The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I have got quite enthusiastic about sprouting as you can see here and keep finding new things to sprout. Latest is blue peas. Ive sprouted Mung beans, blue peas, chickpeas, alfalfa, black urad dal, fenugreek seeds and anything that sprouts. Buy most of the materials in bulk from Indian grocery stores so its ultra cheap too.

mungbeansprouts.jpg
sprouts

I think sprouting and 5:2 go hand in hand cause they are low cal, really good for you and a far cry from those ones you get in plastic bags in the grocery store called "bean sprouts" I didnt know they get like that from chemicals and gases in huge vats..

I'm hunting for sprouting ideas (as in what to sprout) and ways to prepare them. Been doing this kewl salad with red onion, olive oil, grapes, mint, lemon juice (can omit grapes if fast day) http://simplyreem.com/mung-sprout-salad/

and yesterday it was http://www.veganricha.com/2013/09/mung- ... -kale.html which was really nice

this one looks good too
http://foodandspice.blogspot.com.au/201 ... beans.html

this is a great link about mung bean sprouts which is the one i started with

http://chefinyou.com/2010/06/sprouting-mung-beans/

how do you guys sprout.. do you soak them? sometimes i do sometimes i dont. i found with the green mung beans i'm getting say 2% not sprouting and they end up like stones in your mouth so i'm figuring out how to avoid that.

If your thinking about sprouting its better with one of those kits that have a water hole in it and possibly multi layers

never had luck with alfalfa seeds - .. i'm sure the ones in the shops are done chemically.

Another benefit of sprouting is that my quail love them. they are like "crack" and am always going out with a fistful to greet the excited birds. Good for them as much as for humans i hear.
Do I sprout? unfortunately no, unless you count the hairs on my chin! :oops: :bugeyes: Thank goodness for tweezers :wink: !
What a great post! I have sprouted in the past but not for ages. I'm going to get our my sprouting equipment immediately and start off some sprouts!
I tried sprouting once and it didn't work but I love sprouts so I think it's time to try again. Where did you get your sprouting equipment from Julianna?
This is really timely! I have sprouted in the past, during my student veggie days in the 1980s :shock: Then recently I rediscovered how great they are in salads, but then the supermarket suddenly stopped stocking them.
But @juliana.rivers thanks - you've inspired me to go get another sprouting kit and grow my own. I agree about alfalfa - I remember they were hard to grow but then they are my least favourite anyway.
I think you can buy those kits at good health food/ veggie shops. In Brighton we have Infinity Foods for example.
Let's get sprouting!! :grin:
Wineoclock wrote: I tried sprouting once and it didn't work but I love sprouts so I think it's time to try again. Where did you get your sprouting equipment from Julianna?

The large one in the picture we have had here for like 30 years so not sure where it originated from. Was in storage for past 20 years.
The multilayered one was from Aldi for about $25 a few months ago. Ill alert everyone if they return them to the weekly specials aisle.

Glad if resurrected the interest in sprouting for some people.

The nutritional benefits of sprouting (and cost saving) is a great reason to start again, or try it for the first time
Sallyo wrote: What a great post! I have sprouted in the past but not for ages. I'm going to get our my sprouting equipment immediately and start off some sprouts!

Hi @Sallyo, did you get a chance to sprout this week. I must have produced a good 2 kilos this week. Birds (my quail) , me and OH are happy this week.
lizzieh wrote: This is really timely! I have sprouted in the past, during my student veggie days in the 1980s :shock: Then recently I rediscovered how great they are in salads, but then the supermarket suddenly stopped stocking them.
But @juliana.rivers thanks - you've inspired me to go get another sprouting kit and grow my own. I agree about alfalfa - I remember they were hard to grow but then they are my least favourite anyway.
I think you can buy those kits at good health food/ veggie shops. In Brighton we have Infinity Foods for example.
Let's get sprouting!! :grin:

Im hoping Aldi do the kits again soon. Or i might look in the health food store for one. didnt think of that., thanks. i want to do a bit more for the birds. The sprouts come back as eggs then. lol
8 posts Page 1 of 1