The FastDay Forum

Fasting today?

Every day there will be a new topic in this forum for today's fasters to chat & support each other.
Please don't make extra threads in here besides the daily fasting threads, if you've got a question please post it in the relevant forum or ask in today's 'Fasting Today' thread, thank you.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi there - Bean again!!

Well, here I am on my second fast of the week! I've bean weighing on a daily basis this week and its not looking good - so I'm hoping today's fast will see me get into the 10 stone something area for tomorrow's weigh-in!

Anyone else joining me today?

Bean :?: :smile:
Hi @nursebean :smile:

I have BSD fasted (ie around 800 cal) today. I have felt very hungry all afternoon - but given I did 4 hours of moderate exercise today, that is perhaps not surprising! I am finding that eating little and often works better for me when I feel so much hunger.

If you don't mind me asking, what BMI are you aiming for - and what are the eating behaviours that led to you being overweight? I seem to remember that you were at goal weight for a while?? What caused you to put on weight again? Hope this is not being too nosy. :grin:
Hi @Sassy1 and well done with all your exercises - that must really help!!

My fast didn't go quite as well as I had planned last Thursday. I ended up eating lunch, thinking I wouldn't have anything in the evening - and then I DID have something in the evening - doh! But I did keep my carbs way down low!

I'm aiming to get to a size that I feel comfy in. I am big chested so I really want to get them down as small as possible. Last year, no actually the year before, I reached my dream weight of seeing 9 on the scales (9 stone 13!!) and it seemed that from that moment I went bezerk! I went to Canada to spend a month with my sister. This in itself wasn't bad because my sister is such a healthy eater - and SO slim! It was when I got back that the weight started piling on.

Then I returned to being veggie and I think this threw me as I wasn't sure what to eat. Then my darling Poppy died. The first dog I've ever had - and it broke my heart. Of course, me and a broken heart equals...comfort food!! Oh boy! I did a lot of comfort eating. Before I knew it I was heavier than I was before I joined Slimming World. Of course, it doesn't help that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which can really bring me down at times.

My sister came over earlier this year and I was reaching the heaviest I've bean - 13 stone!! I feel awful next to my darling, slim sister and when she left I was determined that the next time we got together I would be a slim Bean. Its certainly working - I've lost 1 and half pounds in just 8 weeks. Its slowing down now so I need to be careful!

Anyway, how about you? Are you where you want to be yet?

Bean :heart:
Dear Bean @nursebean

My apologies for taking so long to reply.

It sounds like you have (had) a few challenges - CFS and the death of a loved pet can so easily lead to overeating for those of us who use food for comfort. But it seems like you have found renewed motivation and vigor to shed those excess pounds - your enthusiasm is shining through in all your posts. :smile: And good for you becoming a vegetarian!

I know this may sound negative, but I feel that unless we find strategies for managing our eating when times are not so good, or in general when we are not motivated, managing our weight will be a lifetime problem. Whoever can find a universal answer to that might make a lot of money!!! But I guess it is not realistic to find one solution that suits all - or, it seems, even one solution that suits most!!

This is where I do think CBT or other psychological strategies that address the causes of our overeating are the only long term solution for most. However, making oneself apply them is not easy either.

As you may recall, I lost weight easily and steadily with 5:2 - fasting was rarely difficult. I maintained for some while, but only by continuing to have fast days - which meant I was overeating on other days - ie I had not addressed my behaviors that led to overeating. And then over time I found I just couldn't manage regular fasting anymore - and this is where I am still at. I occasionally am able to do a couple of fast days, but soon am eating more and more on those days til I am not fasting anymore.

I would estimate I have regained close to half the weight I lost, but would not be technically overweight. Interestingly (annoyingly??) almost all the weight has gone on around my tummy, hips and legs, and some on my waist - virtually no increase at all on my upper body.

My main challenge is that eating is a pleasure and that I have been unable to find something so readily available that can provide the same immediate reward. Distraction can work during the day, but for me, in the evening, sitting in front of the TV, after a generally busy day, there is nothing like food...

To a point, this is okay if I am not eating more than I need - the real problem is when I continue eating when I don't even really fancy it. I do think that there is some poor brain wiring that causes this, or some strange chemical reaction in the body that sends poor messages to my brain - I can't come up with any other explanation!

I know all the techniques that could help, but don't/won't apply them most of the time...

Thanks for asking how I am going... :razz: and very best wishes for your journey. :clover: :smile:
HI there @Sassy1 - lovely to hear from you!!

You are so right! Its all very well losing weight the way we do but until we find a solution to why we end up comfort eating, its just going to be an onward struggle isn't it. I think fast days are just wonderful for helping us repair the damage we may have done the rest of the week. Find what triggers the 'munchies' is what is needed. I have found that cutting out caffeine has helped reduce the sugar cravings and definitely keeping my carbs low. I know I keep on but go and have a look at "Diet Doctor". Its a great website that talks about the health benefits of low-carb diets AND the important influence that intermittent fasting has on us. Its great!!

So here I am on a Sunday evening, having only eaten 13g of carbs - but quite a few calories (although Diet Doctor says not to bother about calories!!) and already looking forward to my fast tomorrow. I think I shall probably opt for my delicious Oatbran again!!

What day do you fast Sassy?

Here's to a great week for us all!

Bean :heart:
CBT ... as in mindfulness? If so, I'd come to a similar conclusion some time ago, but despite having backed into the idea by accident over a number of decades (most recently with running), I have yet to find a single recommendable source that directly targets the goals here. I've a growing list of books that dance all around the edges - each adding something useful to the puzzle - but not complete. Hard enough to convince anyone to read one book much less half a dozen.
Apologies again @nursebean and @ADFnFuel for a belated reply.

As you may have read elsewhere, no fast days for me for the moment...

CBT - cognitive behaviour theory. It's about reframing how you think about things - you probably know that. Mindfulness also has a place in managing how one deals with negative behaviours and thoughts.

Re CBT, I find the Beck Institute website has a lot of useful information and ideas re weight management, with its daily tips and also stories of individual experiences and how these are managed.
Hi @Sassy1!

Years ago I used a CBT therapist when my fear of spiders became so bad I was getting my dad to drive over and rescue me from our 8 legged 'friends'!! Anyway, I only had 6 sessions - and it worked! I am now in a position where a large spider is a scary thing but I guess in the seconds I spot it my rational behaviour takes over and I see myself getting a glass and placing it gently over said creature - and depositing him outside. I would never kill any living soul!! But anyway it worked so I'm sure it must be great for looking at why we over-eat.

I don't like it being used for CFS because its use seems to imply that CFS/ME is all in the mind. I can tell you now, it most certainly is not!!

So, yes! Trying to find the key to why we put weight on in the first place is the key. I had a bad day yesterday where I really craved food (I think its my time of the month) and I pictured in my head a bowl of 4 Weetabix with milk and cream. I was truly impressed when I managed to distract myself - but i did end up eating a mini Magnum!! :shock: I definitely need my fast today! :wink:

Bean :cool:
8 posts Page 1 of 1