The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

23 posts Page 1 of 2
Ugh! plateau is now a gain!
12 Sep 2013, 07:10
I have plateaud for months and this morning I was so confident that I would have lost something, like even a gram and instead I went up. I have been holding between 59.2-59.5 and today I was 59.8. Ugh I know its small but it is starting to get frustrating. I also went on a 12 mile walk on Sunday so thought, wow even more exercise this week, so I probably will lose something. I guess what is really bumming me out is the fact that it is my wedding anniversary today and my husband did his usual, NOTHING!!!!! Not even a card. Makes me want to strangle him and then have some cake! But no I will plod on and maybe try 4:3 again and see if I can shake this gain/plateau. I think I am close to what I am supposed to weigh, I am almost 5 foot 6 1/2 inches. I really would like to be about 9 stone even and feel like I have a tiny buffer. Okay onwards and downwards!
Re: Ugh! plateau is now a gain!
12 Sep 2013, 07:23
plateaumama! Happy Anniversary - I hope you manage to enjoy today, even if your husband hasn't done anything special for it...maybe you should take control of the reigns, make something special for dinner and then jump aboard and make him remember why he married you in the first place! (sorry to be crude)

You have done fantastically well already and your 'plateau' may well be your appropriate weight - I'm 5 foot 6, currently 12 stone 12 and am aiming towards 10 1/2, so it's interesting that there's such a difference in our goals! Take a step back, look at yourself and work out whether you're actually comfortable in the skin that you're in and whether you really do need to lose any more or whether you're starting to compete with yourself. You should be really chuffed with how well you've done, and I have an inkling that you're probably looking great, too!

Best wishes and try not to get frustrated! xx
12 Sep 2013, 07:38
I have decided that gravity is stronger on some days!
12 Sep 2013, 07:47
Hi Plateaumama,

Yep, frustrating or what? A husband who ignores you and a body that also ignores what you want it to do. All I can advise is, keep going, with both of them and things will change, well, you should at least eventually lose a bit more weight. Just think how many calories your kind husband has saved you from by not taking you out for a fabulous meal, :lol: oh, and the 12 mile walk probably is the guilty party for your small gain. :frown:

Good luck,

Ballerina x :heart:
12 Sep 2013, 10:13
Hey there, thanks for the responses! Made me feel better! I completely understand the idea of taking the reins, and unfortunately I have done that for too damn long and me thinks its his turn. I also think that I am probably at the right weight and just need to accept that. I got some good giggles from your responses and that keeps me going! Live, love and laugh! Thanks for the support!
12 Sep 2013, 11:07
Hi plateau mama
I am in exactly the same boat as you.could have been me writing.i mean about the weight not the anniversary
I have been the same weight for months.wrote on here earlier today and also earlier in the week cos like you I am feeling very frustrated my BMI is just over 20 and I would love to lose just one more kilo but despite all my efforts can not do it.
Like you I feel I need that kilo as a buffer.at this weight I feel fine but fear putting on and last week I did put on a bit but after two fasts I am back down but jut not quite enough
And frankly I am getting sick of this
It worries me as this is the point when I start looking for a different approach .i am a serial dieter but this is the only time I have managed to lose those few kilos.
Anyway,just wanted to say I know how you feel
And happy anniversary !
12 Sep 2013, 12:13
hey sarahg, thanks for writing and it is great to hear that someone is in a very similar boat to me! I too have been a serial dieter most of my life. Never tipping into overweight but getting quite close. Now I am almost where I think I should be but then when I keep plateauing or gaining a few grams, losing a few grams, I too lose my mojo and start looking elsewhere. I tried the harcombe phase 1 diet for a week and I lost zippo. Very frustrating, but got my sugar issues under better control. So I really think 5:2 is the way and it is so doable. Maybe you like me need to just accept where we are at? Maybe not! I really want the buffer but trying not to get stuck on a number but it is a difficult place to be right now. Thanks for the anniversary wishes. My husband has said he is going to take me out for a nice meal tonight! So I am pleased that he has removed his head from his arse!
12 Sep 2013, 13:09
Lets keep in touch an support each other
And stick to 5-2 :)
Enjoy the dinner,how many years?
12 Sep 2013, 16:26
Hey Sarahg, that would be great to have a support buddy and stick to 5-2! Five years today! We are heading out soon but I will write more later. ta,j-
12 Sep 2013, 20:49
I'm 5 foot 5 inches and am aiming for 10 stone (140lbs) as anything less makes me look gaunt. I am too old m#now to look gaunt on top of wrinkled and haggard with loose floppy skin. I would think that you are probably at your correct weight.
The program 'The men who made us fat' (someone correct me if I'm wrong) showed how the measurement of a healthy BMI was fiddled with to make us all think we are fatter or of an unhealthier weight than we used to be. Plus there are many very healthy people out there whose BMI puts them in the overweight range, yet they are muscle bound apes. BMI and actual weight just doesn't take into account how dense your body composition is.

Are you skinny fat, or are you healthy and toned but a bit higher weight?

http://fatlossevolution.com/wp-content/ ... 27-136.jpg
13 Sep 2013, 19:25
hey julieathome, thanks for your reply and really interesting post and the link to photos. I guess i am healthy and toned versus the skinny fat. I saw the programs you were talking about as well and I think again I need to accept where I am at and see how good it really is! I guess I am a bit afraid to go to maintenance and start gaining weight but ya know that probably won't happen except if I discard all the principles I have been adhering to! Thanks for your response!
13 Sep 2013, 19:37
I hit a plateau and kept losing and gaining the same few pounds. What I tried was generally focusing on eating fewer carbs (white bread, rice, potatoes, sugary food) and I cut out wine. The scale started moving down again once I did that. So I really do believe that what you eat is just as important as how much you eat. 300 calories of ice cream is not the same as 300 calories of fruit. Goodluck!
15 Sep 2013, 07:18
hey carleneruns, totally agree about reducing carbs and ice cream! I have been really trying during the week to avoid bread, pasta, and ice cream. I have unfortunately caving a bit on weekends. the trick for me is to not have the slight cave in become a huge landslide. Sugars though seem to do that for me, once started I have a hard time thinking of anything else that gives me that rush. I guess more importantly though I need to remember the downside of the rush which is not so great and makes me feel like rubbish. ah the whole balancing act!
15 Sep 2013, 08:51
Cutting carbs will work for most people (but not everyone). I try to keep carbs down to 150g a day but much lower on fast days (under 30g), I think it really helps. Remember carbs release insulin and while there is high insulin, fat cannot be released from stores.
15 Sep 2013, 09:49
carorees wrote: Cutting carbs will work for most people (but not everyone). I try to keep carbs down to 150g a day but much lower on fast days (under 30g), I think it really helps. Remember carbs release insulin and while there is high insulin, fat cannot be released from stores.

Caro: Is 150gr something you came up with arbitrarily or is there a method behind it? I am asking because I was low carbing for a long time and felt great on it and lost weight. Since stumbling upon 5:2 I have been been able to maintain weight loss and feeling well but enjoy some foods I missed. So my questions are if there is any reasoning behind 150gr and if you have noticed a positive change since you started?

150gr is much more liberal than the 20gr I stuck to. 150gr would be a breeze and would allow for quite a bit of foods I miss while low carbing.
23 posts Page 1 of 2