The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Coffee
05 Sep 2013, 06:54
Don't know about you but I can't go without my daily fix of coffee. Is it better to have decaf on a fast day ?(although personally don't like the stuff). I tend to have it black with half a sugar and only one a day - have to have it first thing when I get into work sets me up for the day!
Re: Coffee
05 Sep 2013, 06:58
There is no difference in calories between decaf and regular coffee, if that's what you're asking. New fasters sometimes find they get headaches in the early days of fasting, and switching to decaf could make them worse since you then also have to contend with caffeine withdrawal.
05 Sep 2013, 07:02
Ironic reading your question as my coffee is just brewing! I am on week 8 of 5:2 and particularly on fast days, I have 2 black coffees in the mornings. I dont take sugar but my response to your query would be that it is OK to enjoy your coffee as long as you always count the calories that are in the sugar.
05 Sep 2013, 07:21
As the others said, no need to give up coffee or change to decaf. 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar is only 7 calories so not much.
05 Sep 2013, 07:56
I live on black coffee (no sugar) and have done for years. My morning routine involves brewing the coffee before I feed the cat! I've got a nice drip filter machine with a steel vacuum jug, so the coffee stays hot, which holds about 1.5 litres and I drink my way through all or most of that every morning. I aim to curb my coffee intake by noon, but definitely no later than 2pm, because of my insomnia.

I'm glad I do so as coffee definitely keeps my hunger at bay - most days I skip breakfast and eat at around 2pm. On fast days, the coffee means I can hold off eating until up to 4pm. I make sure I drink plenty of water too, as coffee is a diuretic.
05 Sep 2013, 08:33
I wish my cat would wait that I make coffee first!! Every morning I first feed the cat, then get an espresso made with one of these automatic italian coffee makers. One bag of Splenda for the first espresso. Then I drink two more during the day, no coffee nor sugar. I find I do not need more coffee, but sometime I drink it because I really like the taste.
05 Sep 2013, 09:16
Had to change to decaf as it was messing with my head (not able to sleep if I drink any after 12 noon) and body (diuretic). Still real coffee (il*y) made in a mukka pot, still tastes fab. No milk, no sugar of course. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
05 Sep 2013, 11:10
The only time I have coffee after around 2pm is if I'm eating out and I opt for coffee at the end of a meal. But then it absolutely has to be a decaf.
05 Sep 2013, 11:19
My first cup of coffee in the morning is one of life's simple pleasures.
I take it with a small drop of milk and .5 teaspoon of sugar.
I drink 2-3 cups a day, even on fast days, but never after 2pm.
I wouldn't give it up for anything.
Most days I also don't eat before 12-2 because I genuinely have no appetite untill then. I'm pretty sure the coffee helps with that.
It works foe me and I'm happy with that :smile:
05 Sep 2013, 12:36
I have a coffee now on a Wed morning as I crossfit and it's always long on Wed. So coffee with double cream, coconut oil and a wee bit of sugar.

I'm going with the bulletproof coffee theory...
05 Sep 2013, 13:07
I taught myself to like coffee black - although I do treat myself to a cup with cream once in a while. But if it was on a fast day, I would count the calories. For me, the coffee helps warm me up a bit, since I still seem to be much colder on fast days. Also, like other people have noted, it's part of my morning ritual. I am trying to visualize either my cat or dog making it for me so it was ready when I got up. All I can picture is lots of slobber all over my counters, along with fur.
05 Sep 2013, 16:26
Today we measured temperatures of 29*C and OH was melting. Me? I was fasting and felt just about warm!
16 Sep 2013, 08:39
I tend to have about 4 black coffees on a fast day, as they help supress hunger for me, and also warm me up as I get really cold on those days.

Mind you, I have at least 3 coffees a day normally, so not much different.
13 posts Page 1 of 1