September 3
August 7
July 6
June 10
May 6
April 17
March 4

by Moogie » 17 Oct 2016, 15:58

If you haven't already read the Crossroads topic, please do!
topic15307.html

I was updating The Boss today about the offers we have had for taking over the site. At the end I mentioned that in the worst case, rather than it vanishing completely, I could move it back to my server and let the site sort of run itself there, ticking over as it has been.

I shouldn't have been surprised when he emailed back and said that I'm welcome to have the site back. He really is a very decent chap. I felt guilty suggesting it, given that he bought the site from me, but that's not an issue to him - businesses are a risk.

So, here's the situation...

We have a couple of members who would like to organise some kind of member group to own/run the site.
We have a member who would like to take on the site and help restore it to its former standing - growing it and keeping it fresh and updated with new content.
Of the two options above, the latter seems like the better way to go, as a group can be hard to organise for this sort of thing.

Then, there is the option of the site coming back to me, and just keep ticking over really. I don't have the time or energy to push it to grow at the moment or in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't be around a lot. Things would stay much as they are now, eventually moving the site to my server to keep costs down (current hosting is covered for another 8-9 months I believe).

As I said to The Boss, the decision is less about who takes it on and more about the needs of the community - the heart of FastDay. So, given the choice, which option would you prefer...

The site under new ownership and potential for growth?
Or the site staying as it is, under my ownership, ticking over?

EDIT:
As a couple of folks have expressed concerns over someone else taking the site and what their intentions are, I thought it might be helpful if I summarise a little of what they have said - which I hope they won't mind.

The potential new owners say they have the time and desire to spend on keeping things updated and fresh as well as responding to users quickly. They have experience with IF and nutrition. Naturally the aim would be to get the site making some money eventually. They have website management experience and some ideas for bringing in more traffic. They have also said they have what is needed to "keep this going as you would have liked it."

I'm genuinely touched by the concerns expressed by folks here regarding my health. I'd like to reassure you all that if I do end up holding on to the site myself, I won't allow it to affect my health - hence the letting it tick over as it is until such time as I feel able to work on it some more or when the mood takes me. Part of the problem I think has been with this being a job, with set hours and the pressure that comes from that and juggling it with my main job. Doing it on an as-and-when basis as a hobby and with no pressure to have it make money (I have hosting I pay for anyway for my other sites, so FD shouldn't stretch the finances at all), no obligation to maintain a company image etc would be far less stressful. However, it would mean the site is unlikely to see much growth in the short term. There would still be the option down the line of me passing it on to someone else, or for members of the community to add their own content to the site to help it stay fresh.

The company has said I have 'first dibs' on the site if I'd like it back, but it matters to me what the community wants. If growth and a plan for the future is important to you all at this stage then I can't offer that right now.

START THE 5:2 DIET WITH HELP FROM FASTDAY

Be healthier. Lose weight. Eat the foods you love, most of the time.

Learn about the 5:2 diet

LEARN ABOUT FASTING
We've got loads of info about intermittent fasting, written in a way which is easy to understand. Whether you're wondering about side effects or why the scales aren't budging, we've got all you need to know.

Your intermittent fasting questions answered ASK QUESTIONS & GET SUPPORT
Come along to the FastDay Forum, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer your fasting questions and offer support. Why not join in one of our regular challenges to help you towards your goal weight?

Use our free 5:2 diet tracker FREE 5:2 DIET PROGRESS TRACKER & BLOG
Tracking your diet progress is great for staying motivated. Chart your measurements and keep tabs on your daily calorie needs. You can even create a free blog to journal your 5:2 experience!