The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

25 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Ko Lee Low fat noodles
03 Apr 2013, 22:13
What is it with the way instant noodles display their cals? It confuses people. I've noticed it comes up on diet sites now and then. I kind of think the manufacturers don't make it clearer because 9 times out of 10 a person who checks calories will look at their noodles and think of 100 other things they would rather spend their calories on!

The trick when confused over these kinds of things is to add up the macro nutrients. If it's dry then then the per 100g NV's should add up to close to 100g (dry things arn't always as dry as you think though, dry pasta can be about 12% water).

Cooked noodles will have about 60-70g of unnacounted weight.
10 Apr 2013, 17:54
sparklevergreen wrote: :cry: oh my god, i am such an idiot, i have been using noodles every fast, and have now realised i have been counting the calories wrong, which means i have been way over my 500cals each fast. i could cry.....Thanks for bringing it to my attention

I had exactly the same issue when trying to work out which (non-diet) rice I wanted to buy a few months back. Don't worry too much, you might not have been an "idiot" at all!

The packets I was looking at had several kinds (basmati, pilau, long grain and wholemeal) and they all showed "nutritional information" per 100g. However, only one packet said words to the effect of "x calories dry, and y calories if cooked as per instructions on packet". The instructions include draining and then rinsing the rice after cooking. None of the others even provided an idea of how much 100g of dry rice would weigh once cooked, to give you a chance of calculating it out one way or the other.

I would avoid rice, noodles or anything else with a lot of processed carbs in it on a fast day anyway, and I am naturally deeply suspicious of "plastic" food that imitates "real" food. It cannot be healthy! :bugeyes:

Most of feeling sated is down to filling the stomach, so try adding more veg instead. Even potatoes would be better - 79 cals in a 100g baked potato, which takes about 6 mins in my microwave and has more natural carbs.

Good luck! :heart:
10 Apr 2013, 18:42
Thanks for reply, i picked myself dusted myself down and started again,ive just got to get on with it as im here for the long haul i am now a big fan of zero noodles have them with veg stirfry (very filling)
05 Jun 2013, 10:01
Well folks, I finally nagged Ko Lee enough and got a reply from them about the Low Fat Noodles. Another user had emailed me recently to say she had called them and they confirmed the calorie information was correct... well, it seems that Ko Lee got it wrong.

They have kindly sent me the amended nutrition information label, as below. So, looks like these aren't the alternative to zero noodles we were hoping for :(

Sorry, for the delay in replying as the labels were being amended due to current labelling regulations.

Please find the updated version of the label for calorie content.

koleenoodles.png
Ko Lee Low Fat Noodles Nutrition Information

05 Jun 2013, 10:14
Sparklevergreen, I'm giving you a big cyber hug. Not to worry. How could you know?
05 Jun 2013, 10:15
Even at a couple hundred calories over, it's still a low calorie day compared with normal - and I'm guessing you were still losing weight, right sparkle? :) Think how much more you can lose now you know not to use these noodles!
05 Jun 2013, 10:32
this might have actually nudged them to get their labeling correct - well done for persuing!
Maybe we could work our way through all maufacturers!!! LOL! ;)
05 Jun 2013, 11:03
Fantastic thanks Moogie. Luckily I had doubted their labels from the outset so have left the noodles in their box. I will now feed them to the dog/chooks/pig!
05 Jun 2013, 11:20
Well, gram for gram there's still less in them than a serving of amoy straight to wok noodles, so if you used half a pack with a load of stir fry veg it would be about a 70 cal saving :)
25 posts Page 2 of 2