The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

22 posts Page 2 of 2
I'm just browsing the frozen veg section of Tesco online now and can't believe just how much is available these days! Now I wish I had a bigger freezer!
Moogie, exactly like me ! There are so many possibilities these days... Autumn and winter can be really boring when we talk about fruits and veg (at the end of the season I usually am fed up with apples and clementines) so it really is a good thing to have so much things to choose from and as somebody who lives with a man who don't lie a lot of vegs if you only cook with fresh ones, you throw quite a lot in the bin or you have to eat the same veg all week long. I don't want to imagine if I had to eat a whole cauli by myself...... :razz:

For the first time this weekend I'll try to make a pumpkin cake (well, not really a pumpkin but there doesn't seem to have a right translation for this one; It looks like a pumkin but smaller and the skin is darker) from scratch. If it's good, it will be on the menu for Christmas :wink:
The only canned veg in my house is tomatoes, I use the little steam veg bags as a back up otherwise it's fresh all the way but frozen peas and sweetcorn only.
I used to buy the steam veg bags but they are awfully expensive, it's way cheaper to steam "normal" vegs myself.
I cannot express in words how excited I am by the range of frozen veg now available! Especially steamable bags of it. I remember seeing a thing on TV where they explained that frozen veg are often more fresh than fresh veg. I shall be filling my freezer this weekend.

Plus, how nice is it to look on the ingredients list of these frozen veg & see just real foods listed, no additives. Fab!
I have a mix of all three in the house - fresh, frozen and tinned - depending on what it is. I eat every vegetable and pulse known to man, other than aubergine - but hubby doesn't, so if I buy a head of broccoli (for instance), I have to eat it a couple days running... so I buy frozen and just use what I want.

Hubby loves tinned marrowfat peas, and I'll confess that my biggest vice in that department is tinned whole baby carrots. I love 'em. Tell no one.

I'm in the mood to write a list so here's what I currently have (bearing in mind I've been shopping today...

Frozen
Sweetcorn
Petit Pois
Broccoli
Edamame
Garden peas
French Green Beans

Tinned(canned)
kidney beans
chickpeas
borlotti beans
butter beans
cannelini beans
BAKED BEANS!!!
sweetcorn
mexicorn
marrowfat peas
carrots

Fresh
carrots
parsnips
butternut squash
harlequin squash
acorn squash
sweetheart cabbage
every colour bell pepper
leeks
onions
red onion
celery
green beans
asparagus
cauliflower

Damn. This is why I fart so much.
I have frozen spinach always, makes a great addition to home made curry, or cooked in the microwave with some spring onion chopped in it. I have frozen mixed peppers, so I can throw a handful in with a casserole,or in an omelette if I'm out of fresh stuff, frozen chilli and garlic always, and I love the Tesco frozen cauli cheese.
22 posts Page 2 of 2