The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Newbie here. Support needed
10 Aug 2015, 14:31
Hi. I'm new to the site but not the idea of fasting. I've been a yo yo Dieter my whole life. I'm also a emotional eater. I am 5ft tall AnD weigh 182lb. I want to lose at least 65lbs.
What type of fasting windows is working for you to lose weight? Any advice and tips are much appreciated.
Re: Newbie here. Support needed
10 Aug 2015, 14:55
Hi SarahM4

Like you I am a newbie aswell and after only being on the site a few days I can tell you that everyone is lovely!!!

I tend to fast on Monday and Thursday and the other day i calorie count - my fitness pal is an excellent app to use when calorie counting. I fasted last week on Thurs and Fri (back to back) and lost two pounds when i weighed myself on Saturday morning.

However this week i am fasting today and intend to fast on Thursday.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :clover: :heart: :like:
10 Aug 2015, 15:17
Hello @Sarah m4. Welcome to the forum.

I found that a 19 hour fasting window (no calories at all), and then eating in the 5-hour slot, every day, worked for me. No calorie counting at all, just ate so I was full at the end of the 5 hours. Still doing this and have maintained my goal weight, more or less, for over a year.

Some members seem to be losing with 16 hours fasting and an 8 hour eating window. I think they are either calorie counting or more restrained than me!

Good luck with your new way of eating :clover:
10 Aug 2015, 16:06
I don't do windows; I have 2 days of <500 cals, about which I am very strict, and I tend not to eat anything till at least 6pm on those days, often later (just black coffee, water, plain green tea, and a veggie broth in the late afternoon). And I seldom eat breakfast. But I found that formally doing windows regularly just made me obsessed with eating, I had to be aware at all times "what time is it? can I eat yet?" and then overeating when allowed to. One of the main reasons 5:2 works for me is I don't have to think about it much; really only 2 days a week; and really only when it's dinnertime, since I've set up a structure that works for me; I even tend to eat mostly the same thing on light days. Normal days, are normal. I've lost 32lbs so far, would like to lose more, but this is my WOL for life and if/when I do, great! If not, I'm doing great now. Grateful to have found this WOL!
10 Aug 2015, 17:40
I'm 5'2 and by doing two fast days a week since April and keeping under TDEE on other days have lost 20 lbs and am now maintaining below my goal weight of 125 lbs. I haven't tried eating within a specified time as I am trying to train my brain to tell me to eat when I am actually hungry rather than at a set time or on impulse. Most days I feel full after lunch time and so wait until I feel hungry again, which is usually the following morning. I think it's a case of finding what suits your lifestyle.
10 Aug 2015, 20:48
Hello @Sarah M4 and welcome. I lost my weight fasting on a Monday and Thursday and I also use it in maintenance. How did you previously fast, were you using windows?
10 Aug 2015, 22:09
Thank you everyone for your responses. I've done both. 16:8 and 5:3. But it's been awhile. And my body doesn't seem to respond the way it used to 3 babies ago. I think I'm going to start with 5:3 and see how that goes.
11 Aug 2015, 00:16
I did 4:3 for weight loss and continue with it for maintenance (though maintenance for me has consisted of trying to get back to goal weight after gaining on holidays). I was going a bit too crazy on non-fast days, so I do a sort of modified eating window on those days. I have a soft-boiled egg outside the window (I wake up hungry after a fast day), but then stick to an 8 hour window. It cuts out a lot of pointless muffin and latte calories!

Welcome and good luck!
8 posts Page 1 of 1