The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

32 posts Page 1 of 3
The Truth About Sugar
14 Mar 2015, 08:36
New series Thursday 8pm BBC1.
I will be watching this as usual, you have to don't you. Knowledge is king.
But I bet we know a whole lot of the facts already as we are a very knowledgeable bunch aren't we. With Fiona Philips looks like it's a 4 part series.
Re: The Truth About Sugar
14 Mar 2015, 10:01
Morning Carie!
I need to keep reading/ watching these things..i know sugar is bad for me but still addicted to sweet stuff tho not as much as i used to be...i need to reinforce the message as often as poss that it isnt doing me any good !
Have a good weekend xx
14 Mar 2015, 13:47
M looking forward to seeing the film Monday week:

http://www.thatsugarfilm.com/synopsis/
14 Mar 2015, 17:53
I found the trailer for this on youtube.com I'm hoping that the series is eventually posted there. @CandiceMarie, I need reminders about sugar too. Too easy to push the concerns to the back of my mind and start overdoing it again.
14 Mar 2015, 21:09
I still bake cakes but tend to reduce sugars in most recipes. No more lollies, gummy bears and shop-bought sweet biscuits. Ice cream and chocolates remain household favourites but less often. It's not easy!
14 Mar 2015, 21:37
I never know but is sugar better for you than sweeteners?
14 Mar 2015, 21:44
Sugar is more calorific @nursebean but over the years ive heard sweeteners have side effects and can be carcinogenic
Think one called Stevia may be ok tho? Someone else might know? X
14 Mar 2015, 21:50
Sweeteners always leave a twang. Low fat yoghuts are always too sweet for my liking
14 Mar 2015, 21:58
Eek i know @nursebean..sweeteners leave a horrible after taste..yucky x
14 Mar 2015, 22:02
What can we do eh? :confused:
14 Mar 2015, 22:18
How do you think i feel,with MY name? :oops:
We have to remember we are sweet enough without....! X
14 Mar 2015, 22:27
So true ;)
14 Mar 2015, 23:53
Hi everyone,
I really want to see 'that sugar film' @Cyclonetbut it doesn't seem to be filming in the big theaters but touring small ones but none near me :cry:
15 Mar 2015, 00:23
Hey @candicemarie. Stevia is fine but I can't stand the aftertaste personally. Buy the real stuff not the ones with other nasties mixed in. I have been using xylitol in moderation instead and get on better with it. It is still a sugar alcohol and about half the calories and the one I like is extracted from birch wood.

I have switched to xylitol only gum to get me through fast days. There is a product here called Spry gum which is ok and better than the stuff with aspartame and acesulfame-k.
15 Mar 2015, 01:04
@Wmr309, I read an interview with that anti -sugar guy (Lustig?); it turns out his wife likes to bake. He said she's reduced sugar in recipes to 75% with no effect on taste and texture.

Re: sweeteners. They are now regarded as safe. Stevia and polyols occur in nature (some fruits have polyols as sweeteners). I don't think you should worry about using them, especially in moderation. If you don't like the taste, that's another story.
32 posts Page 1 of 3