The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Homemade soup
10 Oct 2013, 15:30
Today is a fast day for me and so far only had 1 cup of tea and lots of water. With all of 600 calories still intact I'm kind of stuck on what I fancy for tea.

There is big pan of homemade lentil soup down stairs that my mother in law made but I have no idea how many calories are in it. It's made with carrots, red lentils and has a few chunks of Potatoe in it that you can take out if you want. It is flavoured with a slice of bacon but this is removed at the end of cooking.

Would anybody like to make a rough guestimate on how many calories would be in a large bowl?

Thanks
Re: Homemade soup
10 Oct 2013, 15:49
I doubt very much if it would be over 300kcals. Depending on how much fat the veg was fried in could make it higher or lower. My calculations were based on a heavy in potato and fat dish.
Even pre made soups are coming out at 180kcals for a cup full. So a large bowl won't damage your fast in any way.
10 Oct 2013, 15:57
Funny, I'm having a home made veg & lentil soup tonight, the portion of which (a large foil takeaway style tray of it) is 300kcal in total. It would have been 240kcal but I added some chopped smoked sausage to each portion to the tune of an extra 60cals. I never fry the veg in fat but just boil it down with some stock then add a bit of milk & butter for creaminess/richness.

I'm sure yours won't be more than 300kcal at the very most for a large bowlful.

Thanks also for the fab idea of flavouring with a slice of bacon, never thought of doing that and removing it! Will try it next time :)
10 Oct 2013, 16:03
Hi well it sounds very nice to me and I would go with the soup deffo.
Like Julie says it probably comes in way under your
fastday allowance
So basically enjoy your ready meal prepared for you :clover: Sue
10 Oct 2013, 18:24
Thanks folks the soup was great.

Just roll the bacon up and tie with string, easy to lift out when cooked.
10 Oct 2013, 18:28
Ooh, if you like lentil soup, this is GAWJUS - and my staple lunch most days!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2089 ... entil-soup

I omit the oil and actually do 70g red lentils and 70g green (so it needs to be simmered for longer) - but the cumin really adds a depth and heat to it..... perfick for these chilli (pardon the pun!) days....
11 Oct 2013, 19:29
I :heart: :heart: :heart: homemade soup - I find it just perfect for fasting days, ticks all the boxes for me anyway! Spicy carrot and lentil looks yummy - have just printed it off and that'll sort me out for one day next week - thank you .... and the bacon parcel sounds interesting too :like: I could almost convince myself that I like this time of year - but maybe I won't go quite that far :smile:
7 posts Page 1 of 1