The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I do well on my 2 fast days - but on my 5 days my downfall can come after dinner. That trip into the kitchen for a little somethin' somethin'. Not hungry at all, but want something :-)

@Sassy1[tag] mentioned this in a recent post. So how do others fasters manage this evening rummaging? On fast days I mentally put up the Kitchen is Closed sign, and maybe go to bed a little earlier. Other days are a little harder.

I am lucky that I live alone, so I don't keep crisps, biscuits, etc at home, so my pickings are usually dark chocolate, dried fruit, maybe a small dessert.

I'd love to hear your ideas!

cheers
Merry

[tag]Sassy1 - we are both in Melbourne...maybe we can help keep each other honest, at least during the current challenge. :wink:
Sigh,....saddest words in the English language..The Kitchen is Now Closed! I feel for you.
I try to have my dinner as late as poss,coz i too like a nibble watching tv!
All i can suggest is maybe some berries? Apple slices..a few nuts..a boiled sweet or two?

I cant see a bit of dark choccy will do any harm,and can be eaten slowly
How about a spoon or two of fullfat greek yog,its very satisfying x
Hi Merry @MerryMelb

Very happy to be mutually supportive during the challenge, and beyond - thanks for offering.

Re "the kitchen is closed", I have noticed that a number of forum members do not seem to have an issue with this, especially those who follow the eating windows strategy. It would be good to hear from them how they manage. I wonder if we/you should tag some people to get their input?

You mention that you are not hungry at all but want something to eat. That does sound a bit like a habit... Though it does sound like you are able to stop yourself overindulging - when I start on nibbles in the same situation, even the more healthy ones, I can end up eating half the pantry contents (slight exaggeration there!!).

Have you tried having a large glass of water, then seeing how you feel 20 mins later? If you really feel like something sweet, maybe very weak cordial might work - it can for me. Or just a couple of raisins. And another cup of black decaf...!

Berries, frozen ones especially, can be good. I now have a frozen orange for dessert, takes ages to eat and seems more satisfying. Carorees suggested a small piece of cheese if I am genuinely hungry, and that has worked, and lately cottage cheese seems to be doing the trick.

So far, 5 days into my challenge, I have not had any cravings for chocolate, but I expect that won't last. My real challenge will start once I do get those cravings (and give in to them) so I am really interested in hearing ideas from others too.
Hello, I've been meaning to reply for days but at the moment I can't login in on my Kindle, so waiting for some laptop time ...

I used to be an evening snacker, not out of hunger but from "emotional eating" - boredom, comfort, habit while watching TV or reading, to stay awake.

So when I started window eating, I set my window from 5 to 10 pm, so my whole snacking period would be legal. By the by, once I was a window eater there was no dieting - no calorie restriction.

After a while I experimented with moving my window forward and found I could stop absolutely whenever I set the end of my window, eg if 2 to 7 then I was still full at 7 and the thought of eating after that did not tempt.

I have now pushed the start of my window later again to shorten it, but the kitchen still closes at 7.
Hi,I am also an evening snacker. I am doing 16/8 at the moment and manage to not eat until around 2.30 then eat fruit,salad,crackers,cottage cheese etc for lunch and afternoon snack,then good dinner and then OMG after dinner I crave anything. I eat yogurt,nuts,dark choc etc.
I stopped eating my regular two squares of dark choc for a few days and then went crazy and ate and ate .so it looks like I have to stick to my regular piece of choc each day
I really struggle when I am at home. I run around working shopping exercise etc all day but as soon as I am at home I start looking for snacks. The weekends are very hard for me. In fact I am not loosing weight at all and I am sure it's the snacking. Even tho I am doing 16.8 and only snack on healthy things . I have a theory that it's the snacking not what you eat So maybe by committing here I will stick to my resolve. Lunch ,afternoon tea,dinner STOP
Thanks @barbarita! Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions... (I should really post these in the relevant tent.)

So for you, if you eat your day's worth of food in a short time period, then your body (and mind) remains satisfied until the next window. How long did it take you to not feel hungry outside your eating window, once you started 19:5? I wondered if you ever - and how often - feel hungry before your window? How often, if ever, do you eat in a wider window? And if you were doing a lot of exercise, eg going for an all-day hike, would you need to eat at all during the hike, and/or would you shift your window to suit the hike? Sorry for sounding like an interrogation, but I am genuinely curious. I can't imagine going without food for 19 or more hours every day - even on 5:2 fast days I can only just about go that long before having to eat. My TDEE is relatively high though, I think about 1800-2000, depending on how active I am.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :smile:
Sassy1 wrote: Thanks @barbarita! Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions... (I should really post these in the relevant tent.)

So for you, if you eat your day's worth of food in a short time period, then your body (and mind) remains satisfied until the next window. How long did it take you to not feel hungry outside your eating window, once you started 19:5? I wondered if you ever - and how often - feel hungry before your window? How often, if ever, do you eat in a wider window? And if you were doing a lot of exercise, eg going for an all-day hike, would you need to eat at all during the hike, and/or would you shift your window to suit the hike? Sorry for sounding like an interrogation, but I am genuinely curious. I can't imagine going without food for 19 or more hours every day - even on 5:2 fast days I can only just about go that long before having to eat. My TDEE is relatively high though, I think about 1800-2000, depending on how active I am.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :smile:

Hi @sassy1

a) I would not say I never feel hunger outside my window, but it is the transient type of hunger everyone learns to deal with on 5:2. Not eating sugars or much in the way of starches probably helps.
b) I did not find 19/5 hard because I had 4 months of 5:2 under my belt and I ate 0 calories on my fast days.
c) I have done 18 mile walks on the flat and 15 mile hill walks fasted. I carry nuts and black chocolate with me for emergencies but have never partaken (more for scenarios of getting lost or injured and needing rescue!). This level of exercise generally suppresses my appetite so I do not need to open my window any earlier.
d) I have never extended my window beyond 5 hours.
e) I have no problem eating enough within my window to sustain my level of exercise, and I am not fading away - in fact I am around 5 pounds heavier than 2 years ago. When I read people saying that fasting has dramatically lowered how much they can eat, I smile. My stomach has definitely not shrunk! :lol:
For me it's a case of not buying chocolate/nutty flavour ice cream as once it's available I can't help myself. With chocolate I need to keep packages closed. I tend not to buy lollies or chocolate biscuits as it's not good for the family either (but perhaps buy some for holidays or special occasions). I snack on Friday and Saturday night, sometimes Sunday but avoid any during two fasting days and the two lighter days. Brushing teeth soon after dinner helps too or drinking herbal teas such as peppermint or liquorice.
8 posts Page 1 of 1