The FastDay Forum

Fasting today?

Every day there will be a new topic in this forum for today's fasters to chat & support each other.
Please don't make extra threads in here besides the daily fasting threads, if you've got a question please post it in the relevant forum or ask in today's 'Fasting Today' thread, thank you.

15 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm fasting today. Already hungry and have only been awake for an hour. It could feel like a long day!. I'm trying out aqua jogging for the first time. I love swimming but have a funny feeling it is going to be a whole different ball game! I hope the force is with you all today xx
Hi,

I'm fasting today too. I'm a little concerned though, because I have to go to a meeting from 5-7 pm, 1/2 hour away, so that's late for me to eat dinner. I am bringing a banana to work with me that I might eat before the meeting. I'm not sure what I'm having for dinner yet either, but I'll do my best.

Good luck with aqua jogging! That sounds fun! I like swimming too!
@Cblasz - if it's not too late to change your choice of snack, I'd bring a handful of nuts. Yes, it's more calories than a banana (maybe?) but I find that bananas make me hungrier on a fast day, because of all that sugar, so I avoid them. Some protein and fat is much better-- I would get a hot tea somewhere and have the nuts and tea before your evening meeting. I actually do best with some dairy protein and fat, like cheese or plain whole milk yogurt. Anyway, good luck!

I'm in for a light day today. Aiming for 750 calories. So a bowl of homemade veggie soup for lunch and a big veggie salad with a grilled chicken breast for dinner :-)

May the fourth be with you @Esta - some fast days are much harder than others. If you find it's just too hard to make it a proper fast day, try something else, like a low-carb day and challenge yourself to eat as few carbs as possible.
I'm fine with the banana really. I find them very filling and I do eat it with some peanut butter! This has been kind of a crazy week anyway, so I'm just gonna do the best I can and that'll be fine! :)
Today is a struggle. I fasted on Tuesday this week instead of Monday - and I don't find it easy with only 1 day in between fasts. I am freezing cold abut trying to keep busy. I nearly gave up at about 10.30 but have stuck with it . I daren't eat anything until my evening meal - because once I release the hunger monkeys I am in trouble. I'm going to stick with my hot lemon water. Only 6 hours to go!!! Hope you both are doing well. I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow - I just hope my first weigh in shows some results xxx
I'm in today as well. Hoping everyone survived their challenges today.
Esta wrote: Today is a struggle. I fasted on Tuesday this week instead of Monday - and I don't find it easy with only 1 day in between fasts. I am freezing cold abut trying to keep busy. I nearly gave up at about 10.30 but have stuck with it . I daren't eat anything until my evening meal - because once I release the hunger monkeys I am in trouble. I'm going to stick with my hot lemon water. Only 6 hours to go!!! Hope you both are doing well. I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow - I just hope my first weigh in shows some results xxx

Well you are right about the hunger monkeys! I also find it difficult to fast with only one day between fasts -- that's most of why ADF does not work for me -- I mean I lose weight, I just can't stick with it.

Try some warm broth. That's my trick for difficult fasts in winter months. A mug (or two or three) of warm, salty broth.
Aaargh! My principal put a Reese's peanut butter cup (one) in our mailboxes today for teacher appreciation. If it was almost anything else, I could've resisted it! But I ate it. The good news is that it's all I've eaten today! :)
@EstaHappy belated 4th!
I fasted yesterday too - Success! I had a banana for my late evening snack - was good :)
I didn't succumb to snacking and dinner was healthy too! Very happy.
A quick update - and a thank you for the support. I made it through the day on under 500 calories. I really enjoyed aqua jogging - and I was so shattered it took my mind off being hungry. I've just bought a proper spiraliser so have been spiralising mad this week. So last night I made a raw pad thai (vegetarian version ) which was yummy. Although I had no idea that almond butter was so calorific!!! I know I need to weigh myself as its been 4 weeks since I started - but keep putting it off. Maybe tomorrow.....Enjoy your weekend folks. xxx
Dear @Esta

That's great that you managed the fast day and did the exercise class - you would be feeling very pleased with yourself. And using the spiraliser would add interest to your food - it all helps.

If you don't want to weigh yourself, don't! You don't need to weigh yourself to know if you have been eating the way you are wanting to, and if you are feeling better in yourself for doing so, then that is the main thing. Only weigh yourself when you feel ready - and the longer you leave it, the more likely the result will be pleasing. I totally understand that for many, a loss on the scales can be motivating. But for some, managing what the scales say may not be - even losses can be disappointing if not as much as one hopes. In that case (maybe in all cases...) much better to use how you feel as the guide to how well you are doing.

Best wishes whatever you decide! :clover: :clover: :smile: :smile:
@Esta I'm with @Sassy1 - don't weigh in unless you have to - I think I've learnt the hard way ha ha... :bugeyes: weighing in all the time... and getting upset with small fluctuations.
Thank you @Sassy1 and @wakki22 for your replies and support. I did weigh in the end and was pleased to have lost some weight. But I will not be back on the scales for at least another 3 weeks. As you both say the scales are a very small part of the bigger picture. And it is the changes that I am making to my lifestyle that are going to give me the results that I want. I have decided that I am only going to exercise that I enjoy. I tried aqua jogging last week and loved it so that is in. I also have a static bike that is comfortable (unlike the ones at the gym) so I am using that for my aerobic exercise. And I have gone back to yoga after 25 years and I'm really enjoying that. I've joined the local authority fitness club which means I have access to about 12 different fitness centres which have a huge range of classes - as well as swimming pools and gyms - so I am going to try some new things and see what I like. Each day I ask myself - "what can I do today to get me closer to my goal?" and that will vary day to day but it is keeping me focussed. I know how easy it is to lose this early positivity so I've written myself a letter and have asked my husband to give it to me if he thinks I'm struggling. At the moment it is easy - the sun has been shining for a few weeks in the UK and that makes the whole world feel like a better place. Thank you both again - its great to have support - especially from the other side of the world!
Dear @Esta

Your strategies sound marvelous! Absolutely only do exercise that you enjoy - and it seems like you have lots of options there. Doing all the activities you have chosen will help you feel better, and also stay motivated to make healthy food choices. If you are doing things that you enjoy, then you are likely to keep going with them.

I love the "what can I do today to get me closer to my goal" approach - such a positive one! And the letter to yourself for when your motivation drops a bit, what a great idea too.

The sun shining does make such a difference, doesn't it? I know how much sunny vs cloudy days impact on my mood!

Continuing best wishes. :clover: :clover: :smile: :smile:
@Esta totally love the idea of "what can I do today to get me closer to my goal" - Awesome way to set your intent!!
what @Sassy1 said - fabulous strategies - might use some of them myself!!
15 posts Page 1 of 1