The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

11 posts Page 1 of 1
This is where I let myself down, I get really hung up on over thinking food options and end up over eating as a result.
I know I wont be able to go all day without eating. I will have to munch something but think yogurt and melon should hit the spot. The rest of my calories I am running a blank what to plan.

Simple suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

H x
You could munch an awful lot of carrots and celery sticks for very few calories!
First things first. DON'T over think it. This is a simple way of life not a strict diet with loads of rules. When is your first fast? It's not going to be as difficult as you think, it really isn't. I would say don't munch all day, even if it's very low cal stuff. Once you wake that hunger monster he doesn't go back to sleep. But you will find what works for you. I say just pick a day (maybe tomorrow) and go for it. Try not to eat for as long as poss and just make sure you stick to the 500cals or less. When you feel you need something , have a glass of water and give it 20mins, the feeling will pass. I failed my first fastday because I had a small breakfast, a small lunch and then I was so hungry I just carried on eating. Anyway I did a fast the next day instead. On my second attempt at fasting I held out until my evening meal and didn't really feel that hungry all day. Give it a go, which ever way you think will be best for you and if it's not right you can change it on your next fastday. I have Monday and Friday as my fastdays and stick to them. If I had random days it would be far to easy for me to say 'I'll fast tomorrow instead'. It's easier for planing too, if you only have an evening meal. Only one meal to think about and you can make a good meal out of 500cals.
For my evening meals I have been having a salad with a chicken breast and homemade dressing (favorite meal). Other things I have are prawn and veg curry with cauliflower rice or stew. You could have anything really, just don't go over 500cals and load up on veg. Good luck :clover: :clover:
Dee :)
My first fasting day I dove straight into only having one evening meal of 400kcals, the other 100kcals was for the milk in my cups of tea through the day. I to am an advocate of the 'once you eat, you feel hungry all day' approach, so much so that I have converted to liquid water and teas fasts now, the hunger is actually less.

For your first fast day, take it easy on yourself, go as long as you can without eating, when you feel hungry have a glass of water and distract yourself with work or a walk. When you do have a meal keep it simple. A plain grilled chicken breast and salad are good to get started on, simple to prepare, simple to cook and hardly any fussing with scales etc. As you become more accustomed to the fasts you can then experiment with other meals and foods. Keep the carbohydrates out of your meal, they provide energy which you don't need, you have fat stores for energy that your body should be using.

Its your body and your lifestyle though, only you can work out whats best for you. The rest of us can only advise and give examples.

But, there is one thing to remember, going hungry for one day is NOT going to kill you (unless you have a major medical condition of course).
I agree with Justdee. When I first started, in August, I breakfasted lightly mid-morning but found it hard to cope with hunger after triggering my appetite. Now I live on black coffee (which I do anyway) and water all morning and well into the afternoon. If I'm hungry by 3-4pm and really *must* eat, I nibble very slowly on a mini Babybel (61 cals). I can make it last 20 minutes and even that tiny amount of protein is filling. I'll eat a main meal mid-evening - around 250-350 cals - and then I still have calories spare if I want a snack before bedtime.

If you really need to eat during the daytime, crudités will keep you feeling full for only a few calories - carrot, cucumber, celery sticks...

I try to avoid carbs too - In my first month I'd nibble on a plain rice cake but now I've pretty much cut them out and my weight loss has been much steadier and progressive since then. I sometimes have complex carbs in my main meal though - some pulses of some sort, like cannelini beans, usually.
Stick to protein and veg. Avoid sugar and very sweet fruit.
On my first few fasts I would go as far through my day drinking water and waiting 20 mins (to allow the hunger to go away as it comes in waves). When I found that I had gone as far as possible - usually around 3-4pm (1500-1600hours) I would have a small snack of 100-150 cals of hummous and vege sticks (I would weigh everything to make sure I stayed within 100-150 cals). I would then have 350-400 cals for dinner.

Eventually I was able to go from dinner to dinner with no snacks in between. During winter I would sometimes need a hot cup of stock to keep me warm but that is around 20 cals so there was still plenty of room for my dinner.

Like anything fasting becomes easier the more you practice. Be patient with yourself and you will get there.
This is all really helpful - thank you.
I seem to be the same as the others above. My first day I split my cals into 3 small meals and ended up gorging myself in the evening and feeling frustrated. I tried again and just had herbal teas and water throughout the day and then a decent meal in the evening. One of my faves is chicken breast cooked in salsa (wrap the breast in tin foil with the salsa inside the foil) with roasted veg seasoned with herbs and chilli :)

Not sure if you're in the UK but if I get peckish in the day, I'll have a Hartley's sugar free jelly pot - the strawberry ones only have 6 cals.

One of the most important things is water - it will be your best friend!
I feel as though I keep advertising for M&S, but I just think their food is super delicious. They have a "FullerLonger" range which has all the right balance of protein and carbs etc. and the good thing is they taste so much better than a lot of ready meals.

I try to avoid ready meals ordinarily but for fast days I find them easy because I just put them in the oven and then I keep out of the kitchen as much as I can! Occasionally, if I have enough calories left, I'll treat myself to a little mousse or something. Recently I tried an M&S Count on Us Butterscotch mousse. It was "ok" but I was hoping it would taste like Angel Delight. It let me down!

Anyway, good luck with your fast days

Bean :-)
Thank you all so much for the advice and suggestions. (apart from the one very unhelpful one)

I have been running the risk of over thinking things, so I am working on this.

My fast days will be Monday and Wednesday or Thursday, this will vary depending on the week.

I anticipate that the crudities will be essential, black coffee too!

Wish me luck, all the body measurments will be done tomorrow evening ready for a motivated start on Monday.

Thank again,
H :geek:
11 posts Page 1 of 1