The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

39 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: How to use a slow cooker
26 Oct 2013, 04:25
I especially love it for bean soups. I love the Food Network here in the US.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/deleg ... hType=site

I always read the comments though. Some people give it 5 stars then comment how they changed the whole recipe. But you do get good info. If all say it's too salty, it probably is. Too spicy? That's different. I like spicy. I've been able to remake recipes to ones I love by starting with the highly rated recipe and modifying it based on the comments and my preferences.

The Navy Bean soup recipe on the link is good as is.
26 Oct 2013, 04:28
Sorry about the double post.

Another great use is if you like polenta or steel cut oats. You can make them in the slow cooker. Google it.
26 Oct 2013, 07:19
Have had mine years, a big family one and a little two person one. I did a big beef stew when family visited recently, throwing in cubed beef, diced potatoes, carrots, onions, stock, herbs de provence, and a good slug of red wine. Loaded it up about 9am and we had a lovely meal at 7pm. The biggest piece of meat I would use is boneless chicken thighs. If it looks too thin I add puy lentils. For me slow cooking is about convenience, for busy days when I will not be around to light the Esse. The ingredients are decided by what I have in the pantry! If I have a cooking day when the Esse is hot I will load up a casserole dish in the same way and put it in the lower oven. Butternut squash works well too as it stays firm. Ummm think a casserole today as I have cakes to make for an event tomorrow!
26 Oct 2013, 09:20
Today's lunch is slowly cooking
I prepared it last night, put the pot in the fridge and put the heat on at 7:00AM this morning
a layer of onions
carrots sliced
potatoes, sliced
250ml chicken broth (half what I would usually used)
the whole chicken legs with salt and pepper and paprika. I left the skin on this time but I am afraid it was not a good thing, we'll see. Everything should be ready for 1:00PM :nailbiting:

I saw we can cook fresh bread and pudding or cakes in it, what do you think ?
26 Oct 2013, 09:41
Haven't tried bread or cakes but find the slow cooker is excellent for delicate sweets like egg custards or crème caramel that require gentle heat or a bain marie. Also great for dried fruit.
26 Oct 2013, 09:47
Do you put the egg custard in a dish?

I use mine for steamed puds.
26 Oct 2013, 09:51
BBT053 wrote: Do you put the egg custard in a dish?

I use mine for steamed puds.

Yes, I put the egg custard in a dish and cover it with foil and pour boiling water to come half way up the dish and cook on low for around 4 hours until the custard is set. :wink:
26 Oct 2013, 10:06
Oooh I love my slow cooker! I'm going to do a fish stew in it next week. They really are a kitchen staple!
26 Oct 2013, 11:03
I love mine. Just bung whatever's in the veg tray in with meat wine / stock and hope for the best. No disasters so far. Cheats pulled pork - delish. Best thing is coming home to the glorious smell of stew and knowing you can just dish up. Mmm
26 Oct 2013, 11:29
So here's the verdict of my first use ever of a slow cooker

It was on low but I find it quite hot, does anybody knows what is the temperature for low and high ?

The meat was falling from the bone but was not overcooked or dry. However, I won't let the skin on next time, it was really "soggy".

250ml chicken broth was too much, next time I'll put half of that.However, it is full of flavor so will go well in a carrot soup

I made a kind of a mash with the onions/potatoes/carrots but that's how I like eating that mix of vegs, they were perfectly cooked.Just one thing, I had to put more salt and pepper but it's because, as the chicken broth is a bit salty already, I didn't want to put too much. It's easier to put more than to take off.

Another question, how long do you cook just vegetables (for the soup) ?
26 Oct 2013, 13:15
For timings I would say that anything under 4 hours is too short, 4 hours is borderline but anything over 6 hours will be fine. I use mine to pot roast beef. I use the cheapest cuts of meat (applies to other meats as well). I mix about half a cup of stock with a half cup of red wine and put that in the bottom of the pot, I then layer some chunky onion slices or even quarters in the stock with whatever herbs I fancy. Then put the roasting joint on that. By the time its finished cooking you will have loads of stock for amazing gravies. Anything that will be better for a long slow cook goes in mine, tomato based pasta sauces are fantastic, soups, stews and casseroles.

It really is a gadget for just throwing food in with a bit of liquid (usually half or less liquid as normal) and leaving to its own devices.
26 Oct 2013, 13:52
imcountingufoz wrote: Oooh I love my slow cooker! I'm going to do a fish stew in it next week. They really are a kitchen staple!

Please, what sort of fish do you find is good in a slo-pot?
26 Oct 2013, 19:40
Just finished my second slow cooker meal of the day, a carrots soup. Damned this is good ! Put some orange juice and milk in it and it’s just wonderful. And my kitchen is clean, which is a big plus !
26 Oct 2013, 19:52
Looks like this is the start of a life long love affair with your slow cooker Manderley! :heart: There'll be no stopping you now! :razz:
26 Oct 2013, 19:59
TeaM it with a halogen oven & life is much simpler.
39 posts Page 2 of 3