The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

14 posts Page 1 of 1
im made this today http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3141 ... range-soup

and notice it says kcalories not CALORIES which is how i normally think about things for 5:2

does this mean this recipe is just 92 calories per serve?

whats the diff and why do some recipes use kcalories in terminology

confused

btw this was one tasty soup. i changed it up a bit (doubled the quantity, added chilli flakes and mint as well as the coriander at the end. and didnt process it. i like my soups chunky!)

pic attached
Wow, looks very yum!!

When we use the term calorie, what we are actually talking about is kilocalories - but it is a very common thing to just say calorie. Presumably is some historical reason for this.

Whereas we do tend to say kilojoule, not joules - not sure why the diff!

So it would be just 92 (k)cal per serve - or 92,000 cals!!!!!
Had to pop in and say how delicious that soup sounds! Have bookmarked the recipe, thanks for the recommendation!
That's lunch sorted then. Wondering what to have. Thank you :like:
I shaved it to 76 calories per portion by leaving out the orange juice and low fat yogurt (because I didnt have any), and it still tasted delicious. A good competitor to our roasted garlic and cauliflower soup fasters. Highly recommended. Thank you Juliana :like: :like: :like: :like:
Glad that soup caught your attention.. Ive made many soups and honestly one of the nicest ive ever tasted. I changed it up a bit with some chilli flakes. I also didnt food process it as i like it chunky .. oh and i added fresh mint from the garden at the end, as well as the coriander. If you arent fasting, you can add diced potato for a bit more body though someone in the comments areas suggested sweet potato. - you will see i added in the pic. I was fasting but thought 'what the heck'.. i do give myself a bit of leeway. it was only 1/4 of a potato that i ate anyway plus i had fasted all day so had some calorie leeway.

My daughter went looking for a second serve (which is rare for her) and i had to report it was all gone.
I kilocalorie = 1000 calories (small "c")= 1 Calorie (capital "C")
1 kcal = 1 food Calorie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie
def going to make this tomorrow (monday) for fasting meal. i think i'll leave it chunky too.
Chook wrote: I kilocalorie = 1000 calories (small "c")= 1 Calorie (capital "C")

so a calorie (small c) is not the same as a Calorie(big C) ?

normally i thought initial capitalisation is not a significant thing.

what if i wanted to start a sentence with the word calorie but meant calorie (small c)

they make it so complicated

and per bob. if you put the Capital C in Carlorie then thats the same as a kcalorie with the small c
it's a rather idiotic convention in my mind, to adopt something so obviously confusing. I didn't even realize it until I came to Japan, where they use kcal. I was a bit confused at first about food having so many calories so I looked it up.

p.s. OMG that recipe and all the other linked to on the page look AMAZING. I should have known not to click on it on a fast day.
Juliana.Rivers wrote: per bob. if you put the Capital C in Carlorie then thats the same as a kcalorie with the small c

If talking about the energy in food, it is always a Calorie, which is a kilocalorie.

"Nutrition
In nutritional contexts, the kilojoule (kJ) is the SI unit of food energy. However, calorie and kilocalorie are still in common use.[7]

In these contexts, confusingly, the word "calorie" and "kilocalorie" refer to equivalent units (the former to the large calorie and the latter to 1000 small calories). Sometimes, in an attempt to avoid confusion, the large calorie is written as "Calorie" (with a capital "C"). This convention is not always followed, and not explained to the average person clearly.

These quantities are often used for the total amount of food energy (e.g., in a meal) and for the specific energy, namely amount of energy per unit of mass (e.g. "calories per gram", "calories per serving"). Nutritional requirements or intakes are often expressed in calories per day.

Chemistry
In scientific contexts, the term calorie almost always refers to the small calorie. Even though it is not an SI unit, it is still used in chemistry. For example, the energy released in a chemical reaction per mole of reagent is occasionally expressed in kilocalorie per mole.[8][9] This use is largely due to the ease with which it can be calculated in laboratory reactions, especially in aqueous solution; a volume of reagent dissolved in water forming a solution, with concentration expressed in moles per liter (1 liter weighing 1 kg), will induce a temperature change in degrees Celsius in the total volume of water solvent, and these quantities (volume, molar concentration and temperature change) can then be used to calculate kcal/mol. It is also occasionally used to specify energy quantities that relate to reaction energy, such as enthalpy of formation and the size of activation barriers. However, its use is being superseded by the SI joule unit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie

"In the International System of Units, energy is measured in joules (J) or its multiples; the kilojoule (kJ) is most often used for food-related quantities. An older metric system unit of energy, still widely used in food-related contexts, is the calorie; more precisely, the "food calorie", "large calorie" or kilocalorie (kcal or Cal), equal to 4.184 kilojoules. (It should not be confused with the "small calorie" (cal) that is often used in chemistry and physics, equal to 1/1000 of a food calorie.) Within the European Union, both the kilocalorie ("kcal") and kilojoule ("kJ") appear on nutrition labels. In many countries, only one of the units is displayed; in the US and Canada the unit is spelled out as "calorie" or "Calorie"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy
now thats food (calorie) for thought!
Juliana.Rivers wrote: now thats food (calorie) for thought!

lol
14 posts Page 1 of 1