The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

16 posts Page 1 of 2
3:4 fasting
05 Jun 2016, 21:14
Hi,
I've just found this site and it's really exciting to read through all the info here. One thing has me a bit concerned though - the ease most have with 5:2 and Intermittent fasting. I started on the 5:2 diet about 2 years ago at 600 calories on the fasting days (as a guy). That didn't really work after 6 months. I tried 3 days a week fasting and that didn't do much either. Now I am finally getting results fasting 4 days a week with good exercise 5 days a week (still 600 calories on fasting days). I fast on consecutive days, usually Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (nice to have weekends off and eating with the family). This way I have lost 9kg in 9 months (88kg to 79kg). Every now and then I'll do 3 consecutive days and that really helps shift the weight.

However, reading here it seems that consecutive days is a bad thing - is this right and if so, why? I'm quite comfortable doing it this way - after 9 months I'm used to it. I also wonder why the weight is dropping so slowly - if 5:2 is supposed to be 0.5kg per week, I am well below that on twice the amount of fasting days!

Thanks in advance!
Re: 3:4 fasting
06 Jun 2016, 11:42
If I had to guess, I would say that you might have really slowed down your metabolism fasting that much, and that is why with all of the hard work you're putting in, you're getting so few results. I believe that this was the reason for avoiding consecutive days of fasting, but it's been a long time since I read the book.
06 Jun 2016, 11:50
Welcome to the forum. What do you eat on your non fast days?
06 Jun 2016, 11:59
Tracieknits wrote: If I had to guess, I would say that you might have really slowed down your metabolism fasting that much, and that is why with all of the hard work you're putting in, you're getting so few results. I believe that this was the reason for avoiding consecutive days of fasting, but it's been a long time since I read the book.

Thanks for your reply. I never thought of that and seems to make a lot of sense. It also ties in with something else that I've noticed and is worrying me slightly - I've been measuring my heart rate and it is below normal (around 52 - 56 beats per min). I don't ever think I've ever had a slow heart rate - it's never been mentioned by a doctor or nurse at checkups, etc. A slower metabolism would slow the heart rate ... I'm wondering if this is a problem or not.

I think maybe I should try alternate day fasting and see if that makes a difference.
06 Jun 2016, 12:10
rawkaren wrote: Welcome to the forum. What do you eat on your non fast days?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Normal stuff really, whatever the family is having. Fruit, yogurt and nuts for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a normal dinner. I must admit, I'm not good on those days: dessert after dinner ... maybe a couple of beers or glasses of wine and crisps in the evening. I guess some of my fasting days are catching up on the non-fasting days.
06 Jun 2016, 12:19
I got into a situation where I was fasting 3 days a week but not losing. On closer examination I discovered I was eating over my TDEE on non fast days. I'm better at fasting 2 days a week and sticking to my TDEE for the rest of the week but everyone is different.
06 Jun 2016, 12:24
rawkaren wrote: I got into a situation where I was fasting 3 days a week but not losing. On closer examination I discovered I was eating over my TDEE on non fast days. I'm better at fasting 2 days a week and sticking to my TDEE for the rest of the week but everyone is different.

That sounds like it could be the case! Is there any calculator or similar online that you used to calculate your TDEE?
Thanks!
06 Jun 2016, 12:47
I just googled TDEE calculator. Here was the first result: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

If you want to reset your metabolism, you might want to consider a few weeks of not fasting, and eating at your TDEE each day. You don't have to stop exercising, just take a short break from fasting.
06 Jun 2016, 13:01
I would suggest the limit should be 3 days a week if you are doing "good fasts" and eating correctly (within your TDEE +- 10%) .
The total calorie deficit of 1500 x 3 per week or 4500 or thereabouts should be enuf. Mind you im no expert and not the shining example of good intermittent fasting but this is gut feel. It will prevent the back to back fasting days if you stick to solid and mindful 4:3.

All the best..

Im back on 4:3 in a big way starting this week.
06 Jun 2016, 21:29
@Leojez, I don't see that anyone has asked about your dieting history. Those of us who've dieted many times over the years may have compromised our metabolism and burn fewer calories than average. You're not the only one to hit the dreaded long-term plateau; I just haven't decided if it's worth it to me to change it up enough to get to losing again (rather than maintaining); this is the longest I've ever maintained a significant loss (32lbs), and I don't want to mess that up...though I would like to lose more. Let us know how it goes. :smile:
07 Jun 2016, 01:43
ferretgal wrote: @Leojez, I don't see that anyone has asked about your dieting history. Those of us who've dieted many times over the years may have compromised our metabolism and burn fewer calories than average. You're not the only one to hit the dreaded long-term plateau; I just haven't decided if it's worth it to me to change it up enough to get to losing again (rather than maintaining); this is the longest I've ever maintained a significant loss (32lbs), and I don't want to mess that up...though I would like to lose more. Let us know how it goes. :smile:

Hi, 32lb is fantastic! Other than the fasting diet over the past 2 years I haven't dieted. From the great responses on here I can see that I've made the mistake of going over my TDEE on non-fasting days and fasting on consecutive days. I'm going to move onto ADF and keeping good on the days off and seeing if that works.
08 Jun 2016, 20:33
Hi, @Leojez, On four fast days a week, you would have to eat really excessively on your non-fast days to lose weight so slowly but I see that you exercise five days a week. Were you exercising before you started fasting or did it start at the same time? If you have muscled up since the start of your fasting, then maybe your scales aren't telling the whole story. You may well have lost plenty of fat but increased your muscle, which is denser. It's less to do with weight and more to do with how you feel about your body shape now. You also didn't say how much weight you needed to lose. It is often noted that those with a lot of weight to lose tend to lose more quickly that those with less to go. If you put your stats into your tracker on this site, it will work out your TDEE for you, so no need to look elsewhere! It sounds as if your body could do with a 'shake-up', so making a change of routine could be a good thing. Just watch your non-fast days and you will be fine. Let us know how you get on!
08 Jun 2016, 21:14
Welcome to the group!

Can you tell us your current BMI?

Your current fast days are essentially equivalent to ADF so the likelihood of a metabolism issue is remote.
15 Jun 2016, 03:47
Hi! I have been doing 5:2 for 2 years, i stop it in my pregnancy last year, i gave birth on sept last year and in january i started fasting again... I drop 10 kgs in just 2 months, since 3 months ago i started working out again 6 times per week, i want to drop half a size only ( 2 kgs) but i cant loose anymore.. I dont know if my body doesnt respond anymore with fasting ( i can only mantain my weight) any advice pleaseee? Ive been in plateau for 3 months now...
Thanks!!!

17 Jun 2016, 12:04
Hi Priscilla
Your body might not want to lose any more weight. It might take fairly extreme measures to get that small amount lower and then it might be difficult to maintain.

How is your BMI?
16 posts Page 1 of 2