The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Back problems anyone?
22 Mar 2013, 11:03
I'm wondering how weight loss will affect back problems and think that it can only be good?
My troubles relate to sacroiliac problems but I've had this a long time and it tends to affect everywhere else now as well, ribs, neck and so on. I've tried all sorts of osteo, physio, chiro treatments, do pilates and some Tai Chi, had an MRI but nothing to see. I'm really hoping for some improvement not than I'm massively large. Anyone else? Or just have your own moan here.
Re: Back problems anyone?
22 Mar 2013, 11:14
I was told by chiropractors that losing weight can upset the back for a while as the centre of balance changes. True in my case, as my tummy had got very big, so I was leaning back to counter it.

I'm probably going to try to lose more weight and then get adjusted. I've moved though and finding someone really good is going to be hard.

Pilates is good but it has to be with a good teacher. Have your feet looked at too, I've generally find now if my feet feel tight, my back is bad...and a very good chiropodist told me why, I was trying not to walk on part of my foot, which was stiff. I've since changed my gait, with some assistance from going on a Chi running course. If I have shoulder pain, my hips are out...

It's all a bit of a journey, a back back as really it's the whole kinetic chain so you need to go both up and down the body to see what's really going on...
22 Mar 2013, 11:19
Hiya, I have had lots of sacroiliac joint problems too, ended up in a wheelchair whilst pregnant, then hurt it at work and ended up with two bulging discs. Some days I move like an old lady and like you it seems to have affected everything else, I get a lot of spasms in my neck/shoulders.
I see a chiropractor regularly and she is absolutely brilliant.Shame I can't keep her in my bag!
I am sure less weight on the joints HAS to be helpful :)
22 Mar 2013, 11:33
Unfortunately everyone over 50 has some degree of disc degeneration :-(. As the discs shrink the vertebrae get closer together and can pinch the nerves that emerge from the spinal cord between them causing the symptoms. There are surgical options for severe cases that can work well.

Losing weight will help as will stretching and strengthening exercises. Sadly it seems to be another of the things to "look forward to" in old age. I've no idea if any autophagy goes on in the discs...we can but hope!
22 Mar 2013, 11:55
I forgot to say that yes, losing weight will help. I get told by my occupational therapist sister all the time to lose weight...

I actually think it might help with the lower inflammation, pressure from water retention lowering too that I'm getting as well as actual loss of fat.
22 Mar 2013, 12:38
Ooh me too! Sounds like I have the same issue as you Madel, I've tried physio, acupuncture and cupping but nothing helps. Just been told to strenghthen the core and do stretches, but im a regular excersiser so am already doing this. :cry:
Do you find the chiropractor helpful? Perhaps I need to try this
22 Mar 2013, 13:24
Of recent times I've been suffering from sciatica.

I had a bad 3 month spell before Christmas - I was miserable. When it first went I didn't go to my Pilates class but I've now learned that that was a mistake. Now no matter how bad it is I go to Pilates, even though I can't do all of the exercises I always feel some release. I have also had a series of Alexander Technique Lessons which is invaluable at teaching you to lengthen the spine. The doctor told me to walk lots when I have sciatic which needless to say that caused me a lot of pain. :cry:

Between Pilates, Alexander Technique and walking I have been pain free since the new year. I know my back is vulnerable but I'm hoping I'll be able to keep future back problems at bay.
7 posts Page 1 of 1