Rollercoaster life...
18 Feb 2015, 21:02

+ January 2015
+ December 2014
+ November 2014
2 replies Page 1 of 1

7 fast days in...

by LadanTrying on 25 Nov 2014, 20:15

Yet another rambling blog.. if anyone actually reads this, please accept my apologies for maintaining a 'boring' blog writing style... this feels more like stream of consciousness than anything else. But here goes...

If I make it to the end of this week with no mishaps, this is the longest I've ever made it on 5:2! It's barely long enough to claim real evidentiary success, but so far so good... When I first tried it in early 2014, I made it about 3.5 weeks and to be honest I was not very good at settling into it. I feel like my second time around has been luckier than others.

I've managed to lose 10 lbs so far (4.4 kg), which is very pleasing indeed. Each Friday (when I step on the scales) I keep expecting to see I've either gained a bit or not lost anything.. this is mostly because of feeling a bit out of control on my feed days, though I've noticed this week that my appetite has started to drop on feed days. If that keeps up I'll stop worrying about sabotaging the benefits of the fast days.

One of my work colleagues has been doing 5:2 for two years and apparently (I didn't meet him until after he'd reached his goal weight) he's lost a 'tonne' of weight (his word). It's been great to chat with someone who's been so successful with the process and we both joked about being real 'converts' to the process. I find that most of the time when I speak with people about 5:2 they are often really doubtful about it and they often comment about how hard the fast days must be. Ironically, I tell them, I find the fast days easier than the feed days. I think they find that hard to believe. Ahh well.. it's definitely not for everyone! :)

I lived in the US for a number of years and fell in love with Thanksgiving. I think it's one of the best holidays out there--all about family, friends and food (and football if you're in the US, I suppose!). My son's half American and since moving back to the UK I still do Thanksgiving.. mostly because the food is so tasty and because it's great for him to get to celebrate an important holiday. We always invite a few good friends to come and experience Thanksgiving with us. (The only thing I refuse to make is the green bean casserole... never quite got that.) So.. this Thursday is Thanksgiving. Gulp. That's usually one of my fast days. I'm fasting on Friday now instead. So I'm faced with a wonderful Feed Day of Thanksgiving yumminess but wanting to stay under my TDEE. My plan is to try and eat more of the veg and lean turkey and less of the (yum) gravy and stuffing... I'll probably avoid baking a pie this year (mostly because I think we're all too full to eat it and it'll just prove to be a lot of extra calories). I was also thinking of aiming to make it a 16/8 day... might help control the over-eating as well.

At the end of the day even if I don't lose anything this week it's not the end of the world, I suppose.. I shall soldier on!

2 Comments   Viewed 3628 times

Comments

Re: 7 fast days in...
26 Nov 2014, 12:04
I think the 'soldiering on' thing is the main thing - till I did this it was a concept I never really grasped - I went on 'diets' , lost a bit, invariably fell off the wagon and thought 'I've blown it' and went back to eating as before thus gaining more and more weight. Now I've been doing 5 2 for almost 18months, lost 4.5 stone and a bad day is just that - one day. I get up the day after and 'soldier on'. And it works! So just keep at it :-)
Re: 7 fast days in...
28 Nov 2014, 14:12
loversghost wrote: I think the 'soldiering on' thing is the main thing - till I did this it was a concept I never really grasped - I went on 'diets' , lost a bit, invariably fell off the wagon and thought 'I've blown it' and went back to eating as before thus gaining more and more weight. Now I've been doing 5 2 for almost 18months, lost 4.5 stone and a bad day is just that - one day. I get up the day after and 'soldier on'. And it works! So just keep at it :-)

Very true and really inspiring to see your success! Soldiering on I shall go... the Thanksgiving meal last night wasn't so bad in the end and everyone seemed to love it. I find it much easier to manage calories when I do all the cooking. I probably got in a heftier caloric intake than ideal, but I am confident I still stayed under my TDEE.. I can't give up gravy completely (though I made it extremely healthfully this time around and no on even noticed!), but I didn't even make the stuffing in the end.
2 replies Page 1 of 1

START THE 5:2 DIET WITH HELP FROM FASTDAY

Be healthier. Lose weight. Eat the foods you love, most of the time.

Learn about the 5:2 diet

LEARN ABOUT FASTING
We've got loads of info about intermittent fasting, written in a way which is easy to understand. Whether you're wondering about side effects or why the scales aren't budging, we've got all you need to know.

Your intermittent fasting questions answered ASK QUESTIONS & GET SUPPORT
Come along to the FastDay Forum, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer your fasting questions and offer support. Why not join in one of our regular challenges to help you towards your goal weight?

Use our free 5:2 diet tracker FREE 5:2 DIET PROGRESS TRACKER & BLOG
Tracking your diet progress is great for staying motivated. Chart your measurements and keep tabs on your daily calorie needs. You can even create a free blog to journal your 5:2 experience!