The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

5 posts Page 1 of 1
popcorn popping problem!
05 Feb 2014, 09:13
Try say that 10 times! lol,

Any who, I'm having a problem in two ways with home made popcorn, 1. How many calories does popped popcorn have and 2. How can I get rid of the 1/3 of old maids I get with each batch?!

Question 1 because I can't find a solid answer, it's either cals for the kernels or for popcorn with flavoring etc on them!

Question 2 because I'm just getting fed up eating a handful and crunching down on an un-popped kernel or partially popped one!

Anyone able to help save my teeth and cal intake!!
Re: popcorn popping problem!
05 Feb 2014, 09:23
Calorie King has homemade popcorn popped in oil at 33 cal per cup
05 Feb 2014, 13:16
I pop corn in the microwave.
Here are instructions. Note the need for venting!:
http://www.theyummylife.com/homemade_microwave_popcorn

You can calculate the calories for the kernels and the butter, if any, that you add. I suppose you'd have to adjust for the old maids (LOL!, haven't heard them called that, but I guess you mean the unpopped ones) - if it looks like 10% didn't pop, deduct 10% from the calories for kernels.

To avoid cracking your teeth: don't overfill the bowl - do the microwaving in batches and give it a good shake part way through. Then give it a good shake before eating and scoop out the popcorn with your hands to the serving bowl, and shake again. That should leave the old maids at the bottom. I'd put the first set of old maids in the microwave for another go, but that depends on your personal balance between hate waste/hate any burnt taste. Note also the tip in the microwave instructions that fresher corn will pop better than a stale packet - I don't know if that is true, but it sounds plausible.
05 Feb 2014, 13:21
I guess if you want to be totally OCD, you can separate out the old maids and then weigh just what you eat
05 Feb 2014, 14:00
The unpopped, half popped, semi burnt ones are the best.
5 posts Page 1 of 1