FastDay User Blogs

Journals, thoughts and musings from our community

Archives

- October 2013
+ September 2013

A good beginning!

by arkmead on 28 Sep 2013, 11:35

The human mind is an amazing thing, it has very interesting ways of convincing you and making you believe in mirages. I was always a petite child and a young adult. I ate like a horse and still didn't put any weight. I believed that I was just one of those lucky people who would stay that way all my life. My family genetics seemed to hint at this too as my parents and my sister are very slim. So imagine my feelings for being the odd one out.
After the birth of my son I gained a few pounds and went from size 8 to size 10. A lot of people would say that is hardly an issue as it is a healthy size and I would agree with it too. But I was in a very unhealthy relationship and my ex was very domineering and critical. He kept on criticising my very small weight gain. I was a sleep deprived full time working exhausted new mother who was raising my young son single handedly as conveniently my ex decided to work 400 miles away at this very critical time when I needed his support the most. I could not go to the gyms due to lack of time to shift those pesky few pounds and although I ate fairly healthily if I tried to go on a diet he would either mock my efforts or say that I needed to do more exercise not eat any special foods.
As you can imagine he was not at all supportive, during which time I piled on more pounds and reached 10 stones(1.5 stones more than before). His constant criticism undermined my confidence greatly. I was in this very controlling and destructive relationship for four further years. Then very close to having a nervous breakdown and clearly suffering from depression and anxiety I took the step to leave. The fall out from the divorce was very protracted and traumatic and I continued to balloon.
I tried a few diets previously lost weight and then gained it back as soon as I went back to eating normally. As I am not very tall I carried majority of the weight around my middle and thighs. I was beginning to despair as I was obese probably pre-diabetic and not a very healthy role model for my son. Although he always assured me that I am cuddly(bless him!).
Last weekend browsing through the bookshop I came across the FAST Diet book written by Dr. Moseley and Mimi Spencer. I had heard about the IF diet but did not know much about it. I decided to buy the book so I could find out what this was all about. It was the best impulsive decision and at £2.99 what a bargain. :bugeyes:
I came home and read the book cover to cover on Sunday. It was such an easy read. Although a bit sceptical at first, I was a convert by the end and I decided to start the diet the very next day. I decided to do ADF for a couple of weeks to give the metabolism a good old kick start, before changing to 5:2. I was petrified that I would feel hungry and never last but I am amazed how I feel less hungry even on the non fast days. I have not added exercise as yet but I have ordered a fitbit and intend to start adding some light exercise to my schedule from next week. A day after starting the plan I stumbled upon this amazing site, and although I have never joined a forum before, here I am posting my first ever blog entry. It is a great site with lots of very lovely and supportive people sharing in this joint experience and like a wave carrying each other forward on this amazing journey. :like:
So at the end of this first week I am enjoying this new way of eating and living. I have lost a massive 8 pounds and 2 inches off my belly. My BMI has dropped more than 1 point. :smile: :grin: I will continue with ADF for next week too and update what happens at the end of the next week. Thank you to Moogie and all the other veterans for being such an immense source of knowledge, wisdom and support. :heart:

0 Comments   Viewed 2005 times

START THE 5:2 DIET WITH HELP FROM FASTDAY

Be healthier. Lose weight. Eat the foods you love, most of the time.

Learn about the 5:2 diet

LEARN ABOUT FASTING
We've got loads of info about intermittent fasting, written in a way which is easy to understand. Whether you're wondering about side effects or why the scales aren't budging, we've got all you need to know.

Your intermittent fasting questions answered ASK QUESTIONS & GET SUPPORT
Come along to the FastDay Forum, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer your fasting questions and offer support. Why not join in one of our regular challenges to help you towards your goal weight?

Use our free 5:2 diet tracker FREE 5:2 DIET PROGRESS TRACKER & BLOG
Tracking your diet progress is great for staying motivated. Chart your measurements and keep tabs on your daily calorie needs. You can even create a free blog to journal your 5:2 experience!