The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

25 posts Page 2 of 2
Juliana.Rivers wrote: I have a feeling training our food intake is a darn side easier than getting up off the couch or in my case off the computer chair.

I'm quite the opposite. I find it much easier to work out everyday (or a couple times a day) to give me some extra calories to play with than to eat only 1100-1200 calories for a TDDE in order to lose weight :)
I don't think its in my genetics to ever be slim unless I'm prepared to stop eating altogether, but I like looking toned.

And being more toned means you can carry more weight, for sure, Now at 37 years old, 5"2 and hovering just below 145 lb, I weigh about the same as I did in high school, but now I wear a size US 4-6 (NZ 8-10) instead of 8-10 US (NZ 12-14). I'm still working towards my goal weight, but I'm pretty happy with the way I look.
nznicole wrote:

I'm quite the opposite. I find it much easier to work out everyday (or a couple times a day) to give me some extra calories to play with than to eat only 1100-1200 calories for a TDDE in order to lose weight :)
I don't think its in my genetics to ever be slim unless I'm prepared to stop eating altogether, but I like looking toned.

And being more toned means you can carry more weight, for sure, Now at 37 years old, 5"2 and hovering just below 145 lb, I weigh about the same as I did in high school, but now I wear a size US 4-6 (NZ 8-10) instead of 8-10 US (NZ 12-14). I'm still working towards my goal weight, but I'm pretty happy with the way I look.

I wonder if one is able to exercise regularly, like you and a couple of times a day is fantastic!.. that one has a much stronger appetite because of the training and thus losing weight is also harder. Is that right?

Does exercise and regular activity stimulate your appetite?
Juliana.Rivers wrote: Was my challenge a year ago and looking for some miracle like 5:2 in the exercise/fitness department.

Stop waiting for a miracle. Find a kind of exercise you like and do it. No excuses!
MaryAnn wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote: Was my challenge a year ago and looking for some miracle like 5:2 in the exercise/fitness department.

Stop waiting for a miracle. Find a kind of exercise you like and do it. No excuses!

im sad now. i was just hoping that i can do it with little or no effort :-)
Juliana.Rivers wrote: I wonder if one is able to exercise regularly, like you and a couple of times a day is fantastic!.. that one has a much stronger appetite because of the training and thus losing weight is also harder. Is that right?

Depends on the exercise. A hard hill walk, with uphill stretches that get the heart pounding and chest heaving, jogging at a pace that gets me breathing hard, and a very long walk (4 hours or longer) puts the damper on my appetite. More moderate exercise, such as an hour or two of brisk walking, seems to have no effect.

I take no notice of calories, but out of curiosity I went on http://www.health-calc.com which has a very neat TDEE calculator for different levels of activity, and apparently what I do gives me an extra 800 - 900 calories a day. Whoopee!
barbarita wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote: I wonder if one is able to exercise regularly, like you and a couple of times a day is fantastic!.. that one has a much stronger appetite because of the training and thus losing weight is also harder. Is that right?

Depends on the exercise. A hard hill walk, with uphill stretches that get the heart pounding and chest heaving, jogging at a pace that gets me breathing hard, and a very long walk (4 hours or longer) puts the damper on my appetite. More moderate exercise, such as an hour or two of brisk walking, seems to have no effect.

I take no notice of calories, but out of curiosity I went on http://www.health-calc.com which has a very neat TDEE calculator for different levels of activity, and apparently what I do gives me an extra 800 - 900 calories a day. Whoopee!

Thats an extra 200 calories on a fast day!.. what an incentive to up your activity so that you can enjoy more food every day.

I did some gardening just now. Never tires me out at all unless i mow lawns so dont think it gives me much aerobic exercise, though good for you
I think vigorous calorie burning exercise is not for everybody. Years ago, I jogged for about half a year and I hated it so much that I'd rather eat 1200 calories than torture myself every day. It wasn't only the exercise but pounding the streets at night after work gave me the creeps. Just as I attained a fitness level of running for 40 minutes straight my knee started hurting and I had to stop. So gentle exercise if the way forward for me and now I walk briskly every day for 45 minutes (involves uphill) in my lunch hour and a bit more on Sunday. However this does absolutely nothing for a toned body but I am OK with that because I do it for health reasons as well as my sanity to get away from my desk. I have never been a beach holiday person - I am more the hill walking girl and I am not too concerned to look toned for a couple of months a year when I wear summer clothes.
However my new years' resolution is to find a pilates/yoga group mainly to strengthen my back and for general flexibility.
I go to a Pilates class once a week and I really enjoy it and have just started Yoga once a week too. I can't bear aerobic exercise but do try to walk more, although it's not my favourite way to spend an hour! I am aiming to stay flexible but 'toned' is way, way beyond my expectations!
Toned definitely, but toned and slim is even better. I like running and walking because of the good effect it has on my body and mind, and also because it pushes up my TDEE by around 1000 calories a day, sometimes more. I'm 50 this year and have rarely been fitter or slimmer in my life, just wish I'd taken more care earlier in my life when I hovered around 11 stone at 5'8 and was 'chunky' if not officially overweight. 130lbs and 15% body fat is much better.

Not for me, but I suppose that's an individual thing,
I don't usually eat because I'm hungry, I tend to eat because I'm bored, want something delicious etc... So for me exercise is good because it keeps me busy and often find it suppresses appetite. Once in a while when I was doing a lot of running 7-10 miles a day, I felt a bit hungrier, but when you're doing a lot of mileage that's a lot of extra calories to play with on your TDDE days and I stuck with fast days at 500 pretty well. However, a badly sprained ankle has put a stop to that for a while so have just been doing weight training, hiit and cardio gym classes.

I guess whats emerging from this thread is that , as usual :), everyone is different. Some people find it easier to eat less and thus exercise less, some people find it easier to exercise more and be able to eat more. I find exercise to be mentally important for me as well and I get cranky and grumpy if circumstances make me unable to workout.
25 posts Page 2 of 2