The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

16 posts Page 1 of 2
SAY CHEESE PLEASE!! ;)
10 Mar 2014, 21:02
Hello, Bean here! I am in need of some of your wonderful ideas. As you may or may not know one of my favourite meals is cauliflower or macaroni cheese! Mmm just the thought of it :grin: Huh hum! Anyway...in order to make a healthy version of this gorgeous food it is vital that a good strong cheese is used, so that you don't need to use so much and send your calorie total soaring.

So, in short, can you guys recommend a super strong cheese?

Merci beaucoup!

Bean :starving: :heart:
Re: SAY CHEESE PLEASE!! ;)
10 Mar 2014, 21:11
Could you use a low fat mild cheese with a sprinkling of parmasan for flavour? Or else load up on herbs and spices?

Im lovin the Hungry Girl site for low cal alternatives to fav dishes. Here is what a search for macaroni turned up http://www.hungry-girl.com/search?keyword=macaroni

come back to me with your sucessful recepie! :grin:
10 Mar 2014, 21:12
Bean, I don't know about the cheese. I use cheddar. Perhaps experiments with spices or the addition of a bit of bacon, salsa swirls thru etc
10 Mar 2014, 22:10
When I was young money was a bit tight and my mum was always looking for cheap ways to add flavour to food. She always put marmite in cheese sauce - means you need to add much less cheese. I still always put marmite in cheese sauce as do my 2 sisters and my 3 children!
Another one of her ploys was to add sugar and vinegar to stews to mimic the flavour of tomatoes! ( tinned tomatoes were not so readily available or cheap then)
10 Mar 2014, 22:11
I put mustard in my cheese sauce so long as my husband isn't having any! I also use a mature cheddar.
10 Mar 2014, 22:40
A vintage cheddar, with maybe a bit of grated Parmesan too, should do the trick.
10 Mar 2014, 22:47
Or you could try @PennyForthem's trick, and add some horseradish :victory: :cool:
11 Mar 2014, 00:37
I use stilton for a cheese sauce on things like leeks and broccoli. For mac and cheese, though, I think it has to be a strong cheddar.
11 Mar 2014, 00:47
And there I was thinking it was a plea for photos!! I add mustard, parmesan and a stinky blue cheese depending on how I feel. I am making one next week for his nibs!
11 Mar 2014, 08:31
Hmm, yes I wondered if blue cheese would work. Must give a totally different flavour mustn't it?

Bean :confused:
11 Mar 2014, 08:52
Like a lot of others I put some mustard in mine and I also use a strong Cheshire, oh this makes me want some, Beanie Bobs you will be blamed if I make a ton of this today AND eat THE LOT! :shock:

Ballerina x :heart:
11 Mar 2014, 08:55
But won't you just ENJOY it? :smile:

Bean :heart:
11 Mar 2014, 08:57
I have switched to the 50% less fat cheese and gone up one strength as in where I was buying mild I now buy mature. I now prefere it to normal cheese.
11 Mar 2014, 08:58
nursebean wrote: But won't you just ENJOY it? :smile:

Bean :heart:

Beanie Bobs,......THAT WAS NOT THE POINT :shock: :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
11 Mar 2014, 09:30
Oh, don't you just find it so comforting, though, with lashings of cheesey sauce!
Here's what I do;
Lightly fry onions, Gallic, mushrooms, red pepper and courgette. Par boil your cauliflower.
make cheese sauce, using cheese of your choice. I add herbs, my own garlicy mustard and a touch of paprika. Smother the veg with the cheesey gawjuness and pop under the grill.

I always weigh the cheese first, too, as grating it straight in from the block would lead to far more cheese going in than I anticipated!!
16 posts Page 1 of 2