The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Miso Soup
14 Mar 2013, 15:20
Not a recipe, but where do you get miso soup from? I've looked everywhere in morrisons but can't find it!

Thanks

Emma
Re: Miso Soup
14 Mar 2013, 15:24
I bought mine in Tesco. It's made by Wakame and comes in a small red/grey packet which holds 5 sachets. I found it in the Chinese/ Oriental section.
14 Mar 2013, 15:37
You can also get miso paste from Sainsbury's, it comes in a screwtop jar.
14 Mar 2013, 17:38
Or if you have a Chinese supermarket close by they should have a wider selection in the Japanese section (if they have one) :grin:
14 Mar 2013, 17:48
Also in Asda
18 Mar 2013, 12:19
I find some of the supermarket versions a bit bland. My favorite for dry sachets is this: http://japancentre.com/items/kikkoman-i ... houren-sou

Lots of others in that range too. Much more hearty and interesting.

But if you're having a fair amount of it, much nicer to make it from proper miso paste which you can get from the Japan Centre or most health food shops. Also Waitrose sells one by clearspring which is good: http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductVie ... +rice+miso
18 Mar 2013, 12:29
Does anyone know where to get the soup of paste in France? I don't think I've ever seen it.
18 Mar 2013, 12:30
We are fortunate enough to have a Japanese stall at our local market and a Japanese shop attached to a local Japanese restaurant. They sell it in sachets one containing the paste and the other containing dried seweed, tofu, vegetables, etc. Oishi!
18 Mar 2013, 12:33
A great place for hard-to-find ingredients is souschef.com. They have miso paste, dashi and a variety of seaweeds etc. I often have a huge bowl of homemade miso as my main meal on fast days. I use lots of tofu, mushrooms and seaweed and it's amazingly low calorie.
13 Jun 2013, 19:34
I have turned into a Miso stalker! I have actually been buying different varieties from different stores and have been making notes on cost, flavour and calorie content.

I have had Miso soup at lunch on fast days, I love :heart: the taste and find it is filling and satisfying. I even look at the sachets in my desk drawer on feed days and think ' I can't wait until fast day so I can have Miso for lunch'. :bugeyes:

I do find I have a slightly strange approach to fast days :oops:
14 Jun 2013, 14:18
My version of Miso soup on fast days. https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9810_n.jpg
use 3 x sachets of miso soup paste from local supermarket - 3 for 2 people (I buy it from Asian section in WW in Australia)
and add it to base which is just pork or beef (lean) sauteed with onion and garlic. then add any veges you have plus tofu and some beef stock and precooked low cal noodles (i use Japanese sobu or spinach noodles) Im lucky to be able to add fresh quail eggs cause i have quails but you can substitute boiled chicken eggs for extra goodness. It takes all of 15 minutes to prepare from start to finish.

not 100% sure of calories in a serve. ive evolved this recipe over the last few weeks. Im starting to like 5:2 cause i find low cal meals quicker to prepare.
26 Jun 2013, 16:20
I would find all sorts of miso in a healthfood shop.
26 Jun 2013, 16:22
I got some in Holland & Barrett
12 Jul 2013, 05:33
New to making miso at home, but it seems to me like miso made from miso paste taste better. I bought in a plastic bac, you cut the corner ot the bag and presses it out like from a tube into boiling water. If you close the bag it lasts for a long time as I understood it.

It was really delicious with some algae, dulse, and I'll look for some dried fish, bonito flakes.
12 Jul 2013, 05:44
I've been making broth with Doenjang which is the Korean version of miso paste. A bit chunkier than miso since you can see bits of beans in it.

Already had some in the fridge (for making bibimbap ... but that's could be a thread of its own) so I was researching whether you can make a soup similar to miso with it. Yes you can and also found in Korea there is a term "Doenjang girl" for a woman who eats Doenjang broth (usually with vegetables and tofu in the broth) at home so she can afford expensive coffees when out. I thought that was a bit like 5:2 as I was sipping my broth yesterday ... sticking to broth for dinner on 2 days so that I save calories for tasty treats on the other 5!
19 posts Page 1 of 2