The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
A popular weight loss program in the States (at least in Seattle) is called 30/10. I keep hearing all these ads on my fave radio station, so was curious and looked into it. Uhhh...got few thousand dollars to spend??? And premade food, ick! Some reviewers said, Oh thinking about all the money I blew keeps me on it!...well, that only lasts so long, as most of us know quite well. Additionally, they apparently subscribe to the disproven belief that eating frequently "boosts metabolism"...yeah, if insulin resistance is boosting metabolism! Plus, to my mind, eating constantly keeps one focused on food all the time. (They probably do this to avoid the whole Fear of Hunger issue...if they cram you full of veggies every few hours, you won't get hungry...)

I suppose this is fine for those who: 1. Need someone else to tell them what to do (don't like/want to take personal responsibility); 2. Like having premade meals; 3. Have lots of extra money lying around; 4. Have the time and inclination to spend several hours a week going to the place (nearest one to me is over an hour travel time), you have to check in physically every week.

From what I've heard, this program "can" lead to significant, relatively fast weight loss. But I would guess that the long-term maintenance is still an open issue... sigh... I wouldn't expect that they would be upfront about that either. Look at WW and AA; they lie like a rug about success rates.
Technically they don't lie about success rates, since people lose the weight. The problem is that with programs like WW half the room is repeat customers. And it's our own damn faults -- weight watchers lets you maintain on their program for FREE -- but they know a lot of people won't bother. And the ones that don't bother come back to pay to lose. Maintenance is *way* harder than weight loss. If I had kept off every pound I have lost over the years, I wouldn't be obese. There are some women (yeah, only women) who come to my ww meetings once a month (one comes once a week) as lifetime members who don't pay, but they just want to maintain. They swear that this helps them maintain. As long as you come and get weighed once a month, you get a code for a free month of online tools, and your meetings are free.

Yeah, paying through the nose for weight loss is not great.

But that being said, I'm paying for the weekly meetings and the tracking tools right now. I have a small group of real-life friends who asked me to join them and I figured "why not". I've been able to lose, and lose well since I joined in April. I hadn't lost weight on my own in over a year.

So *shrug* that's freakin' awesome if you don't need it. But some people do really well on programs like WW and AA. I know what I'm supposed to be doing and in the year before I rejoined ww, I gained back 13 pounds I had lost fasting. And I was finding myself unable to stick to fasting. Now that I'm going to weekly meetings, I'm handling the fasting much better. And I've augmented their plan with what I've learned here, so I'm losing a lot more weight than most people at my WW meeting.

btw, I have never heard of 30/10. I'm guessing it's like Jenny Craig? That sounds nasty to me, I don't want premade food. But I can see how some people who aren't picky might find a program like that useful. Just look at how many eat Lean Cuisine -- willingly! Blows my mind. That stuff tastes awful to me.
Sorry if I sounded like I was dissing anyone for joining a group, WW or otherwise; I'm just not much into groups. I KNOW I wouldn't go; I can barely drag myself to my Saturday morning dance, and I LOVE that! I am just annoyed that they can get away with charging SO MUCH MONEY and take advantage of people desperate to lose weight...Oh, wait; it's not the LOSING that's the problem, it's the keeping it off! And once again--at least for the 30/10 program--once you reach your goal, you have to begin eating in the real world. Just seems like same old, same old... just losing more money than weight!
3 posts Page 1 of 1