- April 2014
+ October 2013
+ August 2013
+ July 2013
3 replies Page 1 of 1
1 out of 52 out of 53 out of 54 out of 55 out of 5

Unheard of before 5:2

by Julieathome on 03 Aug 2013, 14:56

Something I have noticed is that before 5:2 my husband was always complaining that the treats had all gone before he got a look in. Namely a bar of chocolate or a cake, would be bought and his share would be eaten within hours, before he decided he fancied it, 3 days later. In other words he has a normal relationship with food, sugary, treat foods are just that treats.

Now, I have a cupboard of treats, bars of chocolate, mini muffins, biscuits. Talking about biscuits, I used to have to BAN biscuits from the house because I didn't have any control over biscuits. Open the packet and I would eat the whole packet, to myself, dunking them in tea and whoosh, 10 minutes later they were gone 700kcal+. Half the time I didn't remember or realise I was eating them. But now, there are 6 packets of biscuits in the house, I have eaten 4 biscuits in the last week, four individual biscuits, not four packets in the last week.. This would have been unheard of in the past. We have had to stop buying in weekly treats because they are just stacking up.

Somehow, 5:2 has rewired my brain to a more normal setting. Sometimes I look at the treats and think to myself, 'why isn't any of this attracting me. Why can't I just dive in and be a pig?'. I'm not restricting myself in any way, I'm not even thinking of the calories and possible consequences because I know a blow out is always correctable by the next fast, it just is a present fact of life that I don't want any of this stuff.

The treats at the moment include a 5kg bag(yes I did say 5kg) of sugar coated chocolate balls, a deal from 'Approved Food', I put my hand in the bag yesterday, brought out a handful and let all but two trickle back into the bag. Unheard of before 5:2.

I'm in the middle of reading the book 'The Feel Good factor' by Patrick Holford. (I recommend it for anyone suffering from depression or the 'blues') The book points to insulin resistance or lowered insulin sensitivity being a factor in carbohydrate craving, which I have suffered from for as long as I remember. I have always, after every meal, no matter how full I am, needed to have a bit (huh! a bit, who am I trying to kid, a lot) of something sweet to feel as if I have had enough to eat. I still get the craving occasionally, but a couple of grapes sorts it out now instead of the whole fruit bowl or half a cake. I do wonder if my insulin balance is now coming more under control. I really hope so, although none of my blood tests have ever shown any signs of diabetes, its always been a background worry for someone as overweight as I am.

I hope you all find as I have that your sweet tooth diminishes in ferocity. I now enjoy my treats much more, I savour the flavour and appreciate the skill that goes into making them, whilst also finding that mass produced 'stuff' no longer tastes right.

Have a good fast day one and all. :smile:
Last edited by Julieathome on 03 Aug 2013, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Doing the right thing isn't always popular.
Doing the popular thing isn't always right.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, again and again and expecting a different result.

Started 5:2 in February 2013 at 281lb's, 20st 1lb, 127.45kg
3 Comments   Viewed 3805 times

Comments

Re: Unheard of before 5:2
11 Jan 2014, 21:12
Julie, I can hardly believe you have biscuits in the house 4 packets you have not eaten in one go. I have insulin resistence and get the same urge for carbs. My doctor told me this diet would sort put insulin. My inner critic says I won't be a perfect dieter, but you saying that you can muck
up a fast day and do it the next day. But I'm
Worried the weeks will go on and on with me mucking them up.
I wonder how you managed to do the first fast day. Did you have a few false starts? I'm Inspired by your story. I am at the same weight (I think) you were when you started.
Thanks for going the whole way in what you've written it's helpful to me.
Best wishes
Jo
RE: Unheard of before 5:2
11 Jan 2014, 21:16
Just wanted to tag you so you saw my comment @Julieathome

Julieathome wrote: Something I have noticed is that before 5:2 my husband was always complaining that the treats had all gone before he got a look in. Namely a bar of chocolate or a cake, would be bought and his share would be eaten within hours, before he decided he fancied it, 3 days later. In other words he has a normal relationship with food, sugary, treat foods are just that treats.

Now, I have a cupboard of treats, bars of chocolate, mini muffins, biscuits. Talking about biscuits, I used to have to BAN biscuits from the house because I didn't have any control over biscuits. Open the packet and I would eat the whole packet, to myself, dunking them in tea and whoosh, 10 minutes later they were gone 700kcal+. Half the time I didn't remember or realise I was eating them. But now, there are 6 packets of biscuits in the house, I have eaten 4 biscuits in the last week, four individual biscuits, not four packets in the last week.. This would have been unheard of in the past. We have had to stop buying in weekly treats because they are just stacking up.

Somehow, 5:2 has rewired my brain to a more normal setting. Sometimes I look at the treats and think to myself, 'why isn't any of this attracting me. Why can't I just dive in and be a pig?'. I'm not restricting myself in any way, I'm not even thinking of the calories and possible consequences because I know a blow out is always correctable by the next fast, it just is a present fact of life that I don't want any of this stuff.

The treats at the moment include a 5kg bag(yes I did say 5kg) of sugar coated chocolate balls, a deal from 'Approved Food', I put my hand in the bag yesterday, brought out a handful and let all but two trickle back into the bag. Unheard of before 5:2.

I'm in the middle of reading the book 'The Feel Good factor' by Patrick Holford. (I recommend it for anyone suffering from depression or the 'blues') The book points to insulin resistance or lowered insulin sensitivity being a factor in carbohydrate craving, which I have suffered from for as long as I remember. I have always, after every meal, no matter how full I am, needed to have a bit (huh! a bit, who am I trying to kid, a lot) of something sweet to feel as if I have had enough to eat. I still get the craving occasionally, but a couple of grapes sorts it out now instead of the whole fruit bowl or half a cake. I do wonder if my insulin balance is now coming more under control. I really hope so, although none of my blood tests have ever shown any signs of diabetes, its always been a background worry for someone as overweight as I am.

I hope you all find as I have that your sweet tooth diminishes in ferocity. I now enjoy my treats much more, I savour the flavour and appreciate the skill that goes into making them, whilst also finding that mass produced 'stuff' no longer tastes right.

Have a good fast day one and all. :smile:
Re: Unheard of before 5:2
12 Jan 2014, 10:00
I like Patrick Holford Julie. I did a nutrition qualification years ago and he often guest lectured. Not surprised at all what you wrote here and agree with you entirely about rewiring the brain.
3 replies Page 1 of 1

START THE 5:2 DIET WITH HELP FROM FASTDAY

Be healthier. Lose weight. Eat the foods you love, most of the time.

Learn about the 5:2 diet

LEARN ABOUT FASTING
We've got loads of info about intermittent fasting, written in a way which is easy to understand. Whether you're wondering about side effects or why the scales aren't budging, we've got all you need to know.

Your intermittent fasting questions answered ASK QUESTIONS & GET SUPPORT
Come along to the FastDay Forum, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer your fasting questions and offer support. Why not join in one of our regular challenges to help you towards your goal weight?

Use our free 5:2 diet tracker FREE 5:2 DIET PROGRESS TRACKER & BLOG
Tracking your diet progress is great for staying motivated. Chart your measurements and keep tabs on your daily calorie needs. You can even create a free blog to journal your 5:2 experience!