The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Tip: Matcha green tea
19 Mar 2013, 13:11
I've been fasting for a few weeks now and have found that matcha green tea is really helping me get through the fast days.

I drank matcha almost every day before I started 5:2, but I have discovered since starting just how useful it is for long-term energy and also reducing appetite.

It contains caffeine, but something about the release of it means you don't get a quick hit, rather a gentle lift over a few hours. There's lots of stuff on the internet that also claims it helps weight loss by boosting the metabolism, but I think the jury's out about that. I just know that it's really helping me through.

It varies in quality a lot, and is also quite pricey, but I think well worth it for the good stuff. I mostly have Teapigs - see details here, has lots more info about it: http://www.teapigs.co.uk/tea/matcha_shop

Also have a tin of Jing which is the really really good stuff I don't have every day: http://jingtea.com/tea/type/green/matcha-supreme

Cheaper options are available, but you very much get what you pay for and the really cheap stuff isn't nice at all IMHO. Also stay away from low grade cooking matcha as it isn't nice to drink on its own and hasn't got most of the (reported) health benefits.
Re: Tip: Matcha green tea
19 Mar 2013, 13:49
Thanks for the tip m.m.leach. I may be looking at trying it out! How's the flavour? I love tea but just curious :smile:
19 Mar 2013, 14:02
It's very hard to describe as it's not like anything else. It is certainly a key umami flavour though. Not bitter like some green teas can be, yet full and complicated and smooth. I don't have the language to describe it!
15 Jul 2013, 09:33
Has anyone tried matcha or green tea powder from Thailand?
4 posts Page 1 of 1