The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Cauliflower rice
27 Sep 2013, 17:36
How come I've only just discovered this?
This is what I've been missing in my life! I love cauliflower!
Today is fast day and for my dinner I've just had sainsburys tadka daal side, with 200g cauli rice and two sweet potato and onion bhaji. It was fantastic and 478 cals. The 'rice' gave some substance and was squillions less cals than my usual rice!
I am a very happy bunny x
Re: Cauliflower rice
27 Sep 2013, 17:38
Isn't it great when you come across things like this!?!
27 Sep 2013, 18:31
Karenm wrote: How come I've only just discovered this?
This is what I've been missing in my life! I love cauliflower!
Today is fast day and for my dinner I've just had sainsburys tadka daal side, with 200g cauli rice and two sweet potato and onion bhaji. It was fantastic and 478 cals. The 'rice' gave some substance and was squillions less cals than my usual rice!
I am a very happy bunny x

Cauliflower rice . . . I've heard this mentioned before but don't know how to prepare it. What's the procedure, please? Do I chop finely? Do I grate it? How do I cook it? :?:
27 Sep 2013, 19:10
Here is recipe from Carorees:

35 kcal cauliflower 'rice'

Postby carorees » 15 Feb 2013, 08:42
A great low cal, low carb alternative to rice!

Servings: 6
Serving Size: 1 cup

Ingredients

1 Head Cauliflower
Salt and Pepper
Optional: Olive oil if you want to saute it

Instructions

Roughly chop the cauliflower into smaller pieces.
Chop cauliflower in a food processor until it is broken into small “rice” like pieces.
Option 1: Place the desired serving size in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 1 to 3 minutes until it is at your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste and any other spices or flavouring.
Option 2: Add 1 tsp olive oil to a small pan. Add 1 diced shallot or 1/2 onion and saute until translucent. Add cauliflower rice and cook for 3-5 minutes until at your desired consistency. Add fresh herbs, spices, or other flavourings.

Nutritional Information: 35 calories, 0.3g of fat, 7.3g of carbohydrates, 3.5g of fiber, 2.8g of protein
27 Sep 2013, 19:39
Thanks Debbiejgb for your very quick reply. Perfect. Sounds so easy (and tasty). I have a cauli in the fridge and now can't wait to experiment!
28 Sep 2013, 06:43
LOVE cauliflower rice!!! You know you can make pizza too....

http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/0 ... pizza.html
28 Sep 2013, 07:04
If you don't want to use a whole cauliflower 100g cauli = 30cals. I don't saute it just put it in the microwave. I usually have 150g (=45cals) if I am having it with curry, less if it a side veg.
28 Sep 2013, 07:21
Thanks Karen..i love cauli too and will deffo try this
Thanks to Caro for the recipe and thanks to Lil for the cal count! X
8 posts Page 1 of 1