The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

42 posts Page 1 of 3
Why i weigh daily
21 Nov 2013, 23:41
I know its been discussed to death in the forum but i was feeling really strong about it.

As some may know i way daily, write up a paper chart stuck on fridge with date, day of week, weight and also on same line, this time last month

Now if 22nd happened to me my date of weighing monthly i would have shot myself today cause there is no loss of weight this month to last month but i know that im seeing really low weights and close to my 69.999 goal and often im 800g or even 1.5k lower than "this time last month" on several days this month. and my progress tracker trend line is definitely on the weigh down.

see my progress chart screenshot. .it says it all.. see how you can draw a horizontal line between 22nd november and 22nd october they both show 71.2

So thats why i daily weigh so i know precisely whats going on with my weight.. the good and bad. and the fluctuations are part of it all. the odd high weight doesnt bother me at all.

So i will continue to weigh daily till im on maintenance and then i might switch to weekly.
Re: Why i weigh daily
22 Nov 2013, 00:40
Yes, I also weigh daily. I do it for the same reasons you mentioned! Some days it's up, some days it's down. I think if I only saw the up days I'd freak out. I haven't lost weight and kept it off for a few months now, but the fact that I see the scale go down (even if it goes back up on non fast days) helps me think I'm moving in the right direction, even if I'm not actually moving!!
22 Nov 2013, 04:44
What fantastic progress! I am certain that you will hit your Christmas goal. Your discipline is inspirational.

Personally, I don't think I could handle the emotional upheaval a daily weigh in; I would appear to be bi-polar.
22 Nov 2013, 05:18
I was anti-weighing (for myself) for awhile, because I was worried I would get obsessive. I nervously started weekly weighing in the health clinic at work. Luckily my progress was quite smooth, so the daily fluctuations I may have been hitting with a weekly weigh-in didn't matter too much. I finally decided I could handle having scales in the house, so I got some souped up ones that give fat % and what not (in Japanese!). I weight daily and it really goes up and down a lot.

I try not to let it get to me, but sometimes it does. I enter the numbers in True Weight, which helps, though I think the trend line there tends to be on the high side. Every now and then I get a high weight that I refuse to record. haha.

Anyway… when I start on maintenance (which seems like it will be never, the way I've stalled lately), I'm not sure how often I will weigh. I'd like to go back to weekly, but I'm not sure it's so reliable. Daily weighing does kind of get me down sometimes, though.

What do the maintainers out there do? Is weekly sufficient? If you have an outlying number (low or high), do you just weigh again the next day?
22 Nov 2013, 05:28
Juliana.Rivers wrote: my progress tracker trend line is definitely on the weigh down.

To each their own - to me, that's precisely why I don't feel like I need to weigh daily, because the tracker says I'm losing. Knowing all the fluctuations wouldn't relax me, it would stress me out.

For a few months, I counted calories on fast days. I no longer do that, because my daily total was always 300 - 400 calories, without measuring ingredients or portions. Once in a while closer to 500, which I think is okay. (also, the calorie counting apps and tables are so random - when I did count and conclude I had eaten, for example, 413 calories, I knew that the real number was probably somewhere between 300 and 500)

So my point here is that I take a really "stripped down" approach to 5:2.

Nothing until a light dinner Monday and Thursday, weigh myself Friday morning. The end.

You are doing great with your system, I'm doing great with mine.

Thanks again for all the time you put into the CC!
22 Nov 2013, 05:36
MaryAnn wrote: I was anti-weighing (for myself) for awhile, because I was worried I would get obsessive

I started 5:2 in mid-March, after I read a New York Times article about it. I didn't weigh myself at all till the end of June - I was too scared! When I finally did get on the scales, I had lost 11.5 pounds :grin:
22 Nov 2013, 06:20
Yes I am with you 100% Juliana. I weigh daily and then take the average of each day for my weekly weight. It has always worked for me...but then...I am a bit OCD about it.

Here's my blog from 'weigh' back when, talking about the pros of daily weighing and averaging as opposed to a once a week ...

http://52fastdiet.co.uk/blog/The+Fishba ... b-350.html

I am also with you Wendy as do what works for you. It's just good that we have a place to share ideas ... even if mine are a bit crazy. :confused:
22 Nov 2013, 06:23
wendyjane wrote:
Juliana.Rivers wrote: my progress tracker trend line is definitely on the weigh down.

To each their own - to me, that's precisely why I don't feel like I need to weigh daily, because the tracker says I'm losing. Knowing all the fluctuations wouldn't relax me, it would stress me out.

For a few months, I counted calories on fast days. I no longer do that, because my daily total was always 300 - 400 calories, without measuring ingredients or portions. Once in a while closer to 500, which I think is okay. (also, the calorie counting apps and tables are so random - when I did count and conclude I had eaten, for example, 413 calories, I knew that the real number was probably somewhere between 300 and 500)

So my point here is that I take a really "stripped down" approach to 5:2.

Nothing until a light dinner Monday and Thursday, weigh myself Friday morning. The end.

You are doing great with your system, I'm doing great with mine.

Thanks again for all the time you put into the CC!

I guess you have a point. on my fridge chart i shouldnt write my actual weight but my "trend weight"

if i did, my trend weight at

nov 22 is 70.9kg
oct 22 it was 71.5 so thats a 600g loss over the month

so you have given me an idea.. dont look at this time last month as a raw figure at all. but as trend weight..

thanks for that WendyJane!

(i will still weigh daily)
22 Nov 2013, 07:12
I've been a mainteneer for nearly 3 months now. I weigh daily. I think I will probably weigh daily for the rest of my life. It's quite quite simple, as soon as I see a creep of even 500g (1lb) then I'm careful until it's back off.

I know how easily weight can creep back on & I will not have that. 4 times in my life I have crept up to being close to obese & I am determined not to go there again. If that means that I have to be OCD about it then so be it. I know I don't have a 'negative' weight problem as I have been stable for 3 months & am not trying to lose, I also don't particularly watch what I eat (my body kinda tells me what I want & don't want now) except when I've got to pop 500g back off.

So, there you go, daily weighing for me.
22 Nov 2013, 07:18
I admire you guys, but its too much of an emotional rollercoaster for me having tried it for two weeks. So I have gone back to weekly (for now) :grin:
22 Nov 2013, 08:19
Maintenance for six months now, still weigh daily - why not? Some of the extreme swings I have seen in daily readings can be explained by changes in routine and salty food like curries but Libra's trend line does a great job as long as you don't miss a few days out and then have an extreme weighing...
22 Nov 2013, 08:29
As a maintainer, I check my weight 2-3 times a week, usually after fast days, and once during mid week. I prefer not to check my weight during or immediately after weekends, I don't really want to think about the immediate short term effects of all that food and drink, why ruin the fun part. If I loose too much I eat more, If I would happen to gain some, I eat less.

I think it's very important to keep checking your weight consistently, to avoid developing bad habits and keep the weight stable over time, rather than dealing with your health by "listening to your body" or some other arbitrary means.
22 Nov 2013, 08:50
Yep, I'm a daily weigher too - for all the reasons you say Juliana, but I totally agree with Wendyjane too - so guess I could do either. But I do like to see what's going on... and, for me, it does help to keep me on the straight and narrow. I record my weight weekly and if I've not lost from one week to another, but can see I've had some much lower weights on the days in between then I don't mind too much. If I hadn't of weighed daily and then seen no weight loss I'd not be a happy bunny :frown:
22 Nov 2013, 08:58
Don't groan, I know its the Daily Mail, but I found this link on another site. Incredible http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... 1-94349301
22 Nov 2013, 09:29
@kencc what did you use to plot the first chart? mever seem a chart like that
42 posts Page 1 of 3