misc.)
I enjoy this product immensely. Good clean flavor, not at all chemical or artificial tasting, and feel-good organic, to boot. BUT, But I must say that I am quite puzzled by the nutrition information on the jar label. According to my label a 1 teaspoon serving has 11 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g carb, and 42 gr protein. This is impossible. 1g fat=9 calories, 1 g carb=4 calories, 1 g protein = 4 calories. So, this product, if it does indeed have the quantities of nutrients that the label says it has, should have 36 fat calories, 4 carb calories and 168 protein calories, with a total of 208 calories per teaspoon. As you see, the label must be incorrect, either with the calorie count or the nutrients count.
I took a look at the organic vegetable base and it has a similar disparity in its nutrient/calorie count.
So which is it? 11 or 208 calories? It makes a big difference to me, as I am watching my fat and overall calorie intake.
To make matters more confusing the Amazon add says "naturally fat free. Now I'm even more flummuxed.

Are calories cumulative like that? 11 versus 208 is a lot of diff.

Clearly the nutritional quantities are wrong as 42gr of protein would fill 3 tablespoons and a teaspoon only holds about 5g!
13 Jan 2015, 07:35
Juliana.Rivers wrote: Are calories cumulative like that? 11 versus 208 is a lot of diff.

That reviewer (back in 2006) must have had a mis-printed label or the decimal points weren't showing up well (they often don't for me, depending on the colour of the printing). BTB's own nutrition info indicates that (effectively) there were decimal points:
http://www.betterthanbouillon.com/produ ... oductid=10

The recipe's changed a tad but 1 tsp (6g) is approx 17 kcals as a straight paper calculation (they don't declare if those carbs are fibre so I can't deduct anything). ETA: just consulted http://caloriecount.about.com/calories- ... se-i183533 and entered 100g and it says 167calories for the 100g so it looks like those carb grammes may contain some fibre which lowers the effective calorie count to nearer 11 calories for 1 tsp/6g.
10 posts Page 1 of 1