The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

27 posts Page 1 of 2
Hints and tips, recipes and ideas from around the world for celebration ideas for Christmas.

It isn't just Christmas Day that is a minefield for dieters, though being fasters I am assuming that most of us won't be fasting Christmas Day? Its the office party, the family get together's, meeting friends and shopping trips with visits to starbucks. For many its 3 weeks non-stop party central.

So your go-to recipes, hints and tips for Christmas. I would love some ideas from all over the globe as some years Traditional just doesn't cut the ice on the 'special' front as well.

Don't forget the tips on low calorie drinking too.
I'm known for making great Christmas cookies. I generally start making them a few weeks in advance and put them in the freezer so I can make nice assortment boxes for people. I think if I simply don't make cookies, there may be a riot and/or I won't know what to do in place of that! Tips appreciated :-)
Surely it is only a problem if you eat them, so if they are gifts and you don't sample too many it should be OK.
I'm hoping that it's going to be really warm in Aus because I don't want to eat as much then!
I am going to try my hardest not to go mad but won't be looking at losing weight.. but if I'm honest I will be annoyed if I do put any on.
I'll try and stick to 2 fasts a week but if I only manage one then so be it.
Booze is the biggest thing for me whilst on holiday so I will try and stick to vodka/gin.
Lil :heart:
Christmas isn't happening this year; hubby will be working over Xmas in a hospital in Northern Victoria and I shall probably go to friends in Melbourne. They aren't big on it either so I don't have to worry about the whole 'celebration' thingy as there won't be any!!

However, I do make very nice Xmas muffins, essentially spiced muffin with a filling of mincemeat (fruit that is for anyone confused!).

We will be going to one of the days of cricket at the MCG (Go Poms!) so not a complete write off! I'll make up for it with food outrages on my birthday!!
Hmmm! The Australian idea has merit. If you can't afford to visit over Christmas (anyone for a house swap holiday by any chance?) turn the heating up to 35C. Too hot to eat, problem solved.

But honestly, what would you normally take to a 'plate' party that you think is delicious but low calorie?
Not sure if I'm understanding properly.. but if I was at a buffet I would hang out near the olives, veggies with dip, fresh seafood etc and avoid the mini pies, pasty's and all that stuff that makes you 'bloatable'.
Yep thats it @LilSmiler But what would you take to the party? Do you have a special dip that tastes fantastic but is reasonably low calorie that people don't realise it is because its so good?

Al;so, what are your traditions, we all love to hear about other countries traditions.

Here is my family tradition.

We eat our Christmas dinner spread over the whole day instead of in one go. We have the starter at early lunch time. The main course is at about 5pm and the pudding is usually after 9pm. We don't have any little ones so can make it that late.
I love and make cold cooked prawns on a skewer with mango pieces alternating. To dip in a aioli (mayo with garlic and lemon) delish and not too heavy.
Supposed to be summer here around Christmas, but today its like mid july, wet soggy and very cold, coldest November in over 20 years. Climbing the walls weather. I've done winter dammit, where is my almost summer? sorry, off track.

I also make a frozen chocolate mousse with brandy soaked christmas dried fruits, its like a ice-cream christmas pudding. Only had hot pudding twice in 48 years, not my thing. I make a mean black forest trifle.
Its teaming down right now. Everything is lovely green and soggy.

I do mainly exciting salads, seafood and cold ham cuts. Of course the man has hot veggies and hot meat with gravy. I have those everyday in the winter and love christmas food for its variety and being different. We eat more chocolate on this day as well as easter time than any other time.
A few low carb canapés in UK''s Olive magazine this month. They look pretty

Cucumber slices topped with hot smoked salmon, tartare sauce and dill
Rocket and manchego wrapped in Iberico ham
Slices of fresh figs topped with Gorgonzola and walnut halves (plus honey if you are not low carb)
Although I'm maintaining well on 16:8 two or three times a week, in the week prior to Christmas I am going to fast a couple of times and cut down on my calories with a view to hopefully losing a couple of pounds beforehand so that I'm "in credit" for Christmas day and Boxing day. Whilst I won't over-indulge hugely (still smarting from last Saturday! lol) I do intend to enjoy a full roast turkey dinner with all the trimmings and a portion of pud and cream afterwards.... I just think it will be nice to have a couple of days away from MFP!
Here goes what has become fairly traditional for us at Christmas down - under

Breakfast is always slices of ham off the bone, freshly picked vine tomato sliced, mango cheeks sliced, finely sliced red onion rings, grind of black pepper sprinkle of capers and a light sprinkle of finely cut chives parsley and basil. It is fresh yummy and leaves you set up well for the day

Lunch I usually take to where we are going my contribution often a very large platter of cold Mediterranean antipasto vegetables which have prepared e.g marinated eggplant, oven dried tomatoes, baked capsicum, pickled mushrooms etc all in a bed of greens and olives. Usually served with various seafoods and baked pork. For dessert I just go ballistic and make something like gooey chocolate fudge cake served with berries raspberries, straws and blueberries and double cream. Wine happens

Dinner usually back home something light. I prefer not to eat too much but I like to have wonderful salads as have a ham and baked pork to slice. Also the summer fruits are in season so lots of stone fruit to be had. I will relax about IF over Christmas time as I think 10 months of 5:2 is a good effort.
I like the idea of the Chicstmas pudding icecream, it won't happen here this year as we have a surplus of puddings in the store cupboard. But one year it WILL happen.
The following aren't recipes, but they are some ideas with dealing with all the food on offer!
:reindeer: I try to eat only treats that people have made, rather than all the pre-prepared goodies, and particularly the extra biscuits that seem to appear, or if manners require me to eat (and yes, I feel they do sometimes, just to have one.
:reindeer: Did I read on the forum, or somewhere else that people at a buffet ate less if they started off with fruit? harder when alcohol has already weakened the resolve!
:reindeer: Decline any invitation to an all-you-can-eat restaurant!
:reindeer: A relative had got into the habit of giving me a huge chocolate treat eg chocolate pizza each year, and so I've emailed and said although I love it, this year please could I have a particular book (trying to make it easy!) instead.
I will continue fasting 2 days a week and the rest of the time I intend to eat as many mince pies as I can get hold of.
27 posts Page 1 of 2