The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello
24 Jun 2017, 10:29
I'm not new to fasting, as I did it last year very successfully, losing quite a bit over about 5 months. Somehow the winter put paid to all that, and I am now heavier than I have ever been. Last time I did it with a friend, and we reported progress weekly, but she is just as bad as me, and is also bulky at the moment and disinclined to resume our competitive fasting. So I am looking for new people to compete with! I adopted my user name by harking back to when I was about 5, staying with friends of my parents. The man nicknamed me 'Rotunda' which I did not even understand, but I remember my mother being irritated and saying 'Don't call her that' I don't think I was particularly podgy at that age, so have no idea what that was all about. Suspect he could not remember my real name.
Re: Hello
25 Jun 2017, 22:46
Welcome @rotunda! Interesting re your name, who knows what impact that may have had on you once you knew what the word meant.

There are a couple of newbies who might be willing to pair up - wait to see! Otherwise, and anyway, join the next challenge where you will have a bit of company - hopefully! Cblasz has called out for people interested in starting a challenge (have a look at the last one, the solstice challenge).

Things are fairly quiet on this forum nowadays, but generally someone will respond to initial posts.

What type of IF did you follow before, and what are you planning to do this time?

Good luck and best wishes. :clover: :smile:
26 Jun 2017, 15:17
Hi and welcome!!

I'm sorry about that nickname -- people can be so cruel. Amazing how an offhand and thoughtless remark can stick with a person for years.

I do want to caution you about competitive dieting though. I think while motivation is good, you need to find something in you that is going to tide you over when the competition stops or the friend goes off the rails, so that you don't end up regaining all the weight the second that external motivation is gone. I know it's tough, and I don't have all the magic answers as I'm currently fighting a 5 pound regain. But I do know if I weren't being vigilant, it could easily mushroom into a 50 pound regain, so I'll be resolute and determined to not go any higher.

What are your goals for losing weight?

For me, my goals have changed over the years. I've successfully ticked off "can fit comfortably in an airplane seat", and am doing reasonably well with "am fit enough to explore on vacation" - I have climbed Notre Dame or can climb the equivalent of 51 flights of stairs walking around Edinburgh, or 10 miles wandering the grounds of Versailles. My current goal is to lose more weight to get rid of my intermittent knee pain, which was cause by -- years of obesity. Yeah, I wish I had really *understood* what I was doing to my knees by being overweight for so long. Sigh.

Anyhow, I hope that gives you a bit of food for thought. Best of luck!!
28 Jun 2017, 00:13
Good luck and welcome ! Best wishes for yr journey x
28 Jun 2017, 14:29
Hi again @rotunda" a rose by any other name would smell as sweet!"
But then,what decent person would call a little girl a name like that? I m glad your mum ticked him off. Some people are just incredibly crass!!
Anyhoo once again,good luck and welcome..this forum is a lot quieter than it once was - which must prove fasting works! - but theres usually one or two folk round ready to listen and help and also a ton of backlog posts to dip into for tips and advice !x
28 Jun 2017, 14:38
Thank you everyone for your replies. I honestly don't think I was damaged for life by father's insensitive pal, and actually wasn't a particularly portly child. I think he probably could not remember what my name was, but I did pick up,on my mother's concern - you know that slight change of tone that was used when 'awkward' subjects like where do babies come from come up.

Anyway, have succumbed to a perfectly vile cold, complete with raised temperature, so fasting can go hang until I am fighting fit again.
29 Jun 2017, 05:26
Hi again @Rotunda, glad to hear you will look after yourself and get well before putting your body through the "stress" of fasting. Drink lots to help with both the cold and the fever. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :clover:

Apologies if we made too much of a thing around your name. In my case that may have been because I have been very hurt by ways in which others described me when I was much younger. I certainly don't believe in the old adage that "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"!!!

Do rejoin us once you are better. :clover: :smile:
7 posts Page 1 of 1