The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Microwave tips
11 Nov 2014, 18:07
I just learned how to do poached eggs in the microwave, which I didn't realise you could do and it was so easy and delicious (my dinner was a toast with half an avocado, smashed, and a poached egg, but that's another story :grin: )

For those interested, here's how I did it
Put 4 tablespoons (4x15ml) of water in a small bowl that goes in the microwave with a pinch of cooking salt (what we call here "gros sel")
Add one whole egg (without the shell, of course)
Put in the microwave, 1 min for 800w
Take the water off
And voilà ! Really surprising when I think that cooking eggs was the last thing to do in a microwave when I first learned how to use it....

I also do scrambled eggs, by the way (whisk 2 eggs in a mug, cook 45 sec, whisk again, add cheese if needed and put back for 45 sec to 1 min

That gave me the idea to start a topic and ask you if you had some microwave tips. So, if you do have some, please share, I would be much grateful :wink:
Re: Microwave tips
11 Nov 2014, 20:47
That sounds good @Manderley - is it cold water you put the egg in?

I will try this as I am useless at poaching eggs the conventional way!
11 Nov 2014, 21:38
Just plain cold water. I was really surprised it worked so well. Making traditional poached eggs can be a pain so it's a relief to have this way to do it
11 Nov 2014, 23:11
@Madcatlady I use boiling water and if you don't prick the egg yolk it may well explode.
12 Nov 2014, 06:48
@Merlin I can assure you that it works with cold water and, even without pricking the egg yolk, it doesn't explode but if it feels safer for you, go for it :wink:

In this video, it explains why the yolk doesn't explode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWuzNlrlUw
5 posts Page 1 of 1