The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

30 posts Page 1 of 2
Feeling sorry for myself
02 Oct 2013, 13:54
Drat was sailing out the door last week heading off for the last day of a course feeling chuffed when I rolled my ankle. Didn't see the only piece of bark blown on the path with high winds. I knew instantly I had done damage. Sure enough tomorrow it's a week and I am still struggling with it,

I have done the rest, ice, elevate and have been wearing a bandage ever since. The bruising is apparent. Saw the doc got the anti inflammatory script. But I was looking forward to going to yoga tonight but didn't. Can do gym tomorrow as I do seated bike and elliptic cross trainer with sense. I would pace myself.

What bothers me is my ankle and foot are still unhappy. I have decided today to make a comfrey poultice which I did and the goop and glad wrap have been on a good 12 hours but then someone later today just suggested leaves straight onto my skin. I have done that and my foot is just wrapped in a crepe bandage. Now. I am set for bed and my foot is cranky.

Anyone out there got any tips. Am I too impatient. Does the comfrey stir it up before it heals. As am feeling frustrated thought fellow forum members might be a healing balm :(
Re: Feeling sorry for myself
02 Oct 2013, 13:59
Awww :cry: no advice but will a hug help? :hugleft: :heart: :hugright:
02 Oct 2013, 14:01
I'm sorry to hear that Gillymary. Have nothing practical to offer but lots of sympathy instead. May your foot heal quickly! :heart:
02 Oct 2013, 14:05
I feel for you. I'm no doctor, but having injured myself in the past I would say not to rush it. You will be better off in the long run.

Did they take an e-ray? I rolled my foot once and had a small bone that broke. It took 5 or 6 weeks to get back to normal. I don't mean to discourage you, but when I was recovering rushing it only made it worse.

Maybe this is the time to do upper body with light weights if you aren't already. It could keep your mind off your feet!

Good luck.
02 Oct 2013, 14:05
Poor thing! Do you know if you have torn anything? Have an epsom salt bath (more anti inflammatory script). It might ease it. Having said that, a week is not very long....
02 Oct 2013, 14:06
Awe.... hugs from Wales across the oceans.
Have you had an X ray? That might be wise to eliminate anything nasty. Otherwise it sounds like you're doing things right.
The only other thing I suggest is Arnica; I fell off my bike and received some horrible bruises which Arnica soon soothed.

xx
02 Oct 2013, 14:09
Oh, my old friend (use of the word 'old' is merely a sign of affection, so no insult there!)what can one say except 'I'm SO sorry' I hope you recover soon and if it's any help, cabbage leaves applied directly CAN have a curative effect. I poo poo'd this idea til a neighbour suggested it for hubs who poo poo'd it even more vigourously than me but under huge pressure, and copiously amounts of wine, agreed to at least try the aforementioned silly remedy. You scrunch the leaves to release whatever it is that is released when you scrunch them, then you just stick them onto the afflicted area and anchor them with a bandage, or something and the next morning you will find that you are gambolling around the house like a young'un, on the other hand, nsaids will do the trick without any vegetarian input!!!

good luck and let us know how it goes,

Ballerina x :heart:
02 Oct 2013, 14:18
Plenty of cushions, get your foot higher than your head for 10 minutes every once in a while, comfy sofa, good book or film, a proper hot toddy (the kind with a wee dram in! :grin: )and a buff young man obeying your every whim! :lol:
That would make me feel better anyway!!!
02 Oct 2013, 14:20
Thanks Airi and Betsy JM53 eek 5 weeks am just so cross with myself for not watching where I was going and rushing, It is amazing how disabling a sore foot actually is. Also it is the second ankle twist in a couple of months in August was also laid up. it was the other one last time but both put one out of kilter and out of sorts and then one needs to be patient.

Was keen to be getting on with my exercise walking etc. An X-ray might be the shot. Yes Karen you are right a week is not long. The Epsom salt foot soak will be on the agenda tomorrow. May as well do a pedicure and paint my toe nails red. Penny had given poor foot a rub today with arnica and thanks for the hug

Oh more forum time then. Maybe it is sore because I need to rest up more tomorrow. Thanks
02 Oct 2013, 14:22
Hey Dhana, there is nothing wrong with me (OK, OK, it's a matter of perception!!!) but I like your way of dealing with things, so......

Ballerina x :heart:

P.S. Gillymary, this is THE WAY TO GO GIRL :lol: :lol: :lol:
02 Oct 2013, 14:28
Hi gillymary well the comfrey is supposed to bring out the bruising I think
So it may get worse before it gets better sorry :shock:
Elevation/rest/soak in Epson/keep taking the pills :heart:
Hope you're feeling better soon and try not to hurry things along it's more important to take care of yourself :clover: Sue. :clover:
02 Oct 2013, 14:32
What about a compression sock? They can help speed up recovery time.

Sending hugs in the meantime (((())))
02 Oct 2013, 14:39
Thanks Ballerina I well remember the relief of the cabbage leaves for those post baby boobs. I will get back up, happens to have said cabbage in fridge as the comfrey is no comfort.

Now Dhana if laughter heals I have just had a good dose by the time I got to the buff young man suggestion. That would be so handy and easy on the eye. Cheeky girl. I am with you Ballerina, good suggestions there

Hi sue I was wondering if the comfrey was doing its job, as it is more swollen but that might be just the end of the day and not resting as much as I ought

Hi Izzy thanks it is such a b*mmer last course day too and feeling pleased as punch. My teacher and fellow students ran around after me which was sweet.

Now I am confused do I wrangle the cabbage leaves or stick with the comfrey..

Umielia I don't have a compression sock but that sounds like a plan tomorrow maybe after seeing if I can get Xray happening. It is frustrating to not have had that ordered in the first place.
02 Oct 2013, 15:14
Comfrey, arnica and cabbage leaves - all great suggestions for the early days. If it's still griping after a week or so I might hit the allopathic stuff such as 'voltarol' (ibuprofen based anti-inflammatory / analgesic gel).

And it can't be said too oft: keep it gently moving but *whenever* you are sitting down, make sure that the foot is elevated to bum level-ish (if possible).

Someone up-thread mentioned five to six weeks - sorry to be gloomy but they're probably right.

Feeling sorry for you too xxx FatDog
02 Oct 2013, 15:42
I did the same some time ago and being a complete busy bee I didn't take as much care as I should. I ended up falling of my ankle repeatedly for the next two years.
My doctor explained that because of the initial injury, the nerve endings were sending distorted or incorrect information at times, which meant that my foot may not have been positioned correctly for a step. That plus the signals not travelling fast enough to say there was something 'wrong' underfoot like a small branch, or the edge of the pavement. It meant that my foot was quite often at a 45 degree ankle when it should have been flat for example. Every time it happened it put me back to hot compresses and ice. The gaps between re-injuring myself did get further apart and lessened in severity. But it was two years before I was confident that I wasn't going to turn my ankle for no reason other than that my foot forgot where it was and what it was supposed to do.

So take care, don't rush it and get it x-rayed if you can.
30 posts Page 1 of 2