The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

7 posts Page 1 of 1
My husband was so impressed with the results of cooking with a halogen oven when he stayed with a friend recently he bought me one as a birthday present! It was the first time I had seen one and the instruction manual is rather basic. I don't have any containers that fit inside the oven.

What is the best way to cook vegetables such as carrots, brussel sprouts, cauliflower - just plain food?

I just want to cook chicken breast with some vegetables for my first attempt!

We are on a tight budget so I want to cook 'one pot' meals wherever possible.
Thank you Izzy - I have taken your advice and looked at quite a few websites today about halogen ovens and cooking methods. I also bought a few various sized aluminium trays and tin foil. So far I have cooked brussel sprouts and carrots and also baked potato and now I am defrosting a chicken breast.

Even a simple technique like defrosting isn't explained very clearly eg Do I use the tall tray or the short tray? I don't have a steamer or a baking tray, just the two metal trays to stand food on.

Many comments on the websites indicate that it is a bit 'hit and miss' at first and as I haven't used a conventional oven for nearly 5 years I feel I am starting from scratch.

Chicken is the only meat we eat as I have an allergic reaction to the smell of pork, beef or lamb. Must say that looking at the cake and dessert recipes I feel very hungry!
I have a small Kenwood Halogen oven which is ideal for the two of us. I just use it as a normal oven, but saving on electric costs.
What Izzy says...

I do defrost. It's great for anything needing crisping or cooking hot or dry, eg chips, roast fatties, chicken thighs. Sausages, fish, pretty much anything except baking big loaves. Better for flatter stuff. Turn chicken for instance. You can't go wrong so long as you check things are cooked through.
My friend made some fab looking yorkshire puds in here's not diet food though I know. I have just ordered ne so not actually tried myself yet! if you are on a tight budget as you say and your pots etc wont fit - try having a look around some local charity shops - lots of folks get rid of old casserole dishes/baking tins etc when they get new. worth a look but take your tape measure with you
I still eat Yorkshire Pudding, works well.
That shocks me I thought it would be very fattening! Oh goody! :lol:
7 posts Page 1 of 1