The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
1 main meal or smaller meals???
26 Nov 2013, 05:48
Hi guys

Im fasting today and finding it easier as I delayed eating until 1pm and then I have a nice dinner planned of egg white omelette, salad and a small amount of sweet potato wedges cooked with no oil! Roll on 7pm :)

I was just wondering if people find they get better results just eating one meal a day... as much as I get hungry in the day I think if i knew it would make more of a difference, health and weight wise I could def wait until I get home from work to eat.

So just wondered what peoples experience was?? im steadily losing about 1pound a week and I know if I was better at weekends I would lose more, however I have just moved to Sydney from the UK and enjoying the Aussie way of (BBQs and beer on the beach) so do not want to give this up just yet... hence why if fasting all day and having one meal would help to lose a little more I would push myself and do this.

Still im not beating myself up about the over indulgence at weekends....what other diet can you eat and drink what you like at weekends, be good for you health and still loose around 1pound a week!! Love fasting

One more quick thing, ive just booked a last min holiday to Thailand to see my friends who I use to work with (oh the fun days of being a squba instructor) and I was wondering if anyone had and quick fix tips to help me lose a few extra pounds!! I have two weeks and will lay off the booze at the weekend which will help a little but any advise welcome!! I will be seeing the ex BF!! ahhhh :)

Thanks in advance fasters x
Hey! Glad you're enjoying it so far! Most people on here save their cals for the evening :)
I'm gonna start switching it up though :)

I'm also in Sydney from the uk. :)
Hi LilSmiler

yeah ive read a lot on here about how most people save the calories for dinner. Im going to try that this week

I think I am going to do tomorrow as a fast to as have meals planned thurs and friday and I know I wont stick to it sat or sunday!

Has anyone done two days in a row? any tips to get me through tomorrow?

Sydney is the best isnt it :)
Hiya welcome, and good luck with 5.2. Just keep it as simple as possible. I think at some stage we can sometimes overthink this very straight forward way of eating. When at work I have a low cal soup at lunch time. It's getting cold here now. But save nearly all my cals till the evening. I then don't have too many carbs, fasting or not.
Don't throw your egg yolks away - that is the good bit! Read up about cholesterol and how we were all conned...
i have a coffee in the morning, a 150 cal snack at about 1pm of a cereal bar/nuts/ryvita with lightest philadelphia, then another snack at 4pm of approx 100 cals fruit - usually berries or grapes, and then dinner at 7.30 of a 250 cal meal - soup, salad, chicken/fish with vegetables with a diet coke and a herbal tea at about 9pm. i have had great results and find this way means i don't even get the slightest bit hungry and always have something to look forward to not too far away. don't think i could manage nothing all day until 7pm.

regarding losing some more quickly - do ADF i.e. every other day - you will shift the pounds quickly and feel great for the bikini! (i often do this)

hope that helps!
I save all of my calories (most of the time!!) for an evening meal. Having a filling dinner at the end of the day is a deeply ingrained habit for me!! Plus if I break the calories up and start eating earlier it sets my appetite into overdrive :doh:
I eat twice a day and maybe a snack if I have enough calories left on a fast day. I also try to leave 16 hours between eating every day. Sometimes I manage it sometimes I don't.

Reducing your carbs might help reduce some water weight temporarily, but no real quick fixes I'm afraid. This is a slow way to lose weight.
Below some data from the questionnaire beginning this year (yes, the paper is really almost finished). You can hopefully read the number of members doing what. In terms of results: longer fasts produce higher weight loss (more on this in the paper) and we do not have any data on two consecutive days, as not many of us are doing that (I did and it worked perfectly well for me (see tracker), combined with three small meals a day)
You missed out liquid fasts as an option. I used to have just the evening meal, but found that any kind of eating just made me really, really hungry. So I switched to just liquids with an allowance of milk for my cups of tea (about 100kcals). The switch to liquid fasts also seemed to knock me off my plateau.

If you are after a short course to knock a couple of extra pounds off then doing 2 fasts back to back could be the way to do it. I found when I did it that on the second day I couldn't keep to the 500kcals, so I fasted till dinner then had about 800kcals. That was on top of the liquid fast the day before. There are people on here that need to do the two fasts back to back because their lifestyle dictates that it happens that way.

But, over fasting has it drawbacks, most of the studies (the few that there are) show that staying too far below your TDEE for extended periods of time is counter productive and slows down weight loss as your body slows down and conserves what calories it can get (starvation mode).
Thanks everyone for all your advice, really helpful

I think going forward I will try to get a nice long fast between meals, so not eat from 9pm the day before the fast until 1/2pm the day of the fast and then split the calories between the lunch and dinner.

I know this diet is a slow process and I love that, every week getting on the scales and consistently loosing is a good feeling. Even if it is 1 pound or less. Diets I tried before you crash loose and then have a bad weekend and it all goes back on. With the 5:2 if you have a bad weekend or few days (within reason) you can still do 2 days of fasting and loose.

I just wish I started earlier so I could be where I wanted for xmas but never mind, ive started now :)

Im attempting a 2nd fast day today as work commitments and meals with friends mean I will not be able to fit in another one until this week otherwise.

I think I will struggle as I slipped a bit yesterday as well due to experimenting with something different for dinner that turned out to be not very satisfying. So ended up snacking on some dark choc!! (my weakness) calories yest just under 600 :(

P-JK thanks for the stats, new to the forum so not sure where to find things like that.

Julieathome I actually already do the liquid thing a lot, drinking tons of green tea, its what keeps me going... working in a office im surrounded by people snacking all day!! Without the tea i wouldn’t make it!

asp999 good plan!!!
Next week just for one week (as it doesnt fit into my life style normally) I will be attempting the ADF so will let you all know if I lose more than normal!

Thanks again for all your support... nice being able to chat about this...im new to my job and not really at the stage where I can chat to my colleagues about diets!! haha

Lou :)
11 posts Page 1 of 1