The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

14 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm baffled...
I made aubergine (eggplant) salad for dinner. I had 3 small aubergines from a friend's garden, their weight was 633 grms which according to calorie king it's 152 calories.
I baked them with no oil or water (something between steaming and baking) and I weighed them again. 163 grms, which according to calorie king is 53 calories.
Can you tell why I'm confused??? :bugeyes: :confused: :?:
I don't know if this helps or confuses it more. http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutri ... d/eggplant

I suspect a lot of weight is lost in the cooking, but you would think they would still have similar calories before and after since you didn't add ingredients..
You'd have to conclude that those calorie counting apps are dodgy.
Maybe its the raw weight to go by, but don't know why the difference is so big, probably be someone more helpful along in a minute. Sue
Go with raw, it is only water loss. If you go to myfitnesspal, you can choose raw or cooked but really, calories do not disappear when cooking ;)
OK, in MFP...
633 grams of raw aubergine: 158
163 grams of grilled aubergine: 40,75

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind going with raw, it is still within my calorie limit, but I think that 150 is too many calories for 3 small aubergines. When they were cooked, they were literally 6 bites...
JM53 wrote: I don't know if this helps or confuses it more. http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutri ... d/eggplant

I suspect a lot of weight is lost in the cooking, but you would think they would still have similar calories before and after since you didn't add ingredients..

That is exactly what I'm thinking!!!
I saw something similar about potatoes in a ww mag once, if I remember right potatoes lose water when they are cooked, so say a potato weighs 100g before cooking, the same potato weighs maybe 50g after, so in this example (which I made up) 100g of cooked potatoes would contain twice as many cals as the same weight of raw ones.

Maybe that's what is going on with hhe calorie counter for aubergines??
But in this case it is the opposite. The raw ones contain three times the calories of cooked ones...
Oops, i read that wrong...the mind boggles...

Maybe they soak up water then?!
Is it possible that you used the boiled information instead of baked?
I used the boiled (because I steamed them) on calorie king and the baked on MFP. The difference is huge in both cases.
Whichever you used it obviously worked considering you've lost that last 1 lb :heart: :heart: or maybe you've streesed it away. Lol
Bet you feel a million euros tonight, sweet dreams :clover: Sue
He he, good thinking Sue! :-)

It was a fab day and night yesterday! Lots of fun, alcohol, good food and I looked great!
14 posts Page 1 of 1